Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Museum Worker Burnout Causes & Solutions

Posted 05-24-2021 05:21 PM
    Dear colleagues: [indulgence coveted for cross-posting]

Today's Solving Task Saturation for Museum Workers blog post "Solving Museum Worker Burnout & the 'Immorality of Inaction': FIX CAUSES (vs. Solely Symptom 'Self-Care')" reports on a wide variety of resources that recommend solutions to the problem of burnout among workers in the museum field & the wider world of work.
    An argument is presented that the primary focus in all too many resources on this subject is actually evidence of a serious failure to address the root causes rather than simply the symptoms of burnout on museum workers.
    Necessary practical solutions for addressing poor working conditions leading to burnout in the museum field are identified.
    Respectfully yours
    Paul C. Thistle

------------------------------
    Paul C.Thistle
    Director/Curator (retired)
    Stratford, Ontario
    AAM Annual Meeting & MuseumExpo, Baltimore, May 16-19, 2024, click to learn more

• 2.  RE: Museum Worker Burnout Causes & Solutions

Posted 05-25-2021 01:01 PM
    Thank you for sharing this blog post! I am glad to see someone addressing the root causes of burnout! Burnout was the primary reason I left the museum field for 5 years after my first job. It saddens me to know that one-fifth of museum staff are facing the same problem more than 20 years later.

Susan Baley
    Executive Director
    108 Contemporary
    Tulsa OK

AAM Annual Meeting & MuseumExpo, Baltimore, May 16-19, 2024, click to learn more

• 3.  RE: Museum Worker Burnout Causes & Solutions

Posted 05-26-2021 02:38 PM
    As I said in response to Beth Merritt's blog:

All of these suggestions are nice, but the number one way to prevent museum professional burnout is to treat us like integral and important parts of the museum and pay us all a living wage.

Janice Klein

Tempe AZ

• 4.  RE: Museum Worker Burnout Causes & Solutions

Posted 05-26-2021 03:23 PM
    Edited by Paul Thistle 05-26-2021 06:19 PM
    Dear folks:

Just caught up with these comments. I agree with Janice Klein who made me think about the connection between 'living wage' & the prevention of burnout.

We need to consider for example that half of the relatively highly paid doctors in Canada & two thirds of doctors in the U.S.A report overwork & burnout--& this was 2 full years before current pandemic circumstances (Goldman, 2018; Larkin, 2018). Like museum workers, medical professionals are 'occupational devotees' too.

In this light, high pay in the context of overwork cannot really address the problem of the resulting stress & burnout. Indeed, it potentially may exacerbate burnout by adding pressure to be 'worth' your higher pay. Regardless of how much I am paid, I still am apparently irredeemably stressed, burnt out, & likely looking to leave the field as a result.

We need to fix burnout CAUSES!

For my complete analysis, see the "Decent Working Conditions are Essential for Decent Compensation" pp. 222-244 chapter in Dawn E. Salerno, Mark S. Gold, & Kristina L. Durocher eds. For Love or Money: Confronting the State of Museum Salaries. Edinburgh, UK & Cambridge, MA: MuseumsEtc, pp. 222-224 at https://solvetasksaturation.files.wordpress.com/2019/10/thistle_decentworkingconditions.pdf . {Note that link lists all the chapters & MuseumsEtc gave each author in this book the right to freely distribute their chapter PDFs, so make use of your networks to get free access to read other chapters of interest.}

In the end analysis, fixing one of these problems by itself can do little or nothing to improve the other. Having failed to address both crises for much, much too long now, we--that is "all" stakeholders--have put ourselves in a position where we have to work at fixing them at the same time--admittedly not presently the best of timing for museum worker task saturation or well-being.

Here, I cut & paste something I have blogged before:

Surely, we don’t have to go all “wobbly” on the AAM to set up an International Museum Workers of the World union to get what we need. Joseph Ansel (1995: 92-3, 98-9), in his article on the unionisation of the Exploratorium, recommends the advantages of staff associations as a better alternative to a union.

Ansel, Joseph G. Jr. 1999. “The unionization of the Exporatorium” in Institutional Trauma: Major Change in Museums and Its Effect on Staff, ed. Elaine Heuman Gurian. Washington: American Association of Museums.

In the past, after reading Ansel, I had determined that museum workers' best course of action would in fact be to use our professional museum associations as the much more effective & efficient means of achieving progressive ends collectively as an entire profession rather than to rely on isolated individual institutional staff associations to improve museum working conditions. Sadly, I have found no appetite among the professional museum associations I have associated with in the past 40+ years to address working conditions or pay--including gender pay equity--matters in our industry. Recently, I have started to 'wobble' on my original determination.

