Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  ethics

Posted 02-24-2017 11:22 AM

I have a question about ethics, recently our museum was given a large bottle collection.  I had two of my board members come along to help me with boxing and moving the collection to our museum. one of my board members I noticed was being very overly chummy with one of the donors. the next thing that I noticed is that she was receiving items that were an interest to her and her collection not the museums. I really do not know how to handle this I find this behavior to be rather unethical but at the same time the donor was looking to get rid of these certain items so am I wrong in thinking that this was out of line for this board member to do receive these items or is this ok behavior?  

Cynthia Mallery
    Coordinator
    Smith-Zimmermann Museum
    605-256-5308
    AAM Annual Meeting & MuseumExpo, Baltimore, May 16-19, 2024, click to learn more

• 2.  RE: ethics

Posted 02-27-2017 09:04 AM
    Dear All:

My experience is that a curator does not collect in the same area as the museum as it will creates direct conflict of interest between collecting vs for collecting for the institution. Who will receive the best objects - the museum or the curator?

Best Wishes,

Rebeka Ceravolo, Registrar
    P.O. Box 368
    University of Notre Dame
    Notre Dame, IN 46556-0368
    Phone: 574-631-4727, FAX 574-631-8893
    For FedEx please use "100 Moose Krause Circle"

AAM Annual Meeting & MuseumExpo, Baltimore, May 16-19, 2024, click to learn more

• 3.  RE: ethics

Posted 02-28-2017 10:39 AM
    Thank you really good advice, this was point I had not even thought of!

------------------------------
    Cynthia Mallery
    Coordinator
    Smith-Zimmermann State Museum
    Madison SD

• 4.  RE: ethics

Posted 02-27-2017 09:54 AM
    What a shame! This is absolutely unethical. A Conflict of Interest statement that addresses this should be a part of your policies and board members should sign these statements annually. Addressing this particular situation will be difficult, but you might speak to the board president about it. You have another member who also witnessed this, so that may help. 

Angie Albright
    Director
    Clinton House Museum
    Fayetteville AR

• 5.  RE: ethics

Posted 02-27-2017 05:22 PM
    In general, when Board members act outside their Board duties, they should understand that in that context they are operating as volunteers and so should be taking direction from staff; i.e. in this case they were there to box and move, not be involved in decision-making.  A clearer process might have been for you to inventory the collection with the donor and list or set aside the objects to be added to your collection. At a later date volunteers could help you box and move the selected items. If the donor wanted to make arrangements later with anyone interested in the remaining bottles, that would not be a conflict of interest. If you and the Board member were simulatenously making decisions about "these are mine, and these are the museum's," the situation is open for unintentionallly unethical behavior, in that the Board member is collecting in the same areas as the museum.  When a Board member and a museum collect in the same area, the museum must always be given right of first refusal. (Board members should also never be able to accept items deaccessioned from the museum.) 

All this should be spelled out in an Ethics Policy signed by Board members at the beginning of the year, just as a refresher.

Elizabeth Stewart PhD
    Director
    Renton History Museum
    Renton WA

• 6.  RE: ethics

Posted 02-28-2017 10:47 AM
    Thank You so much for your advice, this has given me a lot to think about and has sent me on a mission to find our ethic guide lines..

Cynthia Mallery
    Coordinator
    Smith-Zimmermann State Museum
    Madison SD

• 7.  RE: ethics

Posted 02-28-2017 09:54 AM
    The comments by others are on target regarding the ethical violations in this situation, and the urgency of having written policies that all agree to abide to. The only quibble I might have is that curators or board members who collect in the same area as the museum are not always a thing to be avoided. The knowledgeable connoisseur can be a tremendous asset, PROVIDED people can be trusted to act with integrity, and with those written policies in place to serve as the constant reminder of that necessity. Having collection expertise on hand (paid staff or volunteers) can save the museum a lot of time, effort, consulting fees, and potential loss of reputation.

Deborah Smith
    Consultant Belfast Maine