Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Environmental issues, Private Collection

Posted 02-04-2019 12:03 PM
    Good day Colleagues...

May I request access to your combined knowledge for the following issue please?
    I work for a private collection of contemporary art.
    The main residence of this collection has no central HVAC system, radiators and window cooling units.
    This creates many zones.
    In winter radiator heat creates an intensely dry environment.
    The library in particular has this issue as the volume of paper contributes.
    I have been asked to remedy the issue by placing a humidifier in the room.
    I hesitate to do this as it can create other issues.

My question then is:
    Are people aware of teams (perhaps conservators) that will visit collections; look at data (from say Hobo Readers) and make recommendations conducive to the preservation of artworks on site?
    The collection is located in the NY Metropolitan area.

any advice would be most welcome, Thank you all.
    I may be reached directly at amandtjtart@gmail.com
    Martin Bland, Collections Manager,
    Charlesfield Four LLC, NYC

------------------------------
    Martin Bland
    Collection Manager
    Brooklyn NY
    AAM Annual Meeting & MuseumExpo, Baltimore, May 16-19, 2024, click to learn more

• 2.  RE: Environmental issues, Private Collection

Posted 02-05-2019 07:41 AM
    Dear Martin - I would look to the American Inst. for Conservation of Historic and Artistic Works.  I know for non profit orgs they have a program where they will carry out a project like you describe annually on a pro-bono basis.  See their website below.  Good Luck!

Vivian F. Zoë, Director
    Slater Memorial Museum
    108 Crescent Street, Norwich CT 06360
    860-425-5560 vox
    860-885-0379 fax

"Inspiration is for amateurs - the rest of us just show up and get to work," Chuck Close, 2003

Please note:  The information contained in this e-mail and any attachments hereto is intended only for the personal and confidential use of the designated recipients.  If the reader/recipient of this message is not the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that you have received this e-mail and all attachments hereto in error and that any review, dissemination, distribution or copying of this e-mail or any of its attachments is strictly prohibited.  If you have received this communication in error, please notify the sender immediately by e-mail and destroy the original message received.  Thank You.

AAM Annual Meeting & MuseumExpo, Baltimore, May 16-19, 2024, click to learn more

• 3.  RE: Environmental issues, Private Collection

Posted 02-05-2019 08:34 AM
    I would suggest contacting Applebaum and Himmelstein in New York. The firm has many years of experience in preventative conservation environments for public and private collections as well as direct conservation treatment of individual artworks.  They will be well familiar with the challenges of managing collections in residential environments.

Appelbaum & Himmelstein, Conservators and Consultants
    Appelbaum & Himmelstein, Conservators and Consultants remove preview
    Appelbaum & Himmelstein, Conservators and Consultants
    We are proud to announce that in 2018 the firm of Appelbaum & Himmelstein will celebrate its 46th Anniversary ! Our two partners, Barbara Appelbaum and Paul Himmelstein - the firm's sole members - provide a wide range of art conservation services including treatment of individual paintings and objects, and consultation on various aspects of collections care.
    View this on Appelbaum & Himmelstein, Conservators and Consultants >

Erin Richardson PhD
    Principal
    Erin Richardson Consulting
    Cooperstown NY

• 4.  RE: Environmental issues, Private Collection

Posted 02-10-2019 09:27 PM
    Martin,
    You can buy a few portable humidifiers to your zones. Most important, to emptying it on time and changing fitters, if you see a mold presence. Regularly check a HOBO Temperature/RH logger sensor, try to keep temperature range 60 F - 77 F degree and RH 50% with minimal fluctuations according to ASHRAE recommendations for museums, galleries, archives, and libraries. 
    Best,
    Lev Chesnov
    HVAC Control technician and part time worker at the Brooklyn Historical Society Museum. 
    lchesnov@gmail.com

Lev Chesnov
    Facilities Assistant
    Brooklyn Historical Society
    Brooklyn NY