Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Donor list

Posted 10-21-2021 09:18 AM
    I am the President of the board of a small museum. Our newsletter editor wants to include a list of donors in the winter newsletter, which has as done under previous presidents. She thinks it is a good way to thank them and expected because “everyone does it.” Another board member and I would rather use the space for articles, and maybe design a holiday card or special letter for members. I would appreciate some input from other museums. Do members really value seeing a list of names?

Sent from my iPhone
    AAM Annual Meeting & MuseumExpo, Baltimore, May 16-19, 2024, click to learn more

• 2.  RE: Donor list

Posted 10-21-2021 09:35 AM
    Have you had the opportunity to ask your members what they would prefer? 

Regards, 
    Diane Gutenkauf 

Diane Gutenkauf
    Get Outlook for iOS

AAM Annual Meeting & MuseumExpo, Baltimore, May 16-19, 2024, click to learn more

• 3.  RE: Donor list

Posted 10-22-2021 03:24 PM
    Edited by Molly Nevius 10-22-2021 03:26 PM

Hi, Sharon, 

It is my experience donors appreciate and enjoy seeing their names listed. Though each donor has individual motivations for donating, by acknowledging them, you acknowledge you cannot fulfill the mission without them. It also can attract additional donors. 

As for your alternative ideas, I think they are valid and useful. Could you possibly embed the article or card in the newsletter to maximize space? It is impressive your donor list would take up as much space as you suggest, which also hits on my point above.

Good luck!

Molly Nevius 

------------------------------
    Molly Nevius
    President
    Kansas Alliance for the Arts in Education
    ksallianceforarts.com
    ------------------------------

• 4.  RE: Donor list

Posted 10-25-2021 10:11 AM
    Hi Sharon, 

I agree with Molly on this.  Not all donors are concerned about "having their name in lights" as the saying goes but some enjoy seeing their name on a list!  Acknowledging them in multiple formats is a way we show our appreciation to them because not everyone may go to the website to see the list of names or in person if they are on a donor wall in the museum.  These are all examples of how we acknowledge our donors depending on the level.  To your question about a newsletter, we are doing something new next year in our first newsletter for 2022. It goes out in March (I believe) and will have an insert with names of all donors who gave in 2021.  That way we are not taking up any space for articles regarding programming, upcoming exhibits, special events, etc.  We are listing them in alphabetical order vs. largest to smallest donation as it makes it easier to find names.  Again, this is something new for us. I did have to discuss this a few times with our programs director who publishes the newsletter to get her on board!  I have seen this in other nonprofit publications, and it seems like it should be easier to manage than listing names every time a newsletter is printed.  Hope this is helpful! 

Lori Quarles 
    Membership | Outreach Coordinator 
    Mississippi Department of Archives and History