Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Kiosk software for touch screen computer

Posted 11-02-2018 11:03 AM

Good Morning,

Currently we are using several all-in-one touchscreen computers mounted in bezels/stanchions made in-house to provide access to many pages of images and labels.  We have hired people to do the coding and other steps necessary  to "lock down" the computer for security and make images with imbedded hot-spots, allowing visitors to select specific artifacts within a photo for more information on that particular artifact.  Digital labels, content density, elimination of the majority of paper labels-this is the nirvana we seek.

For our next installation, we wish to do the same, with the addition of making a web site available for viewing, with most of its links and features working.  Due to several circumstances, we prefer to have the web site hosted on the computer's hard drive, rather than access it from the web.  I'd prefer that the site pages be treated just like the other images or text pages as we've done in the past rather than rely on our patchy internet access.

I've been reading in the archives where some of you skilled people have assembled such kiosks from beer cans and arduino boards, and I'm seriously impressed.  Unfortunately, we have neither the in-house skill nor the time to learn them.  So here's the question....

Has anybody used proprietary kiosk software to accomplish the ends we're talking about?  I've seen several and they seem to have the feature set we're looking for, with the possible exception of the web site being hosted on the computer hard drive.  Any guidance would be appreciated, I'm sure you folks have done this, please let me know how you did it!  And any preferences as to software and providers is particularly to be desired.

Thanks in advance,

Curtis Morris

Exhibits

Shiloh Museum of Ozark History

Springdale Arkansas

AAM Annual Meeting & MuseumExpo, Baltimore, May 16-19, 2024, click to learn more

• 2.  RE: Kiosk software for touch screen computer

Posted 11-05-2018 10:01 AM
    I am very interested in this as well and have an additional question. What hardware/computer/tablet do you recommend? We started out using iPads, which were frustrating in the early years.

------------------------------
    Fran Orlando
    Director, Exhibitions & Artmobile
    Bucks County Community College
    Newtown, PA

AAM Annual Meeting & MuseumExpo, Baltimore, May 16-19, 2024, click to learn more

• 3.  RE: Kiosk software for touch screen computer

Posted 11-05-2018 10:05 AM
    Hi Curtis, If you need to lock down an all-in-one (Windows) computer, I'd take a look at Kioware. If you're working with iOS, I'd recommend KioskPro. It's a workhorse in museums. Both can lock down the device and run local web applications.

Best,
    Chad

Chad Weinard
    Manager of Digital Initiatives, Williams College Museum of Art
    Museum Technology Consultant

• 4.  RE: Kiosk software for touch screen computer

Posted 11-05-2018 10:06 AM
    Hello Fran,

We looked into IPads, but by the time we were serious, all-in-one touch screen computers became affordable.  With the larger screen and Windows OS, it was just easier to work with.  Really that is all the hardware we're using in our kiosks, I build a box around the computer and mount it on a stand.  The box restricts access to power cords, USB ports, power button, etc.  

That's the easy part!  We've hired folks to write code to lock visitors out of the OS, and I've seen software available on-line to do that.  My question is, has anybody used any of these software packages, and what is their experience?

Curtis Morris
    Exhibits Manager
    Springdale AR

• 5.  RE: Kiosk software for touch screen computer

Posted 11-05-2018 10:14 AM
    Hello Chad,

I'll have another look at Kioware, thanks!  Didn's see your response before I posted that last.
    If you don't mind, why Kioware, and are there any gotchas I need to know about?
    Thanks!

Curtis Morris
    Exhibits Manager
    Springdale AR

• 6.  RE: Kiosk software for touch screen computer

Posted 11-06-2018 10:04 AM
    Hi Curtis
    Good to see you here again. 
    Looks like you have handled the hardware/OS/content part of your interactive programming satisfactorily in the past, but your main issue is with local hosting. Is the website that you are referring to a current internet hosted website?  
    I'd be happy to discuss the finer details of your plight and pursue options with you. 
    Best regards,
    Alan

AlanEidson
    Interpretive Filmmaker/Interactive Designer
    alan@eidsonstudios.com

• 7.  RE: Kiosk software for touch screen computer

Posted 11-07-2018 11:25 AM
    Edited by Raymond Stivala 11-07-2018 04:21 PM
    I have developed kiosk security software that will start a Chrome browser and in the <g class="gr_ gr_97 gr-alert gr_gramm gr_inline_cards gr_run_anim Punctuation only-ins replaceWithoutSep" id="97" data-gr-id="97">event</g> the browser crashed the user will not have any access to the system (note I have never had the browser crash).  The software will reboot the system every night and email you when the device has been restarted.  If I don't receive an email I check the computer and make sure it's up and running but this does not happen often.  Tablets tend to be a problem because if the power is turned off they use the battery and when the battery dies it goes into a sleep mode and you need a user to turn it back on. There is no auto power-on feature like on a regular computer.

