Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Non-collecting Museums and Accreditation

Posted 03-05-2021 07:59 AM
    Hi all,

As an emerging and non-collecting museum, I was wondering what the accreditation process might look like as far as "collections stewardship" goes?

------------------------------
    Summer Alaniz
    AAM Annual Meeting & MuseumExpo, Baltimore, May 16-19, 2024, click to learn more

• 2.  RE: Non-collecting Museums and Accreditation

Posted 03-08-2021 09:24 AM
    We are also a non-collecting institution, and we have been through the MAP process. I learned that collections stewardship can apply to objects and exhibitions that you borrow as well - the point is how do you care for objects while they are in your possession, whether that is short- or long-term.

If you are a non-exhibiting institution as well, perhaps like an experiential museum, then I would definitely do the MAP and discuss that with your reviewer.

Meredith Peruzzi
    National Deaf Life Museum
    Gallaudet University
    Washington DC

AAM Annual Meeting & MuseumExpo, Baltimore, May 16-19, 2024, click to learn more

• 3.  RE: Non-collecting Museums and Accreditation

Posted 03-08-2021 11:31 AM
    Hi Summer,
    Perhaps this article will be of help-13 Tips to Expedite the Museum Accreditation Process. I wrote it for Artwork Archive's blog and interviewed a number of AAMG museum professionals. The article will also echo Meredith's suggestion of going through the MAP process. 

I'd be happy to chat with you about collections stewardship for non-collecting institutions. I come across this often with my work at Artwork Archive.

All the best,
    Elysian

Elysian Koglmeier
    Head of Growth
    DENVER CO