Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Museum Lighting Standards

Posted 04-01-2021 05:02 PM
    Hello All,

I wonder if anyone is aware of any concise guides on museum lighting standards?  I have the opportunity to ask my parent institution for a lighting upgrade. We currently have track lighting with no diffused light (all dimmable can / spot lights) and halogen case lighting. I have been able to put leds in many of the fixtures but I think the whole system needs an overhaul.  Do you recommend having both (dimmable) diffused and spot lights for a main gallery? 

I appreciate any and all advice gratefully. I need to make my case with the school soon.

Thank you so much

------------------------------
    Rachel Minor
    Supervisor/Curator
    Jesse Peter Museum - Santa Rosa Junior College
    Santa Rosa CA
    AAM Annual Meeting & MuseumExpo, Baltimore, May 16-19, 2024, click to learn more

• 2.  RE: Museum Lighting Standards

Posted 04-05-2021 04:31 PM
    Hi Rachel!!

The Illuminating Engineering Society authored 'RP-30 Recommended Practice for Museum Lighting' that gives a good overview of what to consider in terms of technology and approaches.
    You can find more info here:
    https://www.ies.org/open-webinar/rp-30-museum-lighting-and-lighting-for-fine-art/
    And here:
    https://store.ies.org/product/rp-30-20-recommended-practice-lighting-museums/

You might also want to consider approaching a local lighting design professional. The International Association of Lighting Designers is good place to start and they have a search feature to find local professionals. There are a number of very qualified designers out of the Bay Area (https://www.iald.org/Designers?search=true&pt=&st=&stc=&sts=CA&sc=USA&ma=San%20Francisco%20Bay%2C%20CA)

Lastly, I work for a lighting manufacturer as the business manager for museum and cultural institution projects. I would be happy to connect with you and discuss further your project and offer my assistance.

Richard Fisher
    National Manager, Culture
    ERCO Lighting

Richard Fisher
    National Manager, Culture Cluster
    ERCO Lighting, Inc.
    Edison NJ

AAM Annual Meeting & MuseumExpo, Baltimore, May 16-19, 2024, click to learn more

• 3.  RE: Museum Lighting Standards

Posted 04-06-2021 11:33 AM
    Thanks so much, Richard. I watched the webinar and found it useful. I may need to get the book.
    With appreciation,
    Rachel

Rachel Minor
    Supervisor/Curator
    Jesse Peter Museum - Santa Rosa Junior College
    Santa Rosa CA

• 4.  RE: Museum Lighting Standards

Posted 05-24-2021 01:36 PM
    Hi Rachael, If you end up with a replaceable lamp fixture (as opposed to integrated chip) I HIGHLY recommend SORAA lamps with the SNAP system. Great color and heat versatility. If you do go the integrated chip route and you do go with ERCO I'd love to hear your impressions. Those fixtures look damn sexy. Great design and great versatility. I'm happy to talk shop live anytime...

Good Luck,
    Matt

Matthew Isble
    Exhibit Designer & Founder of MuseumTrade.org
    misble@crockerartmuseum.org
    Crocker Art Museum
    Sacramento CA
    misble@crockerartmuseum.org