Open Forum

View Only
Expand all | Collapse all

Music Heavy Exhibitions

• 1.  Music Heavy Exhibitions

Posted 07-26-2017 04:16 PM
    Edited by Cecelia Walls 07-31-2017 10:30 AM
    Hello all,
    I was wondering if anyone had any experience at their institution with music driven content exhibitions and licensing? Does anyone have any information about where I might find case studies or best practices articles on music licensing for <g class="gr_ gr_18 gr-alert gr_spell gr_inline_cards gr_run_anim ContextualSpelling ins-del" id="18" data-gr-id="18">non-profit</g> exhibitions with heavy music content? I am looking for any information about best practice outlines for exhibition use of music as content and any licensing experience involved in securing permissions etc.

Thank you for any insight that you can provide.

AAM Annual Meeting & MuseumExpo, Baltimore, May 16-19, 2024, click to learn more

• 2.  RE: Music Heavy Exhibitions

Posted 07-27-2017 09:15 AM
    As a former art museum guard, please consider your music idea as a potential work place hazard. Any song, or combination of songs, can be lovely once or twice. Which of your staff members will be listening to it over and over for MONTHS? It can be a form of cruelty. Frankly, any audio on a repeating loop creates the same problems.

------------------------------
    Larry Brow
    Library Assistant/Archivist
    Kansas University
    Lawrence KS

AAM Annual Meeting & MuseumExpo, Baltimore, May 16-19, 2024, click to learn more

• 3.  RE: Music Heavy Exhibitions

Posted 07-27-2017 09:23 AM
    You might try getting in touch with someone at the Museum of Popular Culture in Seattle.  I went there a few years ago and many (if not all) of the exhibits were centered around musical groups and featured lots of a/v components from what I remember.

Geoffrey Woodcox
    Assistant Curator of Collections
    State Historical Society of North Dakota
    Bismarck ND

• 4.  RE: Music Heavy Exhibitions

Posted 07-27-2017 10:31 AM
    I can advise on music-driven exhibitions, based on my many years of experience at The New York Public Library for the Performing Arts and elsewhere.

--
    Barbara Cohen-Stratyner, Ph. D.
    Suite 7C, 265 Riverside Drive
    Now blogging at outsidethemuseumblog on Wordpress.com

If you happen to be in Jacksonville, Florida, visit the artifacts, films and images in our collaboration with Dance Theatre of Harlem and CAAM.  The exhibition Dance Theatre of Harlem: 40 Years of Firsts, is now at the Rita Theatre and Museum, April 15 - July 20, 2017. http://www.ritzjacksonville.com/Museum

James Baldwin - You think your pain and your heartbreak are unprecedented in the history of the world, but then you read. [Early Essays]
    Alice Walker -- Hard times require furious dancing.
    Mila Jasey -- If you are not at the table, you are on the menu

• 5.  RE: Music Heavy Exhibitions

Posted 07-27-2017 11:03 AM
    Hi,

My suggestion would be to contact the following Museums as music licensing can get complicated.

Experience Music Project Museum - Seattle, WA
    Rock and Roll Hall of Fame and Museum - Cleveland, OH
    GRAMMY Museum - Los Angeles, CA

Hope that helps.

Regards,

Su

Sent from my iPad

• 6.  RE: Music Heavy Exhibitions

Posted 08-01-2017 12:16 PM
    Thanks!
    I sent out some inquiry emails today. This was a great suggestion.

Brittany Bradley MBA
    Intellectual Property and Imaging Coordinator
    Oakland Museum of California
    Oakland CA

• 7.  RE: Music Heavy Exhibitions

Posted 07-27-2017 11:13 AM
    Hi Brittany, 

I don't personally have experience in this, but you might try reaching out to the Country Music Hall of Fame and Museum (Nashville, TN), the Birthplace of Country Music Museum (Bristol, TN), and the Stax Museum (Memphis, TN). 

Best,
    Margaret

Margaret Walker
    Assistant Curator
    Vanderbilt University Fine Arts Gallery
    Nashville TN

• 8.  RE: Music Heavy Exhibitions

Posted 08-01-2017 12:17 PM
    Thanks for the great suggestions! I'll send some emails today and see who I can get in contact with.

Brittany Bradley MBA
    Intellectual Property and Imaging Coordinator
    Oakland Museum of California
    Oakland CA

• 9.  RE: Music Heavy Exhibitions

Posted 08-02-2017 06:20 PM
    Hi Brittany,

Please reach out to Brooke Wentz at the Rights Workshop, music supervision and licensing is her forte.

