Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Fine art, Folk art and etymology

Posted 02-01-2022 09:39 AM
    Hello everyone -

I am currently teaching an elective course about the intersection of art and history for 11th and 12th grade students. I would like to engage the students in discussion about the etymology of Fine and Folk art. Specifically, we are looking at power dynamics, social structures and the art or movements that informed those decisions. Yep, there are a lot of juicy topics to explore here. This is the first year that this course is being taught and I anticipate many revisions will be made in the future. 

I am reaching out to my venerable museum community to crowdsource your favorite resources for these essential questions:

1. What are the histories and practices of the terms "fine", "folk" and "applied" arts?

2. Are these terms globally accepted: Who uses these terms? Who does not? (Full disclosure: this is my favorite exploration!)

3. How do these categories of collection and academic study vary from region to region? 

4. Who makes these decisions and who supports them?

And of course, any and all resources pertaining to the history of museums and collecting are welcome! My bookshelves and bookmarks are full of materials, but one there are always more to explore. Always!

I am hoping that by posting this query here, our community can come together and crowdsource resources for one another. I know that I am good company in my pursuit of learning and sharing. 

Best,
    Liz Titone

------------------------------
    Liz Titone
    AAM Annual Meeting & MuseumExpo, Baltimore, May 16-19, 2024, click to learn more

• 2.  RE: Fine art, Folk art and etymology

Posted 02-02-2022 06:59 AM
    Coming from a Museum of Archaeology and Anthropology / Ethnology . . .
    Well, we rarely use the word "ART" let alone distinguish between 'fine' 'folk' or 'applied art'
    What we look at is material cultural and craftmanship in making the object.

There are some mighty fine looking flint points like the Folsom and Clovis points.

Chrisso Boulis
    Registrar Records
    Penn Museum
    T: 215-898-4088

AAM Annual Meeting & MuseumExpo, Baltimore, May 16-19, 2024, click to learn more

• 3.  RE: Fine art, Folk art and etymology

Posted 02-02-2022 09:42 AM

You should contact George Neubert at the Flatwater Folk Art Museum in Brownville, Nebraska. He is an expert on the subject.

• 4.  RE: Fine art, Folk art and etymology

Posted 02-02-2022 10:45 AM
    Since "folk art" may also encompass aspects of what is termed "craft," Glenn Adamson's book Craft: An American History may provide some interesting background for you and your students.

• 5.  RE: Fine art, Folk art and etymology

Posted 02-03-2022 07:41 AM
    An older book but still helpful re: etymology is Beyond Necessity: Art in the Folk Tradition (1978). You can get a quick overview from a review by Betty Jane Belanus, a professor at Indiana University's Dept. of Folklore and Ethnomusicology in the journal, Folklore Forum (1980). https://scholarworks.iu.edu/dspace/handle/2022/1716?show=full

• 6.  RE: Fine art, Folk art and etymology

Posted 02-02-2022 12:26 PM
    You might want to take a look at the Museo Larco website. The Museo Larco is a Peruvian museum that treats what we have traditionally called ethnographic objects as works of fine art. It is a spectacular place to visit, and has a wonderful website, Museo Larco
    Museo Larco remove preview
    Museo Larco
    ABRIMOS TODOS LOS DÍAS, INCLUIDO FERIADOS Horario de atención: Lunes a domingo de 11:00 a.m. a 7:00 p.m. Horario reducido: 24, 25, 31 de diciembre y 1 de enero de 11:00 a.m. a 6:00 p.m. UBICACIÓN Av. Simón Bolívar 1515, Pueblo Libre, Lima 21, Perú Entrada principal por la calle Navarra.
    View this on Museo Larco >

John Simmons
    Curator of Collections
    Museologica
    Bellefonte PA

• 7.  RE: Fine art, Folk art and etymology

Posted 02-02-2022 02:19 PM
    There may be somethings of use in the SmartHistory commons: Approaches to art history

Lynda Kennedy PhD
    VP Education & Evaluation
    Intrepid Sea-Air-Space Museum
    New York NY

• 8.  RE: Fine art, Folk art and etymology

Posted 02-04-2022 11:35 AM
    Hello All,
    Liz, your question (and your class!) intrigued me. I'm teaching a graduate course called "Decorative Arts for Historic Interiors". It's not the first year I'm teaching it and each year I've been thinking more about "whose decorative arts?".....We know whose things have been collected in museums, for the most part.

I've been looking for writings, postings...that address expanding whose decorative arts so my class and I can have a discussion.  I've not come up with great resources, although all of the postings on this thread are quite related; I may share this with my students this coming week.

So, I'll throw the question out here -- ideas for readings on "decorative arts collections/teaching and social justice"....my search terms.....

Thanks in advance,
    Deborah

Deborah Trupin
    Textile Conservator
    TrupinConservation Services, LLC
    Albany NY

• 9.  RE: Fine art, Folk art and etymology

Posted 02-07-2022 01:34 PM

Hi Deborah, 

The Seattle Art Museum had a great site-specific installation by artist Claire Partington called Taking Tea that addressed some of the issues you mention in relation to dec arts. Here's a link to an article (https://www.artandobject.com/news/taking-tea-examines-legacy-britains-love-porcelain) and the info on SAM's website: https://www.seattleartmuseum.org/Exhibitions/Details?EventId=63663

Rachel Harris
    Asian Art Conservation Center Associate

Interim Gardner Center Coordinator
    she/her

Seattle Art Museum
    p: 206.654.3230
    seattleartmuseum.org

OUR BLUE PLANET Seattle Art Museum, Mar 18 – May 30 2022

FRISSON Seattle Art Museum, through Nov 27 2022

EMBODIED CHANGE Seattle Asian Art Museum, through Jul 10 2022

Get tickets at visitsam.org