Since 2014 I have been developing this software and making it better as time goes on.  I use Android tablets (which uses different software but achieves the same result), Windows tablets and Windows PC's.  To prevent screen burn I use the tablet's camera and if there is no user input or if the camera does not detect a person after 5 minutes the screen will dim.  I use Arduino as motion sensors for Windows PCs that don't have a camera or if I need a motion sensor in a remote location.  You can also add a USB camera if you want.

Building a good user interface for this is very important here are some tips

1. KISS (Keep It Simple Silly) we all know what the last word should be. :)
    2. Large buttons make it easier for visitors of all levels to interface with the device
    3. Design a good interface and use it as much as you can. The visitor will learn the interface once then will be able to interface with other devices with greater ease.
    4. Test the interface with as many users as possible with all different types of skill levels.

Here is an example of a 32" touchscreen using a Windows PC - Note the large accordion style buttons.  Chrome Browser

Here is another simple user interface with large buttons.  This was built on a Windows Tablet and chrome browser

This is using the same interface as above but on an Android tablet. I used the same interface because these exhibits are about 10' from each other.  Notice no hole for the camera, these tablets were created before I developed that part of the software.

Since these tables are used as label copy we needed a simple way for users to select items that were on display.  I took a photo of the objects on the wall as a way for visitors to navigate the objects.

Here is the Windows Tablet before the camera detects a visitor.  The screen is dimmed to about 30%.

Here is the screen after the Windows Tablet detects motion. Brightness goes to 100%.  This is also the attract screen which is also visible when dimmed.

Using my software requires a few steps to get set it up correctly e.g. you need to prevent some windows popups and things but nothing too bad. 

Currently, all tablets run the content locally. I set up a local windows server which is easy to set up and allows for our <g class="gr_ gr_94 gr-alert gr_spell gr_inline_cards gr_run_anim ContextualSpelling ins-del" id="94" data-gr-id="94">interactives</g> to work locally or on the web. I prefer this setup just-in-case our WiFi goes down but it will also work on any devices that get <g class="gr_ gr_109 gr-alert gr_spell gr_inline_cards gr_run_anim ContextualSpelling multiReplace" id="109" data-gr-id="109">it's</g> content from the web.  Just be careful if you are using it locally that all javascript/fonts or any third party codes are downloaded and set up to run locally.

If you want more details please let me know.

Raymond Stivala
    Manager of Web/Multimedia Development
    The Newark Museum
    Newark NJ

• 8.  RE: Kiosk software for touch screen computer

Posted 11-08-2018 10:30 AM
    Hello Raymond,
    You're the guy I was referring to that builds things out of nothing and arduino boards....
    What you're doing is both impressive, and probably over my head!  I'm going to re-read your post a few times and let it sink in. then I may have some questions for you.  Again, what you're doing is pretty cool, and thanks for sharing your ideas.

Curtis Morris
    Exhibits Manager
    Springdale AR

• 9.  RE: Kiosk software for touch screen computer

Posted 11-09-2018 11:31 AM
    Curtis,

Thank you for your kind words.  My goal is not just to have great visitor interactives but to also limit backend issues. Like devices plugged into outlets that are controlled by a switch and now what happens when the switch is turned off.  Many commercial products do not have an auto on feature and for good reason. Think if your TV had auto on during a power failure and at night the power is turned on and now your TV is blasting.

Here is my latest build.  We wanted to use Mini-projectors in an exhibit but they don't have an autoplay feature and no auto on in addition they have a built-in battery (The battery creates other issues like what if the projector power was turned off for only a few seconds the battery would have kept the projector on). So I built an Arduino timer that will transmit an IR remote signal to power on and arrow over and play the video.  I also have a light sensor to detect if the project is off and the system will turn it back on and if it's on.  This also saves wear and tear on the device because the Arduino will turn it off after hours and back on in the morning.

If you have any questions please let me know.

Raymond  

Raymond Stivala
    Manager of Web/Multimedia Development
    The Newark Museum
    Newark NJ

• 10.  RE: Kiosk software for touch screen computer

Posted 11-08-2018 11:54 AM
    Hi Curtis, 

A few years back we've work on just the setup you described. After designing and launching a website, the client asked us to make a section of it (interactive map) available on offline touchscreen stations, to be used at their visitors' center. 

For hardware we selected 24", all-in-one Dell PCs. These came with Windows OS installed and we made do.

For kiosk software we used Inteset Secure Lockdown, Chrome edition, which on OS startup launches Chrome browser, launches any other apps your project requires, and locks out everything else. 

Next-and sounds like this is the only additional step to add to your setup-we needed web and database servers to install and run our website locally, on each machine. We installed XAMPP, an Apache distribution that comes with MariaDB and PHP, all required for our CMS.

With all this in place, we adjusted our site design to make best use of this specific screen size and touch input, we set kiosk app to launch XAMPP on boot, and launch Chrome in full screen and with our local site loaded. 

Hope this helps. Let me know if you need any more details.

Veselin Cuparic
    Founder/Principal Designer
    Visual Culture LLC
    Brooklyn, NY