Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  seeking photos: exhibit mounts for skulls

Posted 06-07-2018 02:59 PM
    Our museum is developing an element for our renovated main gallery where we're mounting skulls of animals from our natural history collections (e.g., mammals, birds, earth sciences, fish) and our exhibits team is looking for good examples of (custom designed) mounts made to hold skulls on the wall. These skulls are going to range in size from wooly mammoth to ground squirrel and every size in between. In another area we'll be mounting a range of whale skulls as well (yikes!). Most of these skulls have the mandibles in association, which will be physically attached at the jaw section, I'm guessing.

I would love to have photos from folks who are willing to share examples of how you're mounting skulls to the walls of your gallery spaces. Please send them to me at ajlinn@alaska.edu.

Thanks in advance!
    Angela

------------------------------
    Angela Linn
    Senior Collections Manager, Ethnology & History
    University of Alaska Museum of the North
    Fairbanks AK
    AAM Annual Meeting & MuseumExpo, Baltimore, May 16-19, 2024, click to learn more

• 2.  RE: seeking photos: exhibit mounts for skulls

Posted 06-08-2018 07:56 AM
    The San Diego Natural History Museum has an excellent exhibit displaying their skull collection- ranging from frogs and snakes to whales. I would get in touch with their exhibit department. They’re really good folks, too.

Good luck!

Daniel Samuelson-Roberts
    Exhibition carpenter, Minneapolis Institute of Art

AAM Annual Meeting & MuseumExpo, Baltimore, May 16-19, 2024, click to learn more

• 3.  RE: seeking photos: exhibit mounts for skulls

Posted 06-08-2018 09:59 AM
    Hi Angela,

You could take a look at photos from our North Dakota Heritage Center project. There are lots of mounts. Feel free to reach out to one of our mount makers, Michelle could send you other photos or give recommendations her email address is mmundo@taylorstudios.com

North Dakota Heritage Center

Betty Brennan
    President
    Taylor Studios, Inc.
    Rantoul IL

• 4.  RE: seeking photos: exhibit mounts for skulls

Posted 06-08-2018 11:32 AM
    Cal Academy of Sciences in San Francisco recently had a large skull display. They might have some good options.

April Deerr
    Fine Arts Museums of San Francisco
    San Francisco CA