Open Forum

View Only
Expand all | Collapse all

Remote Internships

• 1.  Remote Internships

Posted 04-08-2020 08:23 AM
    Hi folks, 

I am in the process of compiling a spreadsheet with virtual museum internships. I just want to compile a resource for students who are still looking for opportunities and those of us who are fortunate to still be able to have them. 

Does anyone have any remote internship opportunities for this summer that I could add to this sheet? It seems to be an area of interest and need. While I do have a small sampling, I would love to expand on this list. 

Additionally, I would love to talk to folks who have hosted remote internships before and/or are interested in learning how to do so.

--

Sierra Van Ryck deGroot
    she/her
    Education Programs Manager
    Poster House

____
    To book an educational tour, visit us on Explorable Places.
    Follow us on Instagram @posterhousenyc 

Poster House stands and operates on the ancestral lands of the Lenape peoples - #HonorNativeLands
    AAM Annual Meeting & MuseumExpo, Baltimore, May 16-19, 2024, click to learn more

• 2.  RE: Remote Internships

Posted 04-09-2020 10:12 AM

A few folks have pinged me about this over the past few weeks. @Phyllis Hecht at JHU ​has some feelers out on this topic as well.

------------------------------
    Brendan Ciecko
    CEO & Founder
    Cuseum
    Boston MA

AAM Annual Meeting & MuseumExpo, Baltimore, May 16-19, 2024, click to learn more

• 3.  RE: Remote Internships

Posted 04-09-2020 11:04 AM
    Hi Brendan, 

This is great to know! I just got in touch with the Museum Studies Network team for AAM to pool what we have found. I think there are some JHU people involved in that effort so hopefully all of these efforts are coming together. 

Sierra Van Ryck deGroot
    Poster House
    New York NY

• 4.  RE: Remote Internships

Posted 04-09-2020 11:01 AM
    Hi Sierra - I would love to hear how other museums are conducting remote internships. We just assumed our summer internship would not be occurring this year due to COVID-19. If there are remote options, folks - please share! Thank you!

Diane Ingram
    Museum Supervisor
    Manatee County Agricultural Museum
    Palmetto FL

• 5.  RE: Remote Internships

Posted 04-09-2020 11:12 AM
    Hi Diane, 

This seems to be something that a lot of folks are hoping to do so there is something in the works to help folks with the transition. I hope to have something to share in the near future. 

Sincerely,
    Sierra

Sierra Van Ryck deGroot
    Poster House
    New York NY

• 6.  RE: Remote Internships

Posted 04-14-2020 08:33 AM
    Edited by Kelly Pendleton 04-14-2020 08:36 AM
    Hi Diane,
    I am currently a graduate student in a fellowship (ending April 30th) at a large children's museum. My fellowship was not originally remote but transitioned in mid-March when the museum closed.  I'm in the Research and Evaluation Department so a lot of my work transferred easily to working from home. We are now beginning to move some visitors studies to an online platform because our Spring Break data collection window was hugely impacted. For our day-to-day work, file sharing, and meetings we are using Microsoft Teams which works pretty well for us. 

To Sierra,
    I would love access to your list once it's compiled! I was applying to internships over the summer but as most of them were cancelled, I lost hope in finding one and am currently scrambling to find summer work. Good luck to everyone right now!

Kelly Pendleton
    Indianapolis IN
    kellpend@iu.edu

• 7.  RE: Remote Internships

Posted 04-09-2020 11:08 AM
    Hi Sierra,

I would be interested in learning how other museums have hosted remote internships. We are hoping to have our interns on-site but would like to be prepared to adapt to a remote model if needed.

Thank you,

Laura Westmoreland

Associate Educator

Adult & Community Programs

Pronouns: she/her/hers

••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••

BRANDYWINE

RIVER MUSEUM

OF ART

P.O. Box 141

Chadds Ford, PA 19317

Brandywine.org

• 8.  RE: Remote Internships

Posted 04-10-2020 07:58 AM
    CCHS has received internship inquiries. I've indicated that it's fine to apply (long after the regular deadline). But in the collections department it would be impossible to do it virtually. Since we work with lots of interns with good results, I wanted to make sure that the students felt that someone really is out there taking them seriously. I've encouraged them to submit the application (deadlines out the window!) on the chance that we would reopen in a timely manner but to understand that PA's stay-at-home guidelines would possibly influence the outcome (not mentioning the states nearby that influence some of the supervising staff).

