Open Forum

View Only

Museum Scavenger Hunt Challenge in Matterport Virtual Tour

• 1.  Museum Scavenger Hunt Challenge in Matterport Virtual Tour

Posted 03-01-2021 02:59 PM
    Edited by Michael Balot-Garza 03-02-2021 06:12 PM
    Hi AAM community,

It has been a great pleasure to see all of the amazing virtual resources that institutions have been creating to reach visitors remotely, and I want to share a Matterport-based scavenger hunt activity that we at the Wende Museum have put together to encourage folks to explore the finer details of our Virtual Tour platform: https://my.matterport.com/show/?m=6H92bxJF48K

Adding to the discourse on here about the pros and cons of different virtual tour hosts, I can attest that we have found Matterport to be an excellent fit for our needs, with its crisp imagery, smooth navigation, and ease of embedding many different types of media into the virtual space. Additionally, their customer service has been a consistent resource for us, especially during the process of updating published models with new imagery. We anticipate that we will continue to keep this virtual space alive and updated with forthcoming installations/exhibitions even beyond when the museum can resume regular operations. The gained ability to reach a global audience in this way is too valuable to leave behind. 

As for the scavenger hunt, there are four different challenges throughout the space (indicated by GREEN Mattertags), and, if you were to send any number of screenshots of your findings to education@wendemuseum.org, you will receive a $25 gift certificate to the Wende Museum gift shop for your participation.  

Open questions for everyone here:

How are your institutions activating virtual spaces to make them a place of play and learning? What are some ways in which we take these re-creations of museum spaces and make them feel more alive? How do you anticipate merging the virtual spaces that have been built up over the last year back into the physical realm? Can they creatively work in-tandem?

Much to consider!

------------------------------
    Michael Balot-Garza
    Education Manager
    Wende Museum and Archive of the Cold War
    Culver City CA
    ------------------------------
    AAM Annual Meeting & MuseumExpo, Baltimore, May 16-19, 2024, click to learn more