Open Forum

View Only
Expand all | Collapse all

Copyright of commissioned artworks

• 1.  Copyright of commissioned artworks

Posted 03-16-2017 11:33 PM

Hello colleagues, 

For those of you who have commissioned artworks, who usually is the copyright holder? The artist, or the institution who commissioned the work? I understand that in cases of "work for hire" an institution would retain the copyright, but art does not seem to fall into the category of work for hire, as defined by the copyright office. I'd be grateful to hear anyone's experience or perspective. Thank you!  

Lindsay Shen, Ph.D.

Director, Art Collections

Chapman University

1 University Drive, Orange, CA 92866

AAM Annual Meeting & MuseumExpo, Baltimore, May 16-19, 2024, click to learn more

• 2.  RE: Copyright of commissioned artworks

Posted 03-17-2017 09:58 AM

Hello again, Lindsay -

I'll be very interested to see what others with more knowledge than I have in this area might have to say.  Many years ago, I was an employee of a university museum and was wondering about copyright issues.  The campus attorney told me that the museum/university would own the copyrights to the artworks that I was creating because being an employee of the museum created by definition a work for hire scenario.  Employees hired for the purpose of creating art should have no expectation of copyright ownership (employees of Disney who drew Ariel don't own any copyrights to The Little Mermaid).  I got the impression that the bulk of her experience involving intellectual property and the university was mainly in technology transfer (pharmaceuticals, biotechnology, engineering, etc.) rather than in art or media, but I understood her reasoning.

When the artist is not an employee, but instead is acting as a freelance artist who was commissioned to create the artwork, I would expect that ownership of copyrights should be specified in the commission contract prior to the creation of the work.  I'm not sure if there is a legal default answer if no copyright terms are specified in the contract.  

Happy Friday,

Michael

------------------------------
    Michael Holland
    Principal/Owner
    Michael Holland Productions
    Bozeman MT

AAM Annual Meeting & MuseumExpo, Baltimore, May 16-19, 2024, click to learn more

• 3.  RE: Copyright of commissioned artworks

Posted 03-17-2017 11:05 AM
    Michael is right. Any work created by an employee in the usual course of the employment is owned by the employer. Boy, that sounds confusing! If a creative work is made as part of someone's job, the copyright is automatically owned by the employer.

But if the creative work is made by a freelancer, that person always owns the copyright unless it is specifically assigned to the person or company who commissioned the work. The usual phrase, the one that copyright law recognizes, is that is is a "work for hire." Work for hire can only be used in cases where the creative work is specifically commissioned, and if it falls into one of the specific limited categories enumerated in the copyright act, such as part of a compilation. A good copyright lawyer can dispute the validity of a "work for hire" clause in many instances. 

If the contract says instead "transfer of copyright," it's similar but not identical to "work for hire." In that case. copyright reverts to the creator (or the creator's estate) after 35 years.

It is also possible to negotiate a license to use the work for a specific purpose and a specific period of time, which may be less costly than a "work for hire" contract, and may be the simplest way to go.

I don't know if it would help, but I put some links for one of my classes at Internet Resources: Copyright. But I am not a lawyer, and you may do well to consult one who specializes in copyright law.

Bill

Bill Barrett
    Director
    May Gallery, Webster University
    Saint Louis MO

• 4.  RE: Copyright of commissioned artworks

Posted 03-17-2017 02:26 PM

NOT LEGAL ADVICE

These posts are generally correct, and the answers are usually governed by a written agreement if there is one, that is usually entitled a Work Made For Hire Agreement (and that usually contains an assignment of the copyright as belt and suspenders).  Typically, if an employee creates the work in the course of his or her employment, the employer is the "author" of the work.  For independent contractors, the law is a bit more murky.  There is a case call CCNV v. Reid that is instructive on these issues.  Hope this helps.

Michael Oropallo JD
    Attorney

• 5.  RE: Copyright of commissioned artworks

Posted 03-17-2017 02:37 PM
    Thanks for posting that, Michael. I had forgotten the CCNV v. Reid case, and will bring that up in the relevant class.  It's especially useful because of the chain of differing opinions along the way.

(Funny thing is that I knew the CCNV folks long before that case went to court.)

