Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Developing hard skills while out of work?

Posted 03-16-2020 02:54 PM
    Hello Museum Community,

As I find myself with weeks off from work amidst this crisis, I am exploring ways to better myself professionally by developing hard skills. I am early in my museum career and without a master's degree I would like to supplement my resume with hard skills. So far I have downloaded Adobe Creative Cloud and am trying to increase my design experience. Other ideas I have are to take a grant writing course, does anyone recommend a certain program?

And then what other hard skills do you say really stand out in museum job interviews? I know it depends on the job, but I am looking for general advice for someone interested in nonprofit management, interpretation, Education/visitor services, admin assistance, development etc. on what I can be doing during my down time to make me stand out.

Thank you, any ideas are appreciated!!

------------------------------
    Visitor Services
    Washington DC
    AAM Annual Meeting & MuseumExpo, Baltimore, May 16-19, 2024, click to learn more

• 2.  RE: Developing hard skills while out of work?

Posted 03-17-2020 06:28 AM
    In Curatorial work, I find all these useful: Photoshop, PowerPoint, Excel (and Google Docs versions of the lay 2). It's also good to have passable photo skills. And I learned to edit video for one project. The one I know is Final Cut X because I have a Mac at home but there are simpler ones that are cheaper. And if you think you might do video, knowing something about mic'ing people is useful.

Laura Vookles
    Chief Curator of Collections
    Hudson River Museum
    Yonkers NY

AAM Annual Meeting & MuseumExpo, Baltimore, May 16-19, 2024, click to learn more

• 3.  RE: Developing hard skills while out of work?

Posted 03-17-2020 07:33 AM
    Hi, Hannah - as has been demonstrated, anything you can learn about creating online tours, videography, distance learning and other ways that museums can stay both relevant, and on the radar during times like these!  Vivian

Vivian F. Zoë, Director
    Slater Memorial Museum
    108 Crescent Street, Norwich CT 06360
    860-425-5560 vox
    860-885-0379 fax

"Inspiration is for amateurs - the rest of us just show up and get to work," Chuck Close, 2003

Please note:  The information contained in this e-mail and any attachments hereto is intended only for the personal and confidential use of the designated recipients.  If the reader/recipient of this message is not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that you have received this e-mail and all attachments hereto in error and that any review, dissemination, distribution or copying of this e-mail or any of its attachments is strictly prohibited.  If you have received this communication in error, please notify the sender immediately by e-mail and destroy the original message received.  Thank You.

• 4.  RE: Developing hard skills while out of work?

Posted 03-17-2020 08:16 AM
    Hi Hannah,

I have the strong belief that our field could really benefit more from formal project management skills. There are many online courses. Being a great project manager is a powerful asset. 

Another thing to think about: it's an opportunity to learn more about racial equity, access, and inclusion. Familiarity with the principles, resources, and how to facilitate learning processes for groups is another strong attribute.

Good luck, and good thinking!

Michelle Moon
    Chief Program Officer
    Tenement Museum
    New York, NY
    mmoon@tenement.org

• 5.  RE: Developing hard skills while out of work?

Posted 03-18-2020 08:29 AM
    I commend you for recognizing the value that will come from adding grant writing skills to your portfolio. I don't have a particular class to suggest but would encourage you to start with the basics, which is learning how to research grant opportunities.

Lots of databases out there, and lots of places periodically offer free workshops on how to navigate them. Sometimes a university whose library has a subscription to such resources will offer a free tutorial on how to navigate them, open to anyone who is allowed to use the library, which might include the general public, not just students and faculty. Another free resource is grants.gov but of course their tutorials and guides will be limited to federal grant opportunities.

Being able to say you have taken a class on grant writing is a great thing to drop into the conversation during an interview. Being able to say, "Have you thought about X, Y, and Z Foundations as possible funders for your [name the program]?" might be even more impressive.

Deborah Smith
    Consultant Belfast Maine