Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Exhibition Lighting - ETC Source 4 ellipsoidal to LED Retrofit

Posted 09-29-2020 03:00 PM
    I am looking for thoughts about the ETC Source 4WRD ellipsoidal to LED retrofit kits. We have heard mixed reviews on this, as some venues reported still having to replace lamps a week to a year from gallery installation. Would love to connect with any museums that have gone this route.

Thank you in advance!

Cynthia Brown
    Museum EXP
    cynthia@museumexp.com

------------------------------
    Cynthia Brown
    Principal
    Fort Myers FL
    AAM Annual Meeting & MuseumExpo, Baltimore, May 16-19, 2024, click to learn more

• 2.  RE: Exhibition Lighting - ETC Source 4 ellipsoidal to LED Retrofit

Posted 09-30-2020 12:34 PM
    Hi Cynthia,

We know the joys of not replacing lamps on a daily basis. We went LED a few years ago, but we went with the direct replacements (PAR, 20, 30, 38s, and AR111). It was cost effective and I just don't trust the integrated chip fixtures. YOU'll NEVER get the 50K hours they say, being able to swap em out is a dream. When we started you couldn't get tight beams, now 9 degree is a pretty regular offering. SORAA lets you them change the shape and color form there with their SNAP system. I'll stop here in case this is way off topic for what you're thinking of doing. Good Luck!

Matthew Isble
    Exhibit Designer
    Crocker Art Museum
    Sacramento CA

AAM Annual Meeting & MuseumExpo, Baltimore, May 16-19, 2024, click to learn more

• 3.  RE: Exhibition Lighting - ETC Source 4 ellipsoidal to LED Retrofit

Posted 10-04-2020 11:20 AM
    Cynthia and Matthew,

We recently finished lighting the National Museum of the U.S. Army (although it is not yet open to the public). Because the many of the lights are mounted over 22' off the ground, small retrofit light sources (like those from Soraa) were not a practical choice. Consequently we deployed hundreds of ETC Source 4WRD luminaires. Ultimately, I think this project will be a good standard bearer for determining the quality of this product.

For fixtures hanging at a much lower elevation (and in applications that do not require framing shutters, gobos, direct DMX control, etc.) I agree with Matthew that the Soraa with Snap System lenses is a good lighting tool (although I worry that the lenses will be thrown out with the lamps when it is time for bulb replacement ;-)

Although the LED revolution has seen exponential improvement (i.e. lamp life, color-rendering, efficacy [lumens/watt], optical controls, etc.) over a relatively short amount of time. We remain in the early days of LED light source development and I have seen lots of system-from a plethora of manufacturers-fail to perform up to the standards by which they were marketed. That is why I think it is so important to only specify and install LED lighting products from reputable manufactures who will stand by their claims.

I could go on helping you to understand what makes an LED system tick, from dimming quality to thermal management, but my typing fingers will cramp up and you will quickly lose interest in my geeking out. If any of you have any questions you want to pose, please feel free to reach out.

Cheers,
    Steven

Steven Rosen
    President and Creative Dir.
    Available Light, Inc.
    Boston MA
    Rosen