Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Website Redesign Tips?

Posted 01-16-2019 01:07 PM

Hello,

We've been tasked with re-imagining our website to host more dynamic and engaging content. While I've been down this road in the past (for an archival institution), I though soliciting the museum professionals for their thoughts. Specifically:

1. Must Have Content (beyond the basics)
    2. Avoid at All Costs Content

As an aviation museum, we understandably have a big draw of macro artifacts, but we have nearly 2.5 million documents and 35,000 micro-artifacts that sometimes get lost in the conversation. We've recently captured some interior drone footage of the museum and hanging aircraft, which we think is pretty dynamic and provides an interesting perspective.

All thoughts are welcome, and thanks in advance.

Kind regards,

Marc

------------------------------
    Marc Levitt MLS
    Archivist
    National Naval Aviation Museum
    NAS Pensacola FL
    AAM Annual Meeting & MuseumExpo, Baltimore, May 16-19, 2024, click to learn more

• 2.  RE: Website Redesign Tips?

Posted 01-17-2019 08:05 AM
    Marc,

i thought your site was great!  Just a few comments coming from the point of view of someone who would be using it as a researcher.  First, I might add a label "Research" for the library and collection search and information on how to contact the archivists and curators.  I found the library and search under "Education" but to me that means programs like field trips, etc.  And second, a robust collection search feature would give people access to all of those other interesting objects and documents that you hold.  I could not get the collection search to work.  Adding a way to browse the collection or suggesting specific collections to search (say the "Dinwiddie Widget Collection" or the "Letters of Airman Collection" would also give people a better idea of what is in your collection.  

The drone thing sounds cool!

Michele Lyons
    Curator
    Stetten Museum of Medical Research NIH
    Bethesda MD

AAM Annual Meeting & MuseumExpo, Baltimore, May 16-19, 2024, click to learn more

• 3.  RE: Website Redesign Tips?

Posted 01-17-2019 09:17 AM
    When thinking about how to prioritize information/content on the website this should really be informed by analytics. It is likely that your current website is collecting analytics based on page visits, amount of time spent on site, location of those visiting, device being used to access the website (mobile/PC) etc. This information can help prioritize what visitors truly want quick access to and makes that decision process objective.

Also, if you are considering a redesign I strongly encourage you and those who will be working on the project to delve into Web Content Accessibility Guidelines (WCAG). WCAG is developed through the W3C process in cooperation with individuals and organizations around the world, with a goal of providing a single shared standard for web content accessibility that meets the needs of individuals, organizations, and governments internationally.

Web Content Accessibility Guidelines (WCAG) Overview
    Web Accessibility Initiative (WAI) remove preview
    Web Content Accessibility Guidelines (WCAG) Overview
    This page introduces the Web Content Accessibility Guidelines (WCAG), including WCAG 2.0 and WCAG 2.1. Quick links to resources: Page Contents Web Content Accessibility Guidelines (WCAG) is developed through the W3C process in cooperation with individuals and organizations around the world, with a goal of providing a single shared standard for web content accessibility that meets the needs of individuals, organizations, and governments internationally.
    View this on Web Accessibility Initiative (WAI) >

Mark Osterman, Ed.D.
    Adult Learning and Engagement Manager
    Vizcaya Museum and Gardens
    Miami, FL 33141

• 4.  RE: Website Redesign Tips?

Posted 01-18-2019 11:07 AM
    Hey Marc,

I saw your post on the AAM junction. I spent 10 years as a creative lead in the development of enterprise-sized websites before starting my grad degree. I have a couple of questions that may help you in your process. 

Who is your audience and what do they want from you? Content is not something that is simply created - it's created with a purpose in mind and that purpose is driven entirely by the people who use your site.

I would recommend your applying some ethnography to your questions and identify the key audiences, why they come to the site, what they are looking for, and how they use the information. Identify how much time they spend on sites like yours and that will give you length. You are looking for keywords - what are the terms they use to search for the information you provide, but you are also looking for the way that information is laced together for your audience - this will help you relate the content across your site map. Too many people creating websites for large institutions base their design on their own perspective and that sets you up for failure. 

There is information you have to have to help you with search engine optimization, but that is not just in your content, it is also in your coding in the back end of the site. Please be sure to have whatever firm you are employing optimize the backend as well. 

Good luck! 

Cecelia Ottenweller

Houston TX