Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Open-source library system

Posted 09-18-2019 04:38 PM
    Hi everyone! 

I was wondering that free, open-source library management software other museums/cultural institutions would recommend. We have a small library of books (about 200) relating to the artists and objects in our collection that we would like to make accessible to the public.

Any advice would be much appreciated! 

------------------------------
    Jessica Bocinski
    Registrar
    Chapman University Art Collections
    Orange CA
    AAM Annual Meeting & MuseumExpo, Baltimore, May 16-19, 2024, click to learn more

• 2.  RE: Open-source library system

Posted 09-25-2019 11:23 AM
    Hi Jessica,

I also have a small library that I am starting to catalog using TinyCat. It's basically a small-scale OPAC for libraries under 20,000 volumes and it runs based on LibraryThing which is used for cataloging home libraries. It's not free, but it's very affordable. It would only cost you $10/month. The copy cataloging is extremely simple to use. You just do an ISBN search and then click on the title to add it to your catalog. If you need to do any original cataloging, you can manually add a new title. I'm still getting to know it, but so far I like how easy it is to assign volunteers to do simple copy cataloging.

Good luck!

Marissa Hendriks
    Collections Manager
    Couse-Sharp Historic Site
    Taos NM

AAM Annual Meeting & MuseumExpo, Baltimore, May 16-19, 2024, click to learn more