One way or the other, it seems to me that, as those negatively affected by burnout, we now have no choice but to 'bell the cat' & begin to take ACTION.

"Nothing worth having comes without some kind of fight / Got to kick at the darkness 'til it bleeds daylight" (Bruce Cockburn 1983 "Lovers in a Dangerous Time" lyric).

Respectfully yours

Paul C.Thistle
    Stratford, Ontario

• 5.  RE: Museum Worker Burnout Causes & Solutions

Posted 05-27-2021 07:47 AM
    And to close the gender pay gap as well. In a field where 50.1 percent of the workforce are women, it makes a bad situation worse.

Joan Baldwin
    Curator-Special Collections - The Hotchkiss School
    Lakeville CT

• 6.  RE: Museum Worker Burnout Causes & Solutions

Posted 05-29-2021 10:20 AM
    This is a very interesting and timely topic.  It seems like one particular thing which has been overlooked is that of the health of employees which is affected by the conditions in which they are required to work.  This is far more important to me than pay, advancement or anything else.  This seems actually the one problem which cannot be solved.  Mostly it has to do with being required to stand for long hours.  Now everything else seems to be fine, it just this pain in my legs I have to endure.  Even after getting medical attention, which is covered, there is still pain which does not go away.  This is actually the only thing in which there does not seem to be anyway to get around it.
    Jerry Foley, Gallery Protective Officer in Washington, D. C.

Jerry Foley
    GPO
    National Gallery of Art
    Washington DC

• 7.  RE: Museum Worker Burnout Causes & Solutions

Posted 05-31-2021 02:43 PM
    Dear Jerry:

I always include "physical" along with "mental, family, & social health" concerns when I write about the impacts of long hours, work intensification, unresourced expectations, etc.  I certainly can sympathise with you, having done casual factory work for 7.5 hours per shift on my feet after retiring from 26+ years of museum work.

I have been somewhat surprised when I sought out my Ontario, Canada jurisdiction regulations about required shift break times just now.

"Under the Employment Standards Act, employers must provide one thirty-minute break from work after every five hours of work. Employers are allowed to provide more breaks if they want, but they cannot provide less than one thirty-minute break from work after every five hours of work."

I had been expecting that workers would be allowed at least 2 other shorter breaks per shift in order to be able to 'take a load off your feet . . . ankles, legs, knees, hips, & back'.

No such 'luck,' justice, or accommodation for workers in Ontario.

Given labour law in Ontario, I guess we have to negotiate collective agreements or perhaps pursue personal accommodations from our employer so that security staff could be offered a simple stool at the right height in the gallery at minimum, or as staff are circulated from one post to another to insert one or two additional stations on a staff room chair for a few minutes.

I hope & pray that you can find some due flexibility from your employer in its unresourced expectation that you will stand for long hours.

Respectfully yours

Paul C.Thistle
    Stratford, Ontario

• 8.  RE: Museum Worker Burnout Causes & Solutions

Posted 06-01-2021 01:29 PM
    Thank you, Paul.  It is good to know that there is someone else who understands the situation.  Presently I am pursuing different medical and professional advice on how to handle this.  The earliest appointment I could get is on the next I am schedule to work so will be taking off for it.  Also, in our locker room yesterday before leaving work one other co-worker did tell me that had read what I had wrote here, so that is good to know as well.
    Jerry Foley

• 9.  RE: Museum Worker Burnout Causes & Solutions

Posted 11-05-2021 09:52 AM
    Jerry:

My response for you & other museum workers in similar circumstances is to take courage, don't give up, & continue to "kick at the darkness 'til it bleeds daylight" (Bruce Cockburn lyric in song "Lovers in a Dangerous Time).

Best wishes to all

Paul

• 10.  RE: Museum Worker Burnout Causes & Solutions

Posted 11-05-2021 02:21 PM
    Edited by Jerry Foley 11-22-2021 12:28 PM
    Perhaps this should actually be started as a new thread since I have already been thinking about it.  However, now that I do have the attention of a few here just thought I would continue with this.  
    Now my main question is this; "Why do museums and galleries have to be constructed with such uncomfortable floors, such as marble in some sections but wood in others?"  This is not only for employees but visitors as well.  Even before working in one I can remember touring some in which after several hours wanting to see more but just not able to because of the pain.  
    Jerry Foley