Ellen Endslow
    Director of Collections/Curator
    Chester County Historical Society
    West Chester PA

• 9.  RE: Remote Internships

Posted 04-09-2020 12:03 PM
    Hello Sierra,

I am a undergrad student. I'm currently doing a remote internship that ends on May 2020. I'm looking for more opportunities during the summer and next year. If you can share the resource with me, I would really appreciate it. 

Sincerely,
    Roxanne Cen

Roxanne Cen
    Iowa City IA

• 10.  RE: Remote Internships

Posted 04-10-2020 10:37 AM
    Roxanne, 
    I hope you are hanging in there! I'm glad you are exploring these professional networks.

Please email me and we can work out an internship opportunity.  There are several remote projects you can do that would apply to the Certificate if you were still interested in earning that.  I am teaching MUSM:4084 Museum Professionalism this summer and you can enroll, that would count towards the certificate requirements.  Email me and we can talk via Zoom or email.

Museum on!

Heidi Lung PhD
    Director, Museum Studies
    Museum Studies Program - University of Iowa
    Iowa City IA

• 11.  RE: Remote Internships

Posted 04-10-2020 12:13 PM
    Roxanne, please could you share with all of us how your remote internship worked and what you think are the characteristics (and logistics) of a worthwhile remote internship from the intern's perspective? 
    Lisa

Lisa Falk
    Head, Community Engagement
    Arizona State Museum - University of Arizona
    Tucson AZ

• 12.  RE: Remote Internships

Posted 04-10-2020 12:09 PM
    Hello Sierra, 

I am a Museology Masters student at the University of Washington and I know many of us in my program were hoping to complete our internship hours over the summer. With the many closures happening over the summer having access to this document would be very helpful. If you could share the document with me to pass along to my program that would be wonderful! 

Thank you,
    Kat Pesigan
    Pronouns: she/her/they
    kpesig@uw.edu

Katherine Pesigan
    Museology Graduate Program - University of Washington
    Seattle WA

• 13.  RE: Remote Internships

Posted 04-11-2020 10:17 PM
    Hello Sierra,

I'm an undergraduate senior (graduating at the end of this month) actively seeking internships for the summer. Since I'm pursuing art conservation, many of the internship opportunities I applied to have cancelled their summer programs and opportunities. I would greatly appreciate it if you could share this resource with me once you have it compiled!

Stay safe and healthy,

Heidi Vance

• 14.  RE: Remote Internships

Posted 04-13-2020 02:14 AM

Namaste Sierra,

I am a graduate student in the field of Art History and Aesthetics from India. Having had a short time experience in a remote internship, my work was mostly concerned with writing concept notes for a tribal museum exhibit, along with archiving and documenting. 

Since my interests lie in deciphering the folk traditions, I'd like to propose for a project which has to deal with the same. Curious heads can collect materials and then, a journal can be published with all the articles in it. 

Keeping in mind the poster house, there may be some posters published which might have to do something with folk and tribal arts. We have been having proposals for the same, so I guess this can be given a try. 

Any help needed? Feel free to write to me. 

Thankful to you, 
    Pranjal Shah

Pranjal Shah

• 15.  RE: Remote Internships

Posted 04-13-2020 10:31 AM
    Glad to see this conversation taking place. Looking to the future and planning for viable ways to continue internships and other opportunities for those working in and entering the field is important. I would like to also see existing models and add that as opportunities are developed to consider conversations that have been going on in the field related to unpaid internships and how those can sometimes negatively affect diversity, equity and inclusion opportunities. This area seems ripe for possible grants and foundation funding to source funds for such internships at this critical time.

Mark

Mark Osterman, Ed.D.
    Digital Experience Manager
    Lowe Art Museum, University of Miami
    Coal Gables, FL

• 16.  RE: Remote Internships

Posted 04-13-2020 01:16 PM
    Hi Mark, 

I totally agree re: funding and equity in the field. 

I haven't seen any funders address this in the COVID-19 messaging they have put out, but wonder if there are some that could be approached about this to see if they could fund internship opportunities during this time period. Definitely something worth looking into. 

