Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Civic Mission of Museums Part 2

Posted 08-30-2019 04:37 PM
    Hi all,

I posted to this list a while back about a book I'm working on focused on the civic mission of museums- in a nutshell how we, as a field, fulfill our civic mission, serve the public and our communities, and help foster engaged and thoughtful citizens during polarized times. The section I am working on now involves some of the soft skills of engaged citizenship- self-awareness, efficacy, the mental habits of citizens, and I would love to chat with folks who have programs, exhibitions, community chats, etc... to learn more about your work. Specifically I am looking at a couple of categories:

1) Civic Mindset with the Self: How do we teach, share, promote Self-Awareness, Self-Management, Self-Efficacy?
    2) Civic Mindset- connecting to the community: How do we work with our communities to shift from independent individuals to interdependent communities? I am interested in learning from you about your innovative, effective programs on this front.

Thank you in advance for any responses and best wishes for a lovely Labor Day.

Cheers,
    Tony

------------------------------
    Anthony Pennay
    Chief Learning Officer
    Ronald Reagan Presidential Foundation
    Simi Valley CA
    ------------------------------
    AAM Annual Meeting & MuseumExpo, Baltimore, May 16-19, 2024, click to learn more

• 2.  RE: Civic Mission of Museums Part 2

Posted 09-02-2019 08:07 AM
    Hi,
    Modeling to your community through your program what you want them to learn is from my perspective the best way to accomplish what you want to achieve. It might take time and not be obvious.

example - if you want show people how to listen to each other instead of having a q&a after a talk, break people up into groups of 6 people, ask them to talk about what they heard, and if they have questions to ask one per group.

We did that during a program at the MIT Museum for many years, and it helped the audience to really listen and think. I think.

Josie Patterson
    (Retired!) Marketing Director
    MIT Museum
    AAM Annual Meeting & MuseumExpo, Baltimore, May 16-19, 2024, click to learn more

• 3.  RE: Civic Mission of Museums Part 2

Posted 09-03-2019 12:13 PM
    Hi Tony,

At the Museum of Art, University of NH, we partner with the Civil Discourse Lab, an on-campus, student-led communications program modeled after a state-wide program, NH Listens, developed in the University's Carsey Institute for Public Policy. Both of these program train people to facilitate community dialogue around difficult and/or controversial issues. The CDL community conversations we've held developed out of exhibition themes. We held three last year and are holding two this semester around the ideas of freedom and democracy.

Happy to provide additional information offline.

Sincerely,

Kristina L. Durocher
    Director

University of New Hampshire

Paul Creative Arts Center 
    30 Academic Way
    Durham, NH 03824  

(603) 862-1996

Vice President, New England Museum Association, www.nemanet.org
    New England Regional Representative, Association of Academic Museums and Galleries, www.aamg-us.org

On view Aug. 29–Oct. 12, 2019
    Orly Cogan: Children of Eden
    Andy Warhol: #NOFILTER