Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Collections move

Posted 09-03-2021 03:24 PM

Hello wonderful colleagues!  We are planning on moving a large portion of our collections into a new storage building starting sometime in late 2022.  Our collection includes a little bit of everything –fine art, decorative art, archives etc.  We're looking for a reliable company who has experience moving museum collections.  Does anyone have any recommendations?  We're in Delaware.  Thank you!

Paula Phipps

Interpretive Programs Supervisor

1600 Rockland Road

Wilmington, DE 19806

302-651-6966

paula.phipps@nemours.org

AAM Annual Meeting & MuseumExpo, Baltimore, May 16-19, 2024, click to learn more

• 2.  RE: Collections move

Posted 09-07-2021 07:19 AM
    I cannot recommend Ely, Inc enough.  They packed and moved almost our entire museum in 2019. And library.  And even helped me reassemble the library shelving at the new museum building.   Indispensable and competent.  A little expensive, but worth it.  From the tiniest most fiddly items to giant iron safes and stained glass.  It all arrived safely.  The thing that helped most, outside of their expertise, was having a planned destination location for every heavy and bulky object so they never crowded the staging area and it stayed smooth. They even have registrars that help prepare box labels and lists, and the project manager, Ryan was awesome.

------------------------------
    Alena Renner
    Collections Manager
    American Civil War Museum
    Richmond VA

AAM Annual Meeting & MuseumExpo, Baltimore, May 16-19, 2024, click to learn more

• 3.  RE: Collections move

Posted 09-08-2021 12:39 PM

Thank you all!!!

Paula Phipps

Interpretive Programs Supervisor

1600 Rockland Road

Wilmington, DE 19806

302-651-6966

paula.phipps@nemours.org

• 4.  RE: Collections move

Posted 09-07-2021 08:55 AM
    Hi Paula, 

I've used Atelier for all sorts of projects over the years, including collection moves:

Atelier Fine Art Services
    PO Box 56316
    Philadelphia, PA 19130
    Best,
    Stacey

Stacey Swīgart
    Director, Atwater Kent Collections
    Lenfest Center for Cultural Partnerships
    Drexel University

• 5.  RE: Collections move

Posted 09-07-2021 09:10 AM
    Atelier in Philadelphia is an excellent fine arts moving company. 
    Atelier
    Atelier remove preview
    Atelier
    Educational Institutions are home to countless pieces of history that we strive to protect and preserve while offering creative and cost-effective solutions for a wide range of budgets.
    View this on Atelier >

Ellen Endslow
    Director of Collections/Curator
    Chester County History Center
    West Chester PA
    Chester County History Center

• 6.  RE: Collections move

Posted 09-07-2021 03:12 PM
    Hi Paula!
    I'm actually the registrar down south at The Biggs and I live up in Wilmington! Crozier and Atelier Art Services come to mind. Also, I've used TCI (Transport Consultants International I believe) to also help with sourcing companies too and they usually give 2 different estimates.

Let me know if you have any other questions/thoughts! Feel free to call/text too: 919-452-7825

• 7.  RE: Collections move

Posted 09-08-2021 11:29 AM
    I've used US Arts for a full collections move in the past. They were phenomenal under some problematic restrictions. Our move was actually on such a tight timeline that we also used Terry Dowd, out of Chicago. I don't know how far east they go.

Linda Endersby
    Registrar/Collections Mgr
    Museum of Art & Archaeology, University of Missouri - Columbia
    Columbia MO

• 8.  RE: Collections move

Posted 09-08-2021 02:10 PM
    I also highly recommend Ely!  We work with them often and just did a large collections move to a new storage facility in August.  They were efficient, careful, and well organized as always.  We scheduled with Dermot and but, as previously mentioned, Ryan is also awesome and worked with us on the project, along with 3 other guys.

Sabine Fisher
    Associate Collections Manager
    Hillwood Estate, Museum & Gardens
    Washington DC