Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Art Museum Employee Show participation

Posted 12-11-2019 05:12 PM
    Is there an ethics policy on employees of an art museum entering their own museum show?  Or using museum employees art works (not works created for this specific reason) featured in museum publications?

------------------------------
    Fred Nation
    Executive Director
    Swope Art Museum
    Terre Haute, Indiana
    Fred
    Nation@Swope.org
    812-238-1676 ext 113
    Terre Haute
    Indiana, USA
    AAM Annual Meeting & MuseumExpo, Baltimore, May 16-19, 2024, click to learn more

• 2.  RE: Art Museum Employee Show participation

Posted 12-12-2019 05:52 AM
    I'd be very interested in this thread.  We have an annual state-wide juried exhibition (2020 will our 76th).  We've worked diligently to make it more open and transparent (self=dealing was a problem in the early years).  We have no written policy, but as the director who recruits and acts as host to the Juror (always one different scholar, museum curator or director from another institution OUT of the area) I feel it would be inappropriate for me to enter (although I am a working artist).  I do allow my staff and direct volunteers to enter and they have gotten into the show.  The juror rarely connects the names with people s/he encounters while working the day of jurying.  There is no time to look at attached entry labels.

Very interested in seeing what other museums do and whether they have recommended language!  Thanks for asking this question!
    Vivian F. Zoë, Director
    Slater Memorial Museum
    108 Crescent Street, Norwich CT 06360
    860-425-5560 vox
    860-885-0379 fax

"Inspiration is for amateurs - the rest of us just show up and get to work," Chuck Close, 2003

Please note:  The information contained in this e-mail and any attachments hereto is intended only for the personal and confidential use of the designated recipients.  If the reader/recipient of this message is not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that you have received this e-mail and all attachments hereto in error and that any review, dissemination, distribution or copying of this e-mail or any of its attachments is strictly prohibited.  If you have received this communication in error, please notify the sender immediately by e-mail and destroy the original message received.  Thank You.

AAM Annual Meeting & MuseumExpo, Baltimore, May 16-19, 2024, click to learn more

• 3.  RE: Art Museum Employee Show participation

Posted 12-12-2019 06:29 AM
    Fred:

I'm not aware of a formal industry-wide code of ethics, such as the AAM or AAMD codes, that deals specifically with these issues.  However, in my experience most art museums do not permit their own employees to submit artworks for exhibitions such a juried show of the work of local artists.  Even if the employee has no influence on the selection of works for exhibition, the possible perception of a conflict is typically judged sufficient to warrant a prohibition on employees submitting their work for consideration.  This prohibition may not be specified in an institutional code of ethics, but may instead be outlined in the prospectus for the juried exhibition.  In some institutions the prohibition is extended to include members of the immediate family of Museum employees.  Inclusion of an employee's artwork as an illustration in a museum publication is usually avoided for the same reasons.  Note, in one respect the AAM Code of Ethics speaks to this in very broad language.  In its section on Programs it notes that "programs [should] promote the public good rather than individual financial gain."  Inclusion of an employee's artwork in either a Museum exhibit or publication can be viewed as promoting this individual's work and thus potentially resulting in individual financial gain for the employee.

John E. Coraor
    Cultural Management Partners LLC
    Huntington, NY

• 4.  RE: Art Museum Employee Show participation

Posted 12-12-2019 01:41 PM
    Edited by Azure Attoe 12-12-2019 03:39 PM

I've curated various art shows and worked with
    museums for over 20 years. Just my two cents:

I don't think you should allow employees to participate in a juried show, primarily because the emotional dynamics of winning or losing a spot could likely negatively affect your work culture. Artists make themselves extremely vulnerable in their work. Being turned down for exhibition is emotionally challenging for many and could effect their work satisfaction and professional relationships. People are mostly used to the idea that employees are often excluded from juried shows because of the real or publicly perceived ethical dilemmas. 

Azure Attoe
    Museum Professional

• 5.  RE: Art Museum Employee Show participation

Posted 12-12-2019 02:36 PM
    I don't agree.  Staff who have no direct connection to the show and no contact with the juror should be viewed as any other member of the community.