Sincerely,
    Sierra

--

Sierra Van Ryck deGroot
    she/her
    Poster House

____
    To book an educational tour, visit us on Explorable Places.
    Follow us on Instagram @posterhousenyc 

Poster House stands and operates on the ancestral lands of the Lenape peoples - #HonorNativeLands

• 17.  RE: Remote Internships

Posted 04-14-2020 01:04 PM
      |   view attached
    Hi everyone---

The Museum Studies Network has partnered with Sierra Van Ryck deGroot of NYCMER to create a survey and crowdsourced spreadsheet to share remote internship opportunities for emerging museum professionals looking to pursue Summer 2020 internships.

While many institutions remain physically closed and have moved operations online, they still are in need of summer interns for this upcoming summer. We are collecting opportunities to connect these institutions with interested applicants and vice versa.

Don't have an online internship planned, but looking to learn more about moving your internship opportunities online? Please fill out the form so that we can be in touch with more information.

If you are a museum with a remote internship opportunity or interest in learning more about hosting remote interns, please fill out this survey: https://forms.gle/8Njyj975E4mx3qci9

If you are a student seeking a remote internship, please review: https://bit.ly/34M6IAV

DISCLAIMER: the American Alliance of Museums, the AAM Museum Studies Network, and NYCMER have not vetted or endorsed the internships listed in this document and have solely created this as a tool to collect information for museum studies students to easily find digital internship opportunities during the COVID-19 pandemic. Students interested in these opportunities should consult their university's internship credit policies and follow their institution's guidelines. Students should direct questions about specific remote internships to the institutions offering them.

It's our hope that this survey and spreadsheet can help our colleagues--museum staff, museum studies students, and faculty--find new ways to carry on during this time.

Here's to collaboration and cooperation.

Thanks,
    Stephanie Brown & Sarah Chicone
    MSN Co-Chairs

Stephanie Brown PhD
    Program Coordinator / Senior Lecturer
    M.A. in Museum Studies - Johns Hopkins University
    San Francisco CA

Attachment(s)

• 18.  RE: Remote Internships

Posted 04-14-2020 02:53 PM
    And here's the link to the survey/spreadsheet through MSN's page on the AAM site.  Many thanks to Megan Lantz & Cecilia Walls for their help and support with this!

Stephanie Brown PhD
    Program Coordinator / Senior Lecturer
    M.A. in Museum Studies - Johns Hopkins University
    San Francisco CA

• 19.  RE: Remote Internships

Posted 04-14-2020 03:41 PM
    Hi Sierra,

Thanks for starting this conversation!  

I wanted to share that some of our students in interdisciplinary data science at Duke University may be able to help cultural institutions with marketing and audience analytics this summer through remote internships.  Almost all of our students will be participating in remote internships in a diversity of sectors and they have the technological resources to support their work.  We may be able to help offset some of the financial costs associated with internships with our students, as well.  

If folks are interested, my contact information is below.

Thanks!
    Audrey
    --
    Audrey Chang, PhD
    Director of Partnerships and Professional Development
    Math | MIDS | OIT
    Duke University
    audrey.chang@duke.edu

Audrey Chang
    Durham NC

• 20.  RE: Remote Internships

Posted 04-15-2020 09:50 AM
    We have always embraced global reach via Google Culture, our digital museum exhibitions, magazine, newspaper, book publishing, and television broadcast (this includes YouTube, FB, and Vimeo productions).

With that in mind, we are routinely welcoming podcasts, recordings, blogging, remote broadcasts and more from dozens of opportunities and that includes several interns.

All that we have required is a typified objective summary for internships and practicums (the practicum is generally a requirement in many Master's degree programs and is very different than an internship) to be approved by the college or university. However, we have also accepted Scouts, Explorers, Sea Scouts, church internships and private family placement of internships where the parent, scout master, or religious leader approved the summary.

The creativity of objective is left entirely up to the Doctor and student at the university to approve of and then our board. Approval can take three days to complete. Essentially, an internship done long distance is best completed over several weeks and under the objective of the students desires to benefit their career by:

1. Producing excellent work.
    2. Having their ethical statement completed.
    3. Discerning do they want to create a slide show presentation, written work for digital publication, a film, an authored book in print/ebook/audiobook, full size exhibition, art, music, etc.

We allow the student to remove all forms of internship work at the museum not beneficial to their goals. Once they identify what they would like to create, research, build - we guide them towards long distance approval. Then they go to work with us via video conferencing (we have been doing that for ten+ years as pioneers).

