Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Interactive displays

Posted 07-29-2018 10:47 AM
    I am currently volunteering at a local Naval museum to create some interactive displays.  Specifically, I using microcontrollers connected to the original controls to provide indication on instruments and sound effects to simulate a missile launch.  I plan on adding video soon, as well.

A little history about myself:  I was trained as an electronics technician, but because electronics are now mostly disposable, I have been obsoleted.  I then went into programming until the language I was proficient in was no longer supported.  I've ended up in a dead-end government job that I absolutely despise.  I would really like to do this type of work for other museums, at least part time and local to start.

Before I try to solicit this type of work from other museums, I would like to know what they are typically charged.  I don't want to price myself out of the market before I even get started.  Also, what is the best way to contact museums?  Email?  Brochure in the mail?  I'd prefer to avoid phone calls.  I'm a very technical person, and my social skills aren't always the best.  The cold call usually ends in abysmal failure. 

And just to let you know, I have other construction and mechanical skills that would aid me in doing this type of work.  But if I listed them all here, this would turn into some sort of advertisement, and that's not my intention at all.

Any information you could provide would be appreciated.

Thank you.

------------------------------
    Bill Browne
    Westlake LA
    ------------------------------
    AAM Annual Meeting & MuseumExpo, Baltimore, May 16-19, 2024, click to learn more