Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Website re-design

Posted 08-07-2017 06:21 PM
    Dear Colleagues,

I'm writing an RFP for website redesign.  I'd love to know of anyone who has been through this process recently, and if you have a firm to recommend (highly).

Thank you,

Cary

Cary Marriott
    Chief Engagement Officer

200 West Jones Avenue
    San Antonio, TX 78215
    Office: 210.978.8136
    www.samuseum.org

id:<a href=image001.png@01D2E42C.0D183570" type="image/png">

AAM Annual Meeting & MuseumExpo, Baltimore, May 16-19, 2024, click to learn more

• 2.  RE: Website re-design

Posted 08-08-2017 07:54 AM
    Good morning, Cary,

We launched our new website last Wednesday and would be more than happy to talk through our experience. My colleague, Emily Miller, was hands on through the whole process (to say the least) and I'm sure she could shed light on her experience. You can email me at Robin.Sarratt@lancasterhistory.org if you'd like to be in touch!

------------------------------
    Robin Sarratt
    Vice President
    LancasterHistory.org
    Lancaster PA

AAM Annual Meeting & MuseumExpo, Baltimore, May 16-19, 2024, click to learn more

• 3.  RE: Website re-design

Posted 08-08-2017 09:08 AM
    We recently launched a new re-design earlier this year. It was a year long process, but I can definitely give a few pointers on what to ask web design companies, what is the best option for the museum, etc.

Local web design companies can either be really great or disappointing. I had interviewed several local companies and were all different. Some offered additional services such as content writing, photography, videos, etc. but the monthly retainer was way out of budget. However, if you are not like me - social media manager, photographer, video producer/editor, website manager - then having those services could help you with constantly keeping the website "fresh."

As for re-design, I would definitely make a list of all content you need and/or no longer need. Talk to staff and see what they find valuable. We still post finding aids because there are many researchers who find us that way. However, we did drop a page that included preservation tips.

Organize your wants, needs and goals. It'll definitely help in the re-design process.

Pamela Morales
    Communications Officer
    Museum of South Texas History
    Edinburg TX

• 4.  RE: Website re-design

Posted 08-08-2017 10:15 AM
    I've done a few of these, on both sides (i.e., in your position as the
    client, and as the vendor partner), and I wrote this a while ago in case
    it would ever be useful to someone:

https://concretecomputing.com/thoughts/what-to-include-in-a-web-design-rfp-rfq-rfi/

It's short, like a 2-minute read. I hope you can use it!

Best,
    Matt

• 5.  RE: Website re-design

Posted 08-08-2017 11:23 AM
    Cary - we have been involved in website redesigns for our clients.  Especially since the website is such an important asset for membership and the volume of membership transactionsnow taking place online, the ecommerce portion of websites are so important to our clients.  Let's discuss!  Please include us in the list of vendors you share your RFP with.  Thanks much!   Dana Hines

Dana S. Hines, CFRE
    President & CEO
    Membership Consultants
    3868 Russell Blvd.
    St. Louis, MO  63110
    314-771-4664 ext 105
    314-771-2759 fax

Membership Marketing: Strategic Planning for Success

• 6.  RE: Website re-design

Posted 08-08-2017 03:12 PM
    Edited by Cody Lee 08-08-2017 03:12 PM

Hi Cary,

We're working on a new website now - set to launch in December - and are really happy with the developers. They're based here in Laguna Beach, but also have an office in Phoenix and have clients in other cities. Check them out - studiomisfits.com - and let me know if you have questions or would like an introduction.

Best regards,
    Cody

Cody Lee
    Director of Communications
    Laguna Art Museum
    Laguna Beach CA

• 7.  RE: Website re-design

Posted 08-09-2017 09:55 AM
    We are in the process of redesigning our website and it is connected to new internal software that connects all of the departments within our museum. It's going to be a real game changer for us in terms of sharing information and having our staff all working on the same platform. We have been working with Karm Khanna at Famcom and we could not be happier! He has been professional and really amazing in working with us to make a platform that is designed specifically for our organization. He can be reached at: http://www.famcominc.com ;
    Phone: +1.323.459.2686

Kristina Belliveau
    Finance Director
    Canton Museum of Art
    Canton OH

• 8.  RE: Website re-design

Posted 08-14-2017 07:01 PM
    Hi Cary,
    I recommend inviting Elevated Third to bid. They build exclusively in open-source Drupal CMS and have two of the 120 Acquia-certified Grandmasters worldwide along with a team of certified Drupal developers in-house. 
    They designed the new website for the Denver Botanic Gardens https://www.elevatedthird.com/work/denver-botanic-gardens and are a stellar team to work with. I highly recommend them, and hope they will have a chance to be considered. ~ Rosie 

Nelson Harris  
    Business Development Strategist 
    nharris@elevatedthird.com 
    (303) 436-9113   
    elevatedthird.com
    535 16th St, Suite 900 Denver, CO 80202 

Harrison Liss   
    Director of Business Development
    hliss@elevatedthird.com 
    (303) 436-9113   
    elevatedthird.com
    535 16th St, Suite 900 Denver, CO 80202

Rosie Siemer
    Founder + CEO
    FIVESEED
    Saint Louis, MO