Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Sexual Harassment Training for Staff & Volunteer Docents

Posted 12-05-2017 01:28 PM
    I manage a small museum that has 4 paid staff and around 15-20 volunteer docents. Since I started three years ago we haven't offered (read: been organized enough to offer) any sort of sexual harassment training, and with the recent issues in the news regarding sexual harassment, the director and myself think it's time to invest in the continued safety of our visitors and fellow staff.

We haven't had any reported incidents yet, but we do struggle with generational differences, such as older docents making light of recent news regarding sexual harassment in front of younger docents. Our docents are given background checks by the city's volunteer department, but they aren't given any further formal training. Our docent handbook touches upon the issue, but doesn't delve into it. We also don't have an official HR dept; myself, the director, and the board are the highest level staff.

How does your museum conduct these trainings? Do you research, construct, and lead the trainings in-house? Or do you hire an independent company to conduct the training for you?

The majority of our docents are retired and struggle with online learning, so I'm hoping to hold an in-person training if possible. I'm just not sure I'm qualified to successfully lead this training myself. Any suggestions or references you have for me would be much appreciated!

------------------------------
    Jessica Woods
    Museum Manager
    Plano, TX
    AAM Annual Meeting & MuseumExpo, Baltimore, May 16-19, 2024, click to learn more

• 2.  RE: Sexual Harassment Training for Staff & Volunteer Docents

Posted 12-06-2017 07:43 AM
    Good idea to do this training! 
    I have taken both mandatory  on-line training and facilitated workshop training for the University where I teach.  Frankly, I find it something that is not as effective as having a knowledgeable and skilled facilitator in the room with you.  One can blow through the assignment and not really retain much.  Talking with real people with their questions and concerns as part of the content is very important. 
    I would recommend looking for an outside facilitator so that all staff, volunteers and board members (yes- especially board members or other governing body members) are on the same footing in the training. You might check the local school district and ask who does their training. Because they work with adults and children, this could be a good fit for addressing different situations. I have also been to museum conference workshops where a lawyer presented some of the legal issues regarding the responsibility of the organization to provide safe and appropriate work conditions for staff/volunteers and the people who visit and use the facility. The person was legal counsel for a statewide museum complex and assisted in developing prevention, reporting and HR policies and procedures.  They also reviewed what the laws are regarding sexual harassment and assault.

This also might be the right time to update your organization's sexual harassment policies and procedures. The training would be part of the implementation of the plan. The review and approval of the plan should be a role for the governing board/governing authority to play. The board/governing authority members should also be fully aware of the legal responsibilities they hold in these matters.

With all that is happening in our culture right now, there should be a lot of good material and facilitators available. (Although, I suspect that getting on their schedule might be challenging.)

Kathryn Boardman
    Principal, Cherry Valley Group
    Adjunct Faculty, Cooperstown Graduate Program - SUNY at Oneonta
    Cooperstown NY

AAM Annual Meeting & MuseumExpo, Baltimore, May 16-19, 2024, click to learn more

• 3.  RE: Sexual Harassment Training for Staff & Volunteer Docents

Posted 12-06-2017 08:48 AM
    I agree that the training would be a good idea in this climate, an in-person might be more effective for an initial training and to capture new staff as they come on an online training could be helpful.

This is the route we are looking to take so we are currently in a search for a workshop/trainer/program to offer out employees as well.  I welcome any others suggested workshops/trainers/programs that others have used in the past with a preference on cultural organizations.

Natalie Rice-Harris
    Institute of Contemporary Art
    Boston MA

• 4.  RE: Sexual Harassment Training for Staff & Volunteer Docents

Posted 12-07-2017 09:53 AM
    I am glad that this question was raised.  Even small, volunteer-run museums should provide trainings on employment policies, especially those which promote both best practices and legal obligations. Safe and appropriate working conditions should be explained and provided to paid and volunteer staff.  Respectful employment conditions are the least that museums can guarantee to staff and volunteers.  Depending on your museum's focus, there may also be a need for child safety training.  

This is one occasion when being part of a large institution is a plus.  I would suggest that you, or your director or board representative, contact the University's HR office to discuss its policies and any adaptations you think necessary for the museum.   Since municipalities set child safety laws and policies, you may also need to arrange trainings with local authorities. 

AAM has sample documents available for Tier 3 members. 
    --
    Barbara Cohen-Stratyner, Ph. D.
    Suite 7C, 265 Riverside Drive
    Now blogging at outsidethemuseumblog on Wordpress.com

James Baldwin - You think your pain and your heartbreak are unprecedented in the history of the world, but then you read. [Early Essays]
    Alice Walker -- Hard times require furious dancing.
    Mila Jasey -- If you are not at the table, you are on the menu

• 5.  RE: Sexual Harassment Training for Staff & Volunteer Docents

Posted 12-08-2017 06:25 AM
    As a HR professional I recommend that you seek advice from one of my peers by contacting the local chapter of SHRM: 
    https://www.shrm.org/communities/communities/chapters/pages/default.aspx

Our professional organization has timely information linked on its home page:

If you want more specific information, we have a group of HR AAM members that meets monthly to discuss best practices in HR in the museum setting.

• 6.  RE: Sexual Harassment Training for Staff & Volunteer Docents

Posted 12-07-2017 08:20 AM
    Hi, Jessica.
    Just like the two earlier commenters, I support harassment training. In researching Women in the Museum: Lessons from the Workplace, Anne Ackerson and I were stunned at the number of museums who don't have HR policies, and, more important, statements defining sexual harassment. It's harder to suggest that behavior is wrong unless you've defined wrong from the beginning. Too often heritage organizations vet employees and volunteers to protect the public and particularly children from harassment, but forget to offer staff training to protect them from similar situations, whether it's the public harassing volunteers or important donors harassing staff. If your organization doesn't have the resources to train, you may want to check with your local chamber of commerce to see who in your business community is doing this kind of training. 
    Joan Baldwin

Joan Baldwin
    Curator-Special Collections - The Hotchkiss School
    Lakeville CT