Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Collections Care

Posted 01-30-2017 01:29 PM
    Hi all, 

My museum recently received a donation of a mailed coconut from 1922. While it is an interesting object, I want to be sure how to care for it properly before we accept it into our collection. I've done a little bit of digging, but I unfortunately haven't been able to find much information in how to care for them. Any one have any hints? Thanks!

(If it helps, the coconut seems in good condition as it is, there are a few small cracks on one end.) 

------------------------------
    Elizabeth Palmer
    Archives Coordinator
    Ella Sharp Museum Association of Jackson
    Jackson MI
    AAM Annual Meeting & MuseumExpo, Baltimore, May 16-19, 2024, click to learn more

• 2.  RE: Collections Care

Posted 02-03-2017 09:29 AM
    Hi,

I have never had a coconut, but I have worked with some difficult wooden materials that had the possibility to leak. If it was me, I would make/buy a corroplast box for it, and line the box with dartek. I would store it on a bottom shelf away from other objects in case it leaks. I would think at this point the likelihood of it leaking is slim, but as I said I am not a coconut expert. I would check the tissue in the box for residue pretty regularly for awhile just to see if anything is happening. Good luck!

Laura Nemmers

Laura Nemmers
    Collections Consultant
    Gainesville FL

AAM Annual Meeting & MuseumExpo, Baltimore, May 16-19, 2024, click to learn more