Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  preservation of flag

Posted 03-12-2018 11:26 AM

I am looking for ideas how to store and preserve a very fragile and in poor condition large Civil War flag.

Right now, we have it wrapped in acid free paper around a tube.

Thank you for your help

Lisa Petitta

Collections Manager

Soldiers & Sailors Memorial Hall & Museum Trust, Inc.

Click on the image below to support.

image001.jpg@01D35D5B.78A1E7C0

Honor them with your presence

4141 Fifth Avenue, Pittsburgh, PA  15213

412-621-4253, Ext. 214

Lisa@soldiersandsailorshall.org

www.soldiersandsailorshall.org

image002.png@01D125CC.2D1FA620  image003.png@01D125CC.2D1FA620  image004.png@01D125CC.2D1FA620  image005.png@01D125CC.2D1FA620  image007.png@01D125CC.2D1FA620 image008.png@01D125CC.2D1FA620pinterest

AAM Annual Meeting & MuseumExpo, Baltimore, May 16-19, 2024, click to learn more

• 2.  RE: preservation of flag

Posted 03-13-2018 08:50 AM
    Dear Lisa, 

A Common solution that is used in Europe is to use Aluminium frames with Polyester mesh inside that is stored as a tray (see attached pictures of the depot of the City Museum of Munich, Germany. Main advantages:

• Light weight even for big dimensions
    • Can be used for large textiles
    • Easy to carry to another location without touching the flag
    • Flag visible without touching
    • Allows airflow/ventilation
    The cabinet is closed with a roller front to ensure that the fabrics are protected against (UV) light and dust. 

HVy7U0viTHOOfWIXoNhR_flat3.png

Hope this helps! 

All the best,

Jasper

------------------------------
    Jasper Hunnekens MBA
    Group Museum Manager
    Bruynzeel Storage Systems
    Panningen- Netherlands

AAM Annual Meeting & MuseumExpo, Baltimore, May 16-19, 2024, click to learn more

• 3.  RE: preservation of flag

Posted 03-13-2018 09:17 AM
    Hello, Lisa.  What is the flag made of, and when was the last time it was unrolled from the tube?  What do you intend to do with it: store or exhibit it?  I would contact a professional textile conservator before proceeding and let him or her make a determination on what needs to be done.  There are several textile conservation companies in the US, and some do specialize in flags.  The work can be pricey, but it is worth it.
    Dennis Mroczkowski

Dennis Mroczkowski
    Board Member, Casemate Museum Foundation
    Williamsburg VA

• 4.  RE: preservation of flag

Posted 03-13-2018 11:19 AM
    Hi Lisa,

I agree with Dennis; I recommend that you consult a textile conservator.  A good way to find one in your area would be to visit the American Institute for Conservation's website (AIC); they have a directory of all their members and you can search on location and areas of specialization.

https://www.conservation-us.org/membership/find-a-conservator#.WqezmoJG10u

Best,

Melissa

Melissa Leventon
    Principal
    [Curatrix Group]
    San Francisco CA

• 5.  RE: preservation of flag

Posted 03-14-2018 09:47 AM
    ​We also utilize similar cabinets to those recommended by Jasper.  But we have a larger flag collection that justifies the expense.  So if you only have 1 or 3 large flags/textiles it may not be worth it.  However, you can also store large paper documents in them, we have a few large maps in ours.  I would definitely way the price of a large cabinet vs. conservation of one flag (which returns on its investment by aiding in exhibition).

Also a word about the mesh bottom drawers.  When I first started at this museum we had 2 of these cabinets with the mesh bottoms for our historic flags, some of which had been conserved.  The storage space we had at that time was less then ideal and  pipes ran overhead which were used to heat and cool the building.  [I must also note that we didn't own the building and communication with building maintenance staff was severely lacking.]  One day the pipes leaked directly overhead of these cabinets.  For the most part the cabinet did its job and kept the water out but from what I've been told it was hot water so steam accumulated inside the cabinet and caused the flags to become damp.  Which in light of what could have happened was minor.  After the water was shut off and the floor cleaned up our Conservator recommended we open the cabinet and let the flags air dry as soon as possible and then we could assess from there.  So we did. 
    To our horror, the maintenance staff didn't alert us or really consult with each other to make sure the pipe was fixed before someone decide to flush the pipe.  In doing so they flushed the green corrosion prevention goo out and all over our open drawers and flags.  While the mesh drawers would have been perfect for aiding the flags to air dry, they however also allowed the water and the green goo to drip from drawer to drawer.  [side note: all of the flags then had to go back to the conservator at great expense to the museum - not the agency in charge of maintenance].  
    A few years ago we were able to move collections storage to a much better storage facility but couldn't take those cabinets with us [they were built in place and couldn't be relocated] for our new cabinets we opted for trays with a solid chloroplast bottom.  While we are not likely to ever experience such an incident again [no water pipes overhead here], I feel confident that had the bottoms of the old cabinets been chloroplast the damage would have been limited to the top 1 maybe 2 drawers.

Just something to keep in mind if you are looking to purchase a similar cabinet.

Katherine Owens
    Curator of Collections
    Missouri State Museum
    Jefferson City, MO