Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Museum "speed walkers"

Posted 08-22-2019 05:13 PM
    We have a couple (longtime members) who use the Museum (essentially) to speed walk during their lunchtime.

I've tried to find information in the AAM resource library (maybe how there's a safety issue with them?) but would appreciate any assistance/advice on how to handle them.  My preference would be to graciously ask them to not speedwalk here.

At times, they speak very loud to each other and when we have galleries closed (exhibition transitions) it really seems to annoy Museum staff (we are not a large Museum) as they then continually circle the long hallway near the administrative offices.  I am not aware of any of our visitors complaining at this time.

We certainly want to be open, inclusive and accessible to all, but I really think that the only reason they have a membership is to be able to speed walk when it's warm outside (We are in Bakersfield, CA, so it's HOT here right now) and we are close to their place of work.

Any suggestions are appreciated!!

Thanks!
    ~Amy

------------------------------
    Amy Smith
    Executive Director
    Bakersfield Museum of Art
    Bakersfield CA
    AAM Annual Meeting & MuseumExpo, Baltimore, May 16-19, 2024, click to learn more

• 2.  RE: Museum "speed walkers"

Posted 08-23-2019 08:20 AM
    Maybe it's just me - certainly not speaking on behalf of my organization - but if they're paying for memberships and not irritating the other guests, what's the big deal? 

Jay

--

Jay Templin, James Fort Supervisor

Jamestown-Yorktown Foundation  -  P.O. Box 1607 -  Williamsburg, VA 23187

(757) 253-4247 - fax (757) 887-1306

www.HistoryIsFun.org- Follow us on Facebook

AAM Annual Meeting & MuseumExpo, Baltimore, May 16-19, 2024, click to learn more

• 3.  RE: Museum "speed walkers"

Posted 08-23-2019 10:32 AM
    Ms. Smith and Museum Colleagues:

Speed walking in a museum?!? While the walkers' first few laps may arouse concerns of appropriateness and safety, and their mid-session laps may build cumulative annoyance (cacophonous chatter, olfactory overload), by their 50th circuit, this constituent conundrum may reveal an opportunity.

If indeed our current best practices in the field encourage museums to allow visitors to create their own experience and derive their own meaning; and encourage museums to truly embrace the interests of our members, stakeholders, and community, why not seize a new opportunity for relevance brought to the fore by these speed walkers?

A spacious art museum with wide hallways might consider:

A new membership level for speed walkers! ($1000 per year includes a monthly gala serving electrolyte-replacing sports drinks and awarding ribbons for mileage achievement.)

Museum-branded t-shirts and sweatshirts. (These big-dollar members could trot your museum logo proudly around town.)

A designated walking track with painted lanes (... to keep the peppy striders from wandering off into the Conservation Department.)

An "Art on Track" exhibit along the route, like billboards along a highway, perhaps with European baroque-era paintings of the overfed noble class as exercise motivation. (To encourage learning about art, walkers could enter a monthly art trivia contest based on the rotating exhibition. The prize could be a pair of fresh spongy insoles.)

To monitor these avid walkers in a program that is sure to grow, or course the museum will need a pricy customized software application. (To track mileage fairly and accurately, this software will undoubtedly need to integrate data from computer chips provided to the walker/members, and from a video system ... new and separate from existing museum security cameras.

Finally, in absorbing a good lesson from museum pioneer P.T. Barnum, an innocuous "Exit" sign could be posted at the far reaches of the walking loop. If and when the walkers exceeded the museum director's threshold of tolerance, the director could push a button to change the sign to: "This Way to the Walking Loop" ... which would lead them all out back into the parking lot.

That is more than enough folly for today. But in conundrums there are opportunities.

Reginald Bacon
    Independent Museum Professional ... and Circus/Vaudevillian Emeritus
    Newburyport, Mass.
    varietyarts@comcast.net
    www.VarietyArtsEnterprises.com
    www.VarietyArtsPress.com
    www.CrankyTypographer.com

• 4.  RE: Museum "speed walkers"

Posted 08-26-2019 02:51 PM
    This is genius. Made my day!

Tracy Bidwell
    Chief Registrar
    Fred Jones Jr. Museum of Art - University of Oklahoma
    Norman OK

• 5.  RE: Museum "speed walkers"

Posted 08-23-2019 12:18 PM
    Amy:

As long as the speed walking doesn't result in any notable danger to the works on view, I would recommend that you and your staff ask yourselves to what degree the speed walker behavior interferes with other visitors' enjoyment of the Museum.  Barring potential for physical harm to the works on view, this should be the standard governing any action you might take.  

If loud conversation (from speed walkers or others) interferes notably with regular gallery visitors, in-gallery school programs, and/or docent tours of the galleries, then you should ask those engaging in loud conversations to reduce their volume (but not necessarily stop their speed walking).  Similarly, if speed walking through the galleries results in walkers bumping into casual gallery visitors, plowing through school groups or docent tours in a disruptive manner, or otherwise causing other visitors to have a degraded Museum experience, then you can legitimately ask speed walkers from refraining in engaging in this activity in your galleries.  As for staff being annoyed with hall walkers when galleries are closed, I would suggest you urge them to be tolerant if this activity does not seem to disturb other visitors.  

Regards,

John

John E. Coraor, Ph.D.
    Founder & Chief Consultant
    Cultural Management Partners LLC
    P.O. Box 1294
    Huntington, NY   11743
    631-271-3909