Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Masters Programs

Posted 09-20-2017 01:40 PM

Hiya!

I am looking into Masters Programs in Museum Studies and was wondering if anyone could provide any insight. My BA is in History, in case that effects your advice at all. It will have to be a distance program, although I can fly in to complete on campus requirements as long as they can be condensed to a specific time frame, preferably shorter than a month at a time. I am most interested in the the Johns Hopkins, and Harvard Extension School programs. For both programs, I have concerns. Johns Hopkins does not require thesis, and I am worried I will constantly have to explain that Harvard "Extension School" courses are the same caliber as the on campus courses. Both courses have an on campus requirement even though the majority of the program is distance. Another factor is that the GI Bill is paying for my school, so cost is not an issue. I really want the best education that I can possibly get.

Have you gone through or do you have any familiarity with either of these programs? Does either carry less weight because of the above mentioned concerns? Would you recommend either above the other?

Thank you so much!

------------------------------
    Kate Tallman
    University of Alaska Museum of the North
    Fairbanks AK
    AAM Annual Meeting & MuseumExpo, Baltimore, May 16-19, 2024, click to learn more

• 2.  RE: Masters Programs

Posted 09-21-2017 09:06 AM
    Have you joined the Emerging Museum Professionals Facebook group? Lots of questions like this posted and discussed there.

Marianne Wardle
    Andrew W. Mellon Curator of Academic Initiatives
    Nasher Museum of Art at Duke University

AAM Annual Meeting & MuseumExpo, Baltimore, May 16-19, 2024, click to learn more

• 3.  RE: Masters Programs

Posted 09-21-2017 09:48 AM
    I would recommend the program at University of Oklahoma. A friend of mine went through it and it was thorough. She had projects in every aspects of the museum.

Melissa Pena
    Archival Assistant
    Museum of South Texas History
    Edinburg TX

• 4.  RE: Masters Programs

Posted 09-21-2017 09:49 AM
    Hi Kate:

I wouldn't worry too much about the thesis requirement.  To be honest, I don't even list my thesis on my resume, though some might if theirs is particularly relevant to their area of expertise.  No one has asked me about it at an interview. My program required one when I went through but eliminated it within the last year or two because it didn't garner enough value for the amount of time and effort it required.

Personally speaking, I went to a traditional, on-campus program and I don't look at an online program and see it as any less valid. For the last few interviews I've had, my program was brought up in passing but it wasn't a focus of interview questions.  In the past when I've interviewed people for an internship or job, I check to see if the person has the academic qualifications that the job requires, but the particular program and online/on-campus type doesn't matter to me.  Again, that's me.  Others could be different.

Best of luck with your studies!

Geoffrey Woodcox
    Assistant Curator of Collections
    State Historical Society of North Dakota
    Bismarck ND

• 5.  RE: Masters Programs

Posted 09-21-2017 10:28 AM
    I am currently in the JHU Museum Studies masters program. While it is true that it does not require a thesis, if you do the dual degree in Digital Curation, there is a thesis requirement.

Allison Izaksonas

• 6.  RE: Masters Programs

Posted 09-21-2017 12:05 PM

I attended JHU and was VERY happy with the degree of the education and have NEVER had anyone question the validity of my degree. I will tell you that going online takes A LOT of commitment and self-drive. The professors and counselors made themselves available whenever you needed extra guidance. Also because I work full time I was not able to transfer for the internship, I was able to get an approved exception to complete it in NJ at an accredited museum. If you want to talk and ask questions outside of this forum send me a message and we can set up a time. BEST OF LUCK!

JOANNE DELRIO MBA
    CORPORATE ART CURATOR

• 7.  RE: Masters Programs

Posted 09-21-2017 01:46 PM
    I attended Pratt Institute in Brooklyn, which requires a thesis for completion.  I was a dual degree student (MLIS / Art History) but there were several students whose focus was museum studies.  Many of us found jobs right after graduation.  While you state that because you have access to using your GI Bill, you should be concerned.  The GI Bill covers only so much per term and because Pratt is a private institute, I still incurred student debt.

Kelly Kubiak
    Assistant Director & Collections Manager
    Hunter House Victorian Museum
    Norfolk VA