Open Forum

View Only
Expand all | Collapse all

Museum Junction: Love it? Want to keep improving it? Let us know!

• 1.  Museum Junction: Love it? Want to keep improving it? Let us know!

Posted 07-22-2019 09:51 AM

Hello AAMers, 

Thank you to everyone who visits and posts here on Museum Junction, this community has become as vibrant as it has because of you. We'd love to get a sense of what you enjoy about Museum Junction and what you might like to see in the future, so we'd appreciate your feedback on a few questions: 

• Why do you use Museum Junction (MJ)?
    • How has MJ helped you recently?
    • How might MJ be improved through new or different initiatives/services?

We look forward to hearing your thoughts!

Thank you,

Josette Souza

AAM Marketing & Communications Manager 

------------------------------
    Josette Souza
    Marketing & Communications Manager
    American Alliance of Museums
    Arlington VA
    AAM Annual Meeting & MuseumExpo, Baltimore, May 16-19, 2024, click to learn more

• 2.  RE: Museum Junction: Love it? Want to keep improving it? Let us know!

Posted 07-23-2019 08:07 AM
    I've been a member for a long time but it seems that just recently I've found a number of interesting posts that either apply to things I'm looking to implement, inform my thinking on issues or posts that I've been able to contribute some knowledge base. It seems the variety of topics has increased which is great and perhaps there's a greater number of users now. I don't know what created the tipping point for me but I now pay attention to the digest and scroll through to see what sort of issues people are posting. I also love the broad base of museum trades that are represented here. It kind of crowdsources expertise from different areas which is great. Keep it going!

Denise McClean
    Director
    Prospect Park Zoo
    Brooklyn NY

AAM Annual Meeting & MuseumExpo, Baltimore, May 16-19, 2024, click to learn more

• 3.  RE: Museum Junction: Love it? Want to keep improving it? Let us know!

Posted 07-23-2019 11:01 AM
    ​Josette,
    The best thing about the forum is that it sometimes makes me think about things I didn't know I should be thinking about! And at other times it asks a question I too have been pondering so I go there for answers.
    I am getting ready to start a really large construction project which involves a new building and all new exhibits so I have been following a number of threads about everything from signage to dog policies to event planning.
    I cannot think of any improvements needed at this time.
    Karen

Karen Stone
    Museum Division Manger
    St. Mary's County, MD

• 4.  RE: Museum Junction: Love it? Want to keep improving it? Let us know!

Posted 07-24-2019 08:45 AM

I second all Karen's points, and also wouldn't change a thing. It is nice to have a "hive mind" to tap into for various questions and information.

Christopher L. Kolakowski

Director

The MacArthur Memorial

MacArthur Square

Norfolk, VA 23510

757-441-2965

Christopher.Kolakowski@norfolk.gov

www.macarthurmemorial.org

www.facebook.com/macarthurmemorial

DUTY  - HONOR  - COUNTRY

• 5.  RE: Museum Junction: Love it? Want to keep improving it? Let us know!

Posted 07-24-2019 10:50 AM
    I find the Museum jJunction to be a helpful connector for our widespread fields.  The questions can concern policies or practices -- some are about issues that concern me in my work, such as accessibility, and inform me about the level of interest and knowledge with it.  Other conversations have no connection to my work and environment, such as parking lots, but questions and responses are still always interesting.

Unlike some professional e-discussion forums to which I subscribe, the Junction does not get highjacked by individuals or groups finding ways to interrupt the format with their continuous debates.  NAEA, for example, attracts some members who respond to almost any question with their views on why graphics are not "art." 

Two suggestions -- 
    • Is it necessary to repeat the original question after every response or can it run only after groups of responses?  The repeat of the question  takes up so much text space that it is difficult to read the Junction on cell phones.
    • Can you place messages from the AAM in a consistent place in the Junction?  So, for example, such messages as the request for topics for the Annual Meeting would always be the first or the last item.

I was pleased that the Junction does not seem to edit texts disagreeing with its policies.  For example, it printed the primarily negative responses to the proposed by-law changes.

Thank you

--
    Barbara Cohen-Stratyner, Ph. D., FRSA
    Suite 7C, 265 Riverside Drive
    Now blogging at outsidethemuseumblog on Wordpress.com

(she, her, ms.)
     James Baldwin - You think your pain and your heartbreak are unprecedented in the history of the world, but then you read. [Early Essays]
    Mila Jasey -- If you are not at the table, you are on the menu

• 6.  RE: Museum Junction: Love it? Want to keep improving it? Let us know!

Posted 07-25-2019 01:09 PM
    I am a huge fan of Museum Junction and congratulate the AAM for establishing this information forum.  Museum's are practical places and the vast majority of posts reflect that.  While most of the inquiries are of little immediate relevance to me, I find the overall content reflective of current on-the-job needs, directions and hopes in our field.  I only have a couple of suggestions: continue the site as-is but encourage issue commentaries; continue to avoid advertising. 

Thank you,

Steven Miller
    Doylestown, PA

Steven Miller
    Doylestown, PA

Executive Director Retired
    Boscobel Restoration, Inc.

• 7.  RE: Museum Junction: Love it? Want to keep improving it? Let us know!

Posted 07-26-2019 07:13 AM
    I would love to see a searchable archive feature so I can pose a search term and see what has been written on that term over the past several years. So much useful information appears here that it seems a shame to not retain access to it in some way. While this may already exist, I haven't found it so offer the suggestion.

Robert Ford PhD
    Professor Emeritus
    Rollins College
    Winter Park FL

• 8.  RE: Museum Junction: Love it? Want to keep improving it? Let us know!

Posted 07-26-2019 07:18 AM

Oh that is a brilliant suggestion! Searchable archive would be fabulous !

Sent from my Verizon, Samsung Galaxy smartphone

• 9.  RE: Museum Junction: Love it? Want to keep improving it? Let us know!

Posted 07-26-2019 07:56 AM
    I agree - a search mechanism would be invaluable. There are things I've read in the past but wasn't in a position to utilize and now I can't find them. Great suggestion.

Denise McClean
    Director
    Prospect Park Zoo
    Brooklyn NY

• 10.  RE: Museum Junction: Love it? Want to keep improving it? Let us know!

Posted 07-26-2019 08:18 AM
    I support Dr. Ford's suggestion as well. Sometimes I see a question posed, and while I don't need the answer now, I might in the future. Rather than asking it again, it would be wonderful to be able to search the site.
    Thank you for creating and maintaining it though. It's great to know there is  always a group of nice, knowledgeable people out there willing to help.
    Joan Baldwin

Joan Baldwin
    Curator-Special Collections - The Hotchkiss School
    Lakeville CT

• 11.  RE: Museum Junction: Love it? Want to keep improving it? Let us know!

Posted 07-26-2019 10:14 AM
    I love the Junction for its wide array of topics, and the access to smart people all over the country. I scan it every day for topics of interest. My only suggestion is the one that's been made - a refined searchable archive.

Dawn Salerno
    Executive Director
    Rotch-Jones-Duff House and Garden Museum
    New Bedford MA

• 12.  RE: Museum Junction: Love it? Want to keep improving it? Let us know!

Posted 07-26-2019 10:33 AM
    Doesn't the Library function (under Browse) already provide this opportunity?  There is an option to add Tags.  This would allow readers to check all of the discussions on, for example, Digital Signage.

Barbara Cohen-Stratyner PhD
    New York NY

• 13.  RE: Museum Junction: Love it? Want to keep improving it? Let us know!

Posted 07-26-2019 11:22 AM
      |   view attached
    Hello everyone, 

Thanks, Barbara! Yes, there is a search function on the Museum Junction website. I've created a little movie to help, attached here (mp4). And, I'm providing written directions below on how to search on Museum Junction.

Thank you to everyone who uses this community, you are all an invaluable resource!

To search on Museum Junction: 
    1. Go to www.community.aam-us.org/home
    2. Login in at the top right-hand side where it says, "Login to see members only content" (you do not need to be a member of AAM, but you do need to have created a login for Museum Junction).
    3. Once you are logged in you can search from wherever you are on the site via the "Search" function on the right-hand side of any page - about midway down the page. 
    4. Enter any search term, for example, if you enter "Labels" you will see a whole string of posts come up related to labels. You can even refine your search on the left-hand side or you can sort by Relevance, Most Recent, or Least Recent on the right-hand side (drop-down menu). 
    Feel free to let me know if you have any problems logging in or finding something you are looking for. 

Cecelia

Cecelia Walls
    Content and Editorial Strategist
    Arlington VA

• 14.  RE: Museum Junction: Love it? Want to keep improving it? Let us know!

Posted 07-29-2019 10:19 AM
    Thank you very much to everyone who gave their feedback, we appreciate all your thoughts on this topic! We are continuously inspired by this community. If you have any colleagues you'd like to join the Museum Junction community, you can invite them to create a free profile here: http://ww2.aam-us.org/create-profile.

Josette Souza
    Marketing & Communications Manager
    Arlington VA

• 15.  RE: Museum Junction: Love it? Want to keep improving it? Let us know!

Posted 07-29-2019 11:32 AM
    Josette,
     I check Museum Junction daily only to learn whats going on in the field.. Although the questions and answers have little to do with what I do I find them thoughtful and interesting.  It's an excellent communication tool for museum staff who otherwise wouldn't be able to connect with colleagues at museums large and small and of different disciplines around the country.  This alone is a great service to Museum professionals and and excellent reason to keep keep Museum Junction alive and well!

I don't have any ideas of how it can be improved. The idea of establishing a archive  is good, but if it changes Museum Junction in any way, and I believe it would, I'm against it.  Don't mess with a format that works really well.

Freda Mindlin
    Opportunity Resources
    New York, NY

Freda Mindlin
    President
    Opportunity Resources Inc.
    New York NY

• 16.  RE: Museum Junction: Love it? Want to keep improving it? Let us know!

Posted 07-29-2019 11:53 AM
    I love it and enjoy looking at it, and responding when possible ​and not selling services. It is clear that some AAM'ers are just seeking knowledge of a topic and I am happy to help whenever and wherever possible, for as long a needed.

Art Manask
    Principal
    Art Manask Consulting, Inc.
    artmanask@gmail.com
    818 358-3588