Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Tour Experiences

Posted 03-02-2017 06:59 PM
    Hello all:

I am on one a quest for innovative, creative, exciting, unique, and, you name the adjective, tour experiences to share with a large group of docents. I recently went on a Museum Hack tour for the first time, and I am now lined up to tour several museums in the DC area to see what they have to offer that is outside the standard guided practice. So far, I have discovered slow-looking tours, drawing and writing tour components, conservation-based tours, and performative tours. If you feel so inclined as to share, please respond to the following statement and questions.

Describe a unique (or swap adjective for one more accurate to your experience) touring experience you have encountered.
    Where did it take place?
    Who led the tour?
    How did the tour experience influence you (think mood, behavior, knowledge, feelings, and/or opinion)?

Thank you in advance for taking the time to reply!

Sincerely, 

Jessica Bauserman
    Freelance Museum Consultant | Washington, D.C.
    AAM Annual Meeting & MuseumExpo, Baltimore, May 16-19, 2024, click to learn more

• 2.  RE: Tour Experiences

Posted 03-06-2017 10:37 PM
    Jessica, take a look at Museum Sage — a way to get insight into your personal life from a museum object. San Francisco's de Young Museum recently hired six Museum Sage Guides to give personal experiences to over 60 visitors at their One Love community event. 

The website has photos of people with their object with stories about their life question and insight. For example:

How can I be more relaxed in specific situations? That was my Museum Sage question. Degas’ sculpture of a woman in a tub reminded me to be more aware of my body and connect to my senses. There’s a carefree innocence about the bather that maybe I’m being invited to return to.”  - Avivah Brown

www.MuseumSage.com/stories

------------------------------
    Laurie Phillips
    Director, Museum Sage
    St. Paul MN
    ------------------------------

AAM Annual Meeting & MuseumExpo, Baltimore, May 16-19, 2024, click to learn more