Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Collections Management System integration Enterprise DAM systems

Posted 08-27-2019 12:34 PM
    Edited by Alexander Buono 08-27-2019 01:39 PM
    ​​Greetings all,

I'm currently tasked for my institution (The Ringling) to conduct exploratory research in TMS or a similar Collections Management system's integration into enterprise DAM systems. I've been able to conduct direct outreach to museums of similar size, budget, collections, etc., but hoping that posting here can cast a wider net.

In essence, we want to know how institution's Collection Management systems "talk" to the DAM, and what the overall workflow looks like between the two systems.

This may be a query more for offline discussions, but any guidance would be appreciated as I'm sure many endeavored on this path or are actively doing so as well!

Best,
    Alex

------------------------------
    Alexander Buono
    Archival Fellow
    John & Mable Ringling Museum of Art
    Sarasota FL
    ​​
    AAM Annual Meeting & MuseumExpo, Baltimore, May 16-19, 2024, click to learn more

• 2.  RE: Collections Management System integration Enterprise DAM systems

Posted 08-28-2019 09:48 AM
    Alexander,

I don't have an answer for you, but am also very interested in this topic.

Nanci Gasiel
    Museum Director
    Salvaton Army Central Territory Museum

Nancilee Gasiel
    Historical Museum Director
    Salvation Army Central Territory Museum
    Hoffman Estates IL

AAM Annual Meeting & MuseumExpo, Baltimore, May 16-19, 2024, click to learn more

• 3.  RE: Collections Management System integration Enterprise DAM systems

Posted 08-28-2019 10:13 AM
    Dear Alex,

I am no longer with the institution, but the Clyfford Still Museum has successfully integrated Luna with their CMS (Qi, by Keepthinking). You can contact the Associate Curator there for more information (Bailey Placzek, bplaczek@clyffordstillmuseum.org). 

Best,
    Emily Kosakowski
    Associate Registrar/Database Administrator
    Denver Art Museum
    ekosakowski@denverartmuseum.org

Emily Kosakowski
    Associate Registrar/Database Administrator
    Denver Art Museum
    Denver CO

• 4.  RE: Collections Management System integration Enterprise DAM systems

Posted 08-28-2019 10:34 AM
    Hi Emily,

Thank you for the info, much appreciated.

Best,
    Alex

Alexander Buono
    Archival Fellow
    John & Mable Ringling Museum of Art
    Sarasota FL

• 5.  RE: Collections Management System integration Enterprise DAM systems

Posted 08-29-2019 10:27 AM
    Alex,

I'll draw your attention to a Mellon-funded study we did on behalf of LYRASIS into the technology landscape for collections management, link below and available on the LYRASIS website. True integrations are a real challenge, with some CMS vendors claiming an export is an integration. Most setups regard the CMS as the authority and regularly sync one-way with a DAMS to add metadata, for example. With a couple of exceptions, full-function APIs for collections management are not available. I know of explicit two-way integrations between TMS-PICTION, TMS-NetX, CollectionSpace-PICTION.

See:

https://www.lyrasis.org/Leadership/Pages/Museum-Collections-Management.aspx

Nik Honeysett
    Chief Executive Officer
    Balboa Park Online Collaborative
    San Diego CA

• 6.  RE: Collections Management System integration Enterprise DAM systems

Posted 08-29-2019 10:42 AM
    Edited by Koven Smith 08-29-2019 11:06 AM
    Alexander (and others),

How your DAMS and your CMS "talk" to one another depends on what systems you're using as well as what level of integration between the two systems you're hoping to achieve. A fairly "tight" integration would generally mean that there is two-way communication between the two systems: your DAMS stores all the images of your collection and updates them automatically in the CMS, and updates made to the metadata in an object record in the CMS are automatically reflected in the DAMS.

This kind of integration is usually facilitated via application programming interfaces (APIs) that are built into both the DAMS and the CMS. These interfaces allow for the programmatic exchange of data between the systems in a structured way. This is where it gets a little complicated, because while most DAM systems have fairly robust APIs built in, many collections management systems either have no API at all, or don't have one that is robust enough to facilitate this kind of data exchange. If this is the case (as it often is) the integration will often have to be achieved via some custom integration code that is either built by the DAM vendor, the CMS vendor, or the museum itself.

I often find for this reason that it's useful, when talking to DAMS vendors, to ask if they've done previous integrations with your specific CMS. Many DAMS vendors will assume that the CMS in the equation will have a nice API and will promise that they can easily integrate with it. The marketing person will first usually tell you that they can integrate with any remote data source, but blanch when you ask about integrating with your 20-year-old version of embARK or whatever it is.

If you don't yet have a CMS, or are contemplating replacing the one you have, you should push the CMS vendors you're talking to for information about their API so you will have a better sense of how easy/difficult an integration with a DAMS may be further down the road.

Hope this helps, but I'm happy to talk further if you have more questions on this! 

Koven

Koven Smith
    Non-Profit Digital Strategy
    Austin, TX
    https://kovenjsmith.com

• 7.  RE: Collections Management System integration Enterprise DAM systems

Posted 08-30-2019 09:59 AM
    Hi Alex, 

I'll second Nik and Koven, and add ResourceSpace to the mix, an open-source DAMS with some TMS integration. We use it at WCMA.

Such discussions certainly highlight opportunities--will be fun when our systems start thinking about images as first-class sources of collection data in their own right.

Best of luck,
    Chad

Chad Weinard
    Museum technologist + experiences + strategy
    Director, WCMA Digital, Williams College Museum of Art
    @caw_

• 8.  RE: Collections Management System integration Enterprise DAM systems

Posted 08-30-2019 02:02 PM
    Thank you all! This has been helpful to compile and gain insight from your responses.

Best,
    Alex​

Alex Buono
    Archives Fellow,
    The Ringling
    914.494.1369(c)