Best wishes,

Kirsten

Brooke Wentz
    Rights Workshop
    415-561-3333
    bmw@rightsworkshop.com
    The Rights Workshop
    Rightsworkshop remove preview
    The Rights Workshop
    Preeminent music supervision, licensing, and creative clearance company.
    View this on Rightsworkshop >

Kirsten Shilakes
    The Arts Lounge
    Film Centre at the Presidio
    39 Mesa Street, Suite 104
    San Francisco, CA 94129

Kirsten Shilakes
    Founder
    San Francisco CA

• 10.  RE: Music Heavy Exhibitions

Posted 07-28-2017 08:31 AM
    Hi Briitany, you may want to read my classmate's thesis on music in the museum: Does Music Matter to Museum Visitors?: Understanding the Effect of Music in an Exhibit on the Visitor Experience. Hope it helps!

Claire Aldenhuysen
    Museum Educator
    National Model Aviation Museum, Academy of Model Aeronautics
    Muncie IN

• 11.  RE: Music Heavy Exhibitions

Posted 07-28-2017 08:46 AM
      |   view attached
    Hola. En Puerto Rico estamos desarrollando-para inagurarse al final de este semestre- el Museo de la Música de Puerto Rico Rafael Ithier. Una narrativa completa de la historia de la música con amplio despliegue de tecnologías. 

En la entrada se le entrega a cada visitante una tableta que servirá de ujier virtual donde con solo acercar la tableta a la imagen reconoce la misma y le ofrece la oportunidad de escuchar su música, ver videos e imágenes relacionadas. Puede leer más sobre su biografía y enviarse la información por correo. 

La primera sala es para conocer los instrumentos, en cristales transparentes una proyecciòn le ofrece la oportunidad de "tocar" los instrumento, un video de un músico tocando el instrumento y una descripción del mismo. Se puede, adicional dirigir una orquesta virtual, retratarse con su artista favorito, grabar una canciòn de forma profesional, y mucho mucho mas... estamos seguros de poder ayudarle en todo lo relacionado. 

Podemos comunicarnos y ofrecerle mucha mas informaciòn relacionada

Alberto Soto
    Presidente
    Artegrafiko
    San Juan,
    Puerto Rico 00918
    asoto@artegrafiko.com
    787-250-6193

• 12.  RE: Music Heavy Exhibitions

Posted 07-28-2017 11:50 AM
    I was the original Interactive Technology lead at MOPOP (Formerly Experience Music Project in Seattle) there are lots of issues regarding music use licenses depending on how you are using the Music. background music in a gallery requires a subsc7/license from ASCAP. Music Sync to a video requires a different license most people stray away from, which is why you'll be in a bar or restaurant where music videos might be on screen, but there is different music playing. I designed a full frequency, full range speaker that in a blind test, everyone chose hands down as the best playback system for controlled audio delivery with minimum bleed.
    As far as multiple activities with music and sound, that is a fine balancing act between speaker placement, acoustic absorption and speaker types. Feel free to contact me directly.

Reek Havok
    Sound Designer and Interactive
    Long Beach CA
    Havok@SoundsAmazing.com(714) 453-9975

• 13.  RE: Music Heavy Exhibitions

Posted 07-28-2017 08:11 PM
    If you are looking to play music in the background of a video, or if you want the music to only play when the exhibit is being interacted with, we have solutions that can do this for you!
    Digital Signage Solutions, Digital Signage Players - Looping DVD & Media Players. Digital Signage Players
    Videoteldigital remove preview
    Digital Signage Solutions, Digital Signage Players - Looping DVD & Media Players. Digital Signage Players
    Digital signage for hospitals, gaming, retail, government agencies and museums markets
    View this on Videoteldigital >

Please feel free to reach out with any questions! :)

Lisa Schneider
    Vice President of Sales & Business Development
    Videotel, Inc.
    Chula Vista CA

• 14.  RE: Music Heavy Exhibitions

Posted 08-02-2017 09:26 AM

Thank you for asking this question. Exhibit designers neglect good audio design far too often.

From personal experience as a performing musician and as a museum professional, one of the largest practical issues with music in the gallery is the sound level across and between spaces. 

If you have different areas with different audio tracks, the cacophony of competing sound can be disturbing. Unless you are providing means to absorb or block sound between spaces, one audio track will interfere with others. I have seen this with music and with spoken audio. 

If not done correctly, you may experience a situation in which you have tracks (too) quiet so as to not interfere with each other or blaring so they can be heard over each other (and overwhelming everything else in the gallery). 

My 2 cents. 

Thanks, 
    Dave K.

David Kennedy
    Curator of Collections and Exhibits
    US Marshals Museum
    Fort Smith, AR