Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  short history film

Posted 10-20-2021 01:28 PM
    Hello,

We are a small history museum in Northern NY. We recently received a grant to support the production of a new short film that will introduce the history of our region to museum visitors. As we brainstorm approaches, we are looking for a few examples of good, recent films of this genre that can help guide our thinking. We welcome any suggestions the community may have. We are finding many examples on YouTube of films that introduce visitors to museums, but short films introducing an overarching historical story are harder to find online, and the ones we are finding are quite dated.

Thank you for any suggestions!
    Amy
    Executive Director
    Historic Saranac Lake

------------------------------
    Amy Catania
    Executive Director
    Historic Saranac Lake
    Saranac Lake NY
    AAM Annual Meeting & MuseumExpo, Baltimore, May 16-19, 2024, click to learn more

• 2.  RE: short history film

Posted 10-21-2021 09:13 AM
    Good morning,
        I recently saw your post about creating a short film about your region's history.  Projects like this usually need a customer approach, as everyone's story, and audience, is very different.  We've done varied work with museums, telling their stories through film projects.  I would be more than happy to chat with you about what you're looking for.  

Thanks,
    Adam
    adam@hemlockfilms.com

PS - Actually, here's a piece we're out of town lecturing about this weekend, just to give you a sample of the work:
    Rise Above: WASP - 90 Second Trailer

Adam White
    Co-Owner
    Hemlock Films
    Twinsburg OH

AAM Annual Meeting & MuseumExpo, Baltimore, May 16-19, 2024, click to learn more

• 3.  RE: short history film

Posted 10-21-2021 09:15 AM
    Dear Ms. Catania,
    For good historic documentaries, I recommend Atun-Shei Films, who has made great videos and short documentaries about history. His videos on King Phillip's War are especially good for describing the history of the New England region in the 1600's. You can find his videos here https://www.youtube.com/c/AtunSheiFilms/videos. Let me know if this fits what you're looking for. 

Sincerely,
    Julia Bloom
    Massachusetts State House Tours Division

Julia Bloom
    Tour Guide
    Arlington MA

• 4.  RE: short history film

Posted 10-21-2021 01:46 PM
    I suppose a question I have would be your definition of "short". Something visitors will sit for/engage with on site, or something to be viewed online/in a theater space? At the Whatcom we've done short (3-5 min) films on various topics, some that we've contracted and some in-house. We've used some grant funding to develop our in house resources for production (tech but also staff time) as that pays off in the long run, and personally I feel this COVID inspired shift to video won't be going away anytime soon. Just another thought.

Drew Whatley
    Museum Educator
    Whatcom Museum
    Bellingham WA

• 5.  RE: short history film

Posted 10-25-2021 11:17 AM
    When it comes to short films I would like to add that I have volunteered before with the AFF (Alexandria Film Festival) which did give lots of space to shorts.  It seems like this usually considered those under 30 minutes.  Also in 2018 I was in San Antonio for a Navy Reunion and we toured the Alamo and the Texas History Museum before it, which is quite close.  This museum features a film about the state, showing not just the history but current scenes as well.  Some of us in the group commented on how good the film was and even thought every state should have an equivalent.

Jerry Foley