Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Middle Schooll History Lesson Plan

Posted 12-08-2017 11:22 AM
    I would welcome suggestions or pitfalls for a middle school, history lesson plan for our fledgling museum which has a big outdoor component as the site of the 1939 Golden Gate International Exposition San Francisco's Treasure Island.

Mimi Manning, Vice President
    Treasure Island Museum
    AAM Annual Meeting & MuseumExpo, Baltimore, May 16-19, 2024, click to learn more

• 2.  RE: Middle Schooll History Lesson Plan

Posted 12-11-2017 09:11 AM
    I'm sure there must be many freelance museum educators in your area you could as an independent contractor specifically hire to develop this lesson plan. I'm sure the California Association of Museums can help.

------------------------------
    Daniel Bartlett
    Curator of Exhibits and Education
    Logan Museum of Anthropology - Beloit College
    Beloit WI

AAM Annual Meeting & MuseumExpo, Baltimore, May 16-19, 2024, click to learn more

• 3.  RE: Middle Schooll History Lesson Plan

Posted 12-12-2017 08:52 AM
    ​Over the past 3 years, the USGA Golf Museum had a desire and a need to create curriculum that would meet NJ Core Curriculum Standards. As a result, and because we wanted to tie in key moments and events in history with the evolution of the game, we reached out to a few schools and found a teacher who was able to create 3 separate lesson plans covering K-12, not just middle school. One was on diversity, one covered leadership and the third was related to women's history. So, a great place to start is with a local school district, especially because you may also establish a stronger relationship for consistency in educational field trips.
    If you would like to see our lesson plans simply as a reference, I would be happy to share online or hard copy via mail.
    Feel free to contact me via email...kgianetti@usga.org
    Good luck!
    Kim

Kim Gianetti
    Manager Education & Outreach
    USGA Golf Museum
    Liberty Corner, NJ
    kgianetti@usga.org

• 4.  RE: Middle Schooll History Lesson Plan

Posted 12-13-2017 09:53 AM
    Dear Kim,

I would love to see the lesson plan!  Would you mind posting it here?

Many thanks,

Joi

Joi Jackson Perle
    School Tour, Volunteer Coordinator,
    Social Media Manager
    LongHouse Reserve
    East Hampton NY 11937
    www.longhouse.org

• 5.  RE: Middle Schooll History Lesson Plan

Posted 12-14-2017 09:06 AM

Good morning Joi,

Thank you for your interest in seeing one of our lesson plans. I chose our Diversity curriculum for the 6-8 grade level as it includes an example of an actual historical document. Obviously, this is all related to diversity in the game of golf but you will get the idea as to what we wanted to accomplish for a group of students and teachers. We wanted to bring civil rights into the game and teach diversity in a way that provided a different perspective with a positive and productive outcome.

We are currently working on combining the various pages into one document for our website and for ease in sending out on a request basis.

If I can be of further assistance please let me know.

Merry Christmas, Happy Hanukah and a very prosperous New Year to you!

Kim Gianetti

USGA Golf Museum

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

• 6.  RE: Middle Schooll History Lesson Plan

Posted 12-11-2017 12:25 PM
    Hi Mimi,

Are you looking to create a lesson to be used on site? Or are you using your resources to produce a lesson for teachers to use in the classroom?

In either situation, I recommend prototyping.

For a lessons to be used on site, we have prototyped with staff, asking our colleagues to envision themselves as 6th graders.
    We've also prototyped with self-guided groups. We'll reach out to a group that has a visit scheduled and invite them to participate in an experiment with a new activity. Or we'll reach out to teachers we have relationships with and invite them to visit and participate in an experiment.
    I have found that many teachers enjoy a free experience, even if it might have a few kinks. Their feedback will help you work out the kinks before seeing paid groups.

For in school lessons, invite teachers in your target audience to collaborate in creating the lesson, read the lesson and provide feedback, or test the lesson in their classrooms and come in for a focus group.

Hope this helps. 
    All the best,
    Melissa

Melissa McCracken
    Lead Museum Educator | Oakland Museum of California