Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Data driven exhibition design

Posted 02-23-2018 11:53 AM
    Hi all - I'm not sure how to ask, so here it goes: I am wondering if anyone has a method for the evaluation of exhibition idea and themes before they go into research, planning, fabrication and installation.  Looking to generate and use data to meet the public interest/expectations for exhibitions.

Currently we have a rubric of mission objectives that we follow at the i.d.e.a. Museum, then we have focus groups in education and the community, who are asked to evaluate the theme on their expectations and desires for a theme. It has been successful, but it isn't codified. We recently had an exhibition that did not do as well has we had anticipated, so we are looking to see if there is any museum that is employing a system to make an exhibition a pre-success with their patrons.

Thank you!

------------------------------
    Jeffory Morris MBA
    Museum Curator
    i.d.e.a. Museum
    Mesa AZ
    AAM Annual Meeting & MuseumExpo, Baltimore, May 16-19, 2024, click to learn more

• 2.  RE: Data driven exhibition design

Posted 02-26-2018 10:14 AM
    Please reply to the list if possible - Models and examples would be useful for so many of us!

Michelle Moon
    Director of Interpretation and Program Evaluation
    The Newark Museum
    Newark NJ

AAM Annual Meeting & MuseumExpo, Baltimore, May 16-19, 2024, click to learn more

• 3.  RE: Data driven exhibition design

Posted 02-26-2018 11:00 AM
    I love the formative visitor research the interpretation team at the Indianapolis Museum of Art conducts-their Museums and the Web 2016 paper does a good job describing various methods:

https://mw2016.museumsandtheweb.com/proposal/a-seat-at-the-table-giving-visitors-a-voice-in-exhibition-development-through-user-testing/

Desi Gonzalez
    Manager of digital engagement
    The Andy Warhol Museum
    Pittsburgh PA

• 4.  RE: Data driven exhibition design

Posted 02-27-2018 08:47 PM
    Hello, Jeffory.

We used the IDEO Human-Centered Design methodology to create and evaluate the design concept of our new zoo (we're relocating). I presented a paper with the results at the WAZA Annual Conference of 2016. I enclose a link to the Prezi presentation:  Would you let visitors design your zoo?

I'd be happy to share more information if you like. Send me your email.

Best regards,

Farah Ajami Peralta
    Executive Director
    f.ajami@zoobaq.org
    Barranquilla Zoo
    Barranquilla, Colombia