Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Exhibition costs

Posted 11-22-2019 09:38 AM
    Should museums be more upfront on the process of creating exhibits and the costs involved in exhibition planning on their websites? Would public accessibility to this info be beneficial?

------------------------------
    Erik Marcinik
    Intern/Student
    Program in Museum Studies - New York University
    New York NY
    AAM Annual Meeting & MuseumExpo, Baltimore, May 16-19, 2024, click to learn more

• 2.  RE: Exhibition costs

Posted 11-25-2019 04:52 PM
    Hi Erik,
    I think museums should share this information within the industry more freely. I'm not sure their websites are the best place as their website audience is primarily visitors, not industry professionals. Maybe sharing in journals, blogs or special places on their website would be ideal. I think the more transparent the industry is on what things costs, did they get a return on investment, how should I draft a proposal, what amount of hours is this going to take and the like would beneficial to the industry as a whole. The better we all get, the more inspirational museums will be to the public.

We share this type of information on our website, like our budgeting tool: https://www.taylorstudios.com/download/diy-budgeting-tool/ We often share how much time our clients can expect to use to get through a project. Many have no idea about these types of things and we do the best we can to educate. If more helped educate I think we all could do better work.

Betty Brennan
    President
    Taylor Studios, Inc.
    Rantoul IL

AAM Annual Meeting & MuseumExpo, Baltimore, May 16-19, 2024, click to learn more