In some cases students have sought to write a business plan, patent, or trademark within the museum field and we also assisted them to accomplish such.

Be sure to link with me on LinkedIn, friends.

Thank you, from Marti

Martin CJ Mongiello, MBA, MA, MCFE.

CEO and CMO at The United States Presidential Service Center Foundation Trusts and US Presidential Culinary Museum. White House Military Office badge number 14592, 301 Cleveland Avenue, Grover, NC 28073
    001 (704) 937-2940 

www.PresidentialServiceCenter.org

www.PresidentialCulinaryMuseum.org

GM of The Inn of the Patriots country inn www.TheInnofthePatriots.com

"Enjoy a night at the museum!"

• 21.  RE: Remote Internships

Posted 04-16-2020 10:56 AM
    Hello everyone,

I am a third-year doctoral student at Bowling Green State University in Bowling Green, OH and I have a graduate certificate in public history. I am replying to this thread so I can be aware of any remote internships (if it comes to this) and to be privy to this list when it becomes available. 

Thanks,
    Jacqueline P. Hudson

Jacqueline Hudson
    Doctoral Student
    Bowling Green OH

• 22.  RE: Remote Internships

Posted 07-14-2020 04:44 PM
    Sierra, your list of internships was so helpful. One of my amazing summer interns asked if there would be a similar list for Fall. Have you given any thought to collecting and sharing a similar list for fall remote museum internships? If you are doing this and need help, I'm happy to support this work in any way!

Thank you!

Rebecca Shulman
    Director, Peoria PlayHouse Children's Museum
    Peoria PlayHouse Children's Museum
    Peoria IL

• 23.  RE: Remote Internships

Posted 07-15-2020 08:55 AM
    Now that so many institutions have been able to host remote internships during the summer, maybe they'd be willing to share what worked well and what could be improved for those of us interested in hosting virtual internships in the Fall/Winter? Perhaps someone will do a webinar with an intern representative!

Sheridan Small
    Education Manager
    Dumbarton House NSCDA
    Washington DC

• 24.  RE: Remote Internships

Posted 07-15-2020 08:59 AM

I'd certainly be happy to share our experience – we have three remote interns this summer, and it's gone pretty well.

Rebecca Shulman

Director

2218 North Prospect Road

Peoria, Illinois 61603

Phone: 309.681.2853

www.peoriaplayhouse.org

www.facebook.com/peoriaplayhouse

PH at home

­­  

• 25.  RE: Remote Internships

Posted 07-20-2020 01:43 PM
    These are great suggestions! I will check in with the MSN team about doing a Fall internship iteration. Additionally, I would love to create something to check in with folks who did host virtual interns this summer. Sheridan, if you have the capacity - would love to chat with you about this!

Sincerely,
    Sierra

Sierra Van Ryck deGroot
    Poster House
    New York NY

• 26.  RE: Remote Internships

Posted 07-22-2020 01:56 PM
    I'm happy to chat about it, Sierra! We haven't been able to do any virtual internships at Dumbarton House yet, but I'm eager to hear more about other sites' experiences (Thanks to Jean and Melissa for sharing some details already) and would be happy to help facilitate some sort of discussion. We can talk more or set up a call - my email is education@dumbartonhouse.org. I look forward to chatting! 

Sheridan Small
    Director of Education
    Dumbarton House NSCDA
    Washington DC

• 27.  RE: Remote Internships

Posted 07-22-2020 04:18 PM

I am collecting feedback from my summer interns so that I can share their thoughts as well as mine. Happy to participate in any conversations about this.

Rebecca Shulman

Director

2218 North Prospect Road

Peoria, Illinois 61603

Phone: 309.681.2853

www.peoriaplayhouse.org

www.facebook.com/peoriaplayhouse

PH at home

­­  

• 28.  RE: Remote Internships

Posted 07-21-2020 09:16 AM
    I would love to hear how your internships went this summer! We hosted one remote intern, and it went well. However, there is always room for improvement! I would like to continue offering remote internships so we can reach students who would be otherwise unable to come to the Foundation for a traditional internship experience.

