Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Session on interpretive/visitor experience planning at ASTC

Posted 12-06-2018 10:38 AM
    Hi all,

I would love to propose an ASTC conference session about the value of interpretive and visitor experience planning for science centers. Lots of parks, botanic gardens, and other types of museums use interpretive/visitor experience plans, but I haven't heard of as many science centers do it. If you are an interpretive planner or are an ASTC member/science center/natural history museum that has created an interpretive/visitor experience plan, want to join me?

I personally worked at a science center as an exhibit/program developer and federal grant writer for a long time and saw the need for this type of planning. In fact, I saw so much value in it that I decided to become a Certified Interpretive Planner through the National Association for Interpretation (NAI). At my institution, we used a processes similar to interpretive planning to develop individual exhibitions, but did not have any institutional or hall level plans to inform the overarching experience and interpretive goals of the museum. From the folks that I've talked to in the science center world, this is a common experience.  So, I'd love to find more people who have used interpretive or visitor experience planning processes to inform their whole institution, topic area, or new/redeveloped section of the museum in a science center context.

Thank you,
    Kyrie

Kyrie Kellett, MA CIP 
    Principal-She/Her
    Mason Bee LLC

Imagine.. Fund... Create... 
    transformative learning experiences.

AAM Annual Meeting & MuseumExpo, Baltimore, May 16-19, 2024, click to learn more

• 2.  RE: Session on interpretive/visitor experience planning at ASTC

Posted 12-07-2018 08:54 AM
    How do you navigate the docent application system in NY? I understand it's daunting. Any shortcuts?

------------------------------
    Sara Petitt EdD
    Prof. Sara Petitt
    Fashion Institute of Technology - State University of New York
    New York NY

AAM Annual Meeting & MuseumExpo, Baltimore, May 16-19, 2024, click to learn more

• 3.  RE: Session on interpretive/visitor experience planning at ASTC

Posted 12-07-2018 10:39 AM
    Hi Kyrie,
    Kudos! on bringing interpretation to the Science Center and even Museum realm. We see a lack of there also versus our nature center clients. Go get em!

Betty Brennan
    President
    Taylor Studios, Inc.
    Rantoul IL