Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  SFMOMA non-member

Posted 01-22-2018 09:28 AM
    I just returned from San Francisco where I was curious (furious) to find out that they no longer accept AAM members at SFMOMA. I asked the membership desk why and they said they stopped accepting it 18months ago.  I left in disgust pledging never to return. My question is, why does SFMