Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Curation Needed Advice for Entomology Specimens

Posted 11-12-2019 06:15 PM
    Hello everyone!

I'm currently working on a cataloging project for a large insect collection.  The priority of this project is to make sure the catalog number is easily seen to make locating specimens easier.  However, we do have some larger specimens that completely eclipse the labels.

Does anyone have any creative way of labeling these types of specimens so that the catalog number is visible?  For context, the labels are long rectangles, about a 1/2" long and the width of size 12 font.  I'm trying to avoid expanding the collection too much, since we do have limited storage space for the cornell drawers and unit trays.

As always, any advice is welcomed!

Cheers!

------------------------------
    Catherine Bollich
    Museum of Northern Arizona
    Flagstaff AZ
    AAM Annual Meeting & MuseumExpo, Baltimore, May 16-19, 2024, click to learn more

• 2.  RE: Curation Needed Advice for Entomology Specimens

Posted 11-15-2019 11:33 AM

Hi Catherine,
    For larger specimens, there may be no way to make the catalog numbers readable from above without producing labels large enough to be seen around the edges of the specimen, which greatly increases each specimens' footprint and endangers its neighbors. We have catalog labels (which have barcodes + human readable portions) that are printed with the catalog number/ barcode on both sides, so, while you do have to pick a specimen up to find the catalog number, you can just scan the bottom of the label, instead of taking the label off to read the top. I have label templates,etc. that I'd be happy to share if you're interested- just shoot me an email. 
    Best Wishes,

Julia

Dawn Scher-Thomae
    Curator/Sr Coll Mgr
    Milwaukee Public Museum
    Milwaukee WI

AAM Annual Meeting & MuseumExpo, Baltimore, May 16-19, 2024, click to learn more

• 3.  RE: Curation Needed Advice for Entomology Specimens

Posted 11-18-2019 02:12 PM
    Hi Catherine, I'm an entomology collection manager and struggled with this issue myself. I wanted to be able to glance through a drawer and see the catalog numbers easily.  I'm happy to send you photos of my solution. My catalog numbers are printed in a 5 point font usually on a piece of paper that is about 3/4 inch by 1/4 inch.  I solved the issue by changing my template to blank strips about 1.5 inches long with the catalog number at the bottom.  I pin at the top of the paper and the catalog number just peeks out at the tip of the abdomen. This doesn't take up any more space than the specimen because the number appears between the wings. I use this for large Saturniids and Papilio specimens.  I can send you a photo if you'd like.
    -Christy Bills
    Inverts Collections Manager
    Natural History Museum of Utah
    Salt Lake City Utah

Christy Bills
    Collections Manager, Invertebrates
    Natural History Museum of Utah - University of Utah
    Salt Lake City UT