Felicia Abrams
    Education Officer
    Jamestown-Yorktown Foundation
    Williamsburg VA

• 29.  RE: Remote Internships

Posted 07-21-2020 10:47 AM
    We put our internship program on pause for the summer, however we were able to have students complete their spring internships in a virtua; manner.  While not ideal, it did work.  We are in the process of determining how we will handle fall internships.  If there are any remote conversations around this topic, we would be interested in being engaged.  We learned that it is very important to provide good communication to interns and to provide tips to staff on how to engage interns virtually.  Some tips - 

Define the project
    Have the ability to pivot when needed
    Have Hangout/Zoom check-in with students
    Connect with supervisors
    It is good to have relationships established with colleges/universities to determine their direction, in some cases they can assist if needed

Jean Nierenhausen
    Volunteer Manager
    Minnesota Historical Society
    Saint Paul MN

• 30.  RE: Remote Internships

Posted 07-21-2020 03:37 PM
    Edited by Melissa Patton 07-21-2020 03:39 PM
    We've just completed our remote internship summer program - we had 11 local high school students conduct oral histories for our archives.  It went really well and we hope to repeat the program next summer.  There is a description of it here: https://www.lantermanhouse.org/virtual-internship

We conducted four Zoom meetings to train the students, and created a private webpage with training materials for them.  Students were responsible for locating their own interview candidate and all communications with them.  They used Google Voice to record their interviews and submitted all the paperwork digitally.  We hope to get the interviews uploaded on the California Revealed website this fall. 

The best part is that most of the students found interview candidates who were not known to us at all - it was great community outreach on many levels.

Laura Verlaque
    Executive Director
    Lanterman House
    La Canada Flintridge CA

• 31.  RE: Remote Internships

Posted 07-23-2020 10:10 AM
    Hello Felicia, 

I am Kaylie Schunk, a master's student at George Washington University in Museum Education. I would be interested in any opportunities to help or to intern with your institution. I have a master's degree in American History and would love the opportunity to support your organization. Thank you!

Kaylie Schunk
    Museum Education Program - George Washington University
    Washington DC

• 32.  RE: Remote Internships

Posted 07-23-2020 11:26 AM
    Hey Kaylie, 

I would love to speak with you more about a potential internship for the fall. Please contact me at felicia.abrams@jyf.virginia.gov

Looking forward to speaking with you! 

Best,

Felicia Abrams
    Education Officer
    Jamestown-Yorktown Foundation
    Williamsburg VA

• 33.  RE: Remote Internships

Posted 07-24-2020 11:13 AM
    Hi @Sierra Van Ryck deGroot and @Felicia Abrams,

My name is Heidi Vance and I will be beginning Northumbria University's Conservation of Fine Art graduate program in the fall. I'm incredibly interested in pursuing any remote internship opportunities for the fall- especially since it's uncertain if international travel will be possible in the upcoming months. Please add me to the list of people interested in hearing more about remote fall internships! ​

Heidi Vance
    Conservation of Fine Art MA Candidate
    Northumbria University
    havance@gmail.com

• 34.  RE: Remote Internships

Posted 07-23-2020 02:55 PM
    Hi Sheridan,

I love this idea! I'm one of Rebecca Shulman's remote interns for this summer and I have had a great experience. I'd love to be a part of the webinar or any conversations moving forward. 

Katherine Pesigan
    Museology Graduate Program - University of Washington
    Seattle WA

• 35.  RE: Remote Internships

Posted 07-23-2020 10:13 AM
    Edited by Kaylie Mellott 07-23-2020 10:24 AM
    Hello Ms. Van Ryck deGroot,

I am Kaylie Schunk, a master's student at George Washington University in Museum Education. I would be very interested in any internships or volunteering opportunities. I would really appreciate a fall listing when it becomes available. However, I am available for any institution in need of assistance. I appreciate your help with this. My email is kschunk_25@gwu.edu. Thank you!

Kaylie Schunk
    Museum Education Program - George Washington University
    Washington DC

• 36.  RE: Remote Internships

Posted 07-24-2020 12:09 PM
    Hi, We will have remote internships this summer at the Jacob Lawrence Gallery at the University of Washington. While most of our remote internships are conducted over Zoom, centering on research and graphic design, I would be interested in any resources for conducting remote internships. 
    Very best, 
    Emily Zimmerman
    Director, Jacob Lawrence Gallery

Emily Zimmerman
    Seattle WA