Bill

Bill Barrett
    Director
    May Gallery, Webster University
    Saint Louis MO

• 6.  RE: Copyright of commissioned artworks

Posted 03-17-2017 02:51 PM
    As I understand it, and I'm not a lawyer, the artist retains copyright. That continues with the artists estate for 75 years after they die. The heirs can file to extend it. If the artist signs over the copyright to the institution in writing, then the institution would own copyright. There is often a financial agreement for that. Otherwise, the institution can make licensing agreements with the artist if they want to reproduce the piece for a profit. I recommend making these agreements up front with the artist, so both parties know each other's expectations.

• 7.  RE: Copyright of commissioned artworks

Posted 03-20-2017 08:12 AM
    The key to your question is the term 'commissioned', but only if the parties stipulate in writing that the end result (and only that end result) is produced as a 'work for hire' and becomes the intellectual property of X.

The author of a creative work is always the copyright holder - the category of 'work for hire' seeks to establish that the author is principally or exclusively someone(s) other than the person who executed the work. (e.g. a Hollywood motion picture which involves hundreds of creative contributors.)

The US Copyright Office has published a circular on the topic: https://www.copyright.gov/circs/circ09.pdf

Kevin Coffee
    Oneida Community Mansion House
    Oneida, NY

• 8.  RE: Copyright of commissioned artworks

Posted 03-20-2017 01:32 PM
    Thanks everyone for your sound advice on this one! 
    Lindsay

Lindsay Shen PhD
    Director of Art Collections
    Chapman University Art Collections
    Orange CA

• 9.  RE: Copyright of commissioned artworks

Posted 03-21-2017 10:40 AM

I am an attorney and have taught a course entitled "Art and Museum Law" for over thirty years.  The subject matter of the course is covered on the book I wrote for Rowman & Littlefield that was published in 2014. There is a chapter on the rights of artists that includes a summary of the copyright law.  Section 101 of 17 U.S.C. defines a "work for hire" as a "work prepared by an employee within the scope of employment" and certain categories of commissioned works, which are produced as a result of a special order, but only if there is a written agreement that the work is "made for hire."  "Work for hire" also discussed in 17 U.S.C. 201.  If an artist prepares a work with the artist's scope of employment, the artist's employer is considered to be the source of copyright ownership and is regarded as the initial owner of the copyright unless there is an agreement to the contrary.   "Commissioned works" are "works made for hire" only if there is an express agreement in writing signed by the parties stating that the work is a "work made for hire."  In CCNV v. Reid, the Supreme Court ruled the sculpture of contemporary homeless persons was not a "work for hire" because it determined the sculptor was an independent contractor, not an employee, and that there was no written agreement that it was a "work for hire;" thus, the sculpture had the copyright in the work.  The Court did state the nonprofit organization that commissioned the work could be a joint author if its ideas ands concepts were embodied in the work.
        One author, Treece, described the "work for hire" concept as a "callous disregard for the paternity right of creative persons."

Marilyn Phelan PhD, JD
    Paul Whitfield Horn Professor of Law Emeritus
    Texas Tech University
    Lubbock TX

• 10.  RE: Copyright of commissioned artworks

Posted 03-22-2017 11:03 AM
    Check employment handbooks that may also reflect on employment status as well as a call to the possible owners legal reps.  In latter case ask if a "donation" in exchange for acknowledgement of gift etc and recognition in labeling etc. might be a good incentive to resolve any murky issues if you are a nonprofit and will not use it for profit.  If a community organization in the claimed "owners"  area that may help too.  A little schmoozing can go a long way in a lot of these situations.  

Kenneth Fenner
    DOCENT
    Albuquerque NM

• 11.  RE: Copyright of commissioned artworks

Posted 03-23-2017 10:01 AM
    Also, in the end, it would be best to go back and see what documentation is connected to the specific work. Often your institution may have rights to use the art indefinitely, since you commissioned it, but the copyright is retained by the artist. I also know, however, that in many of the contracts we draw up at my institution with commissioning artwork, it is stated in the contract that because it is a commissioned artwork we retain the copyright. So documentation would help if there is any to look at.

Rebecca Dupont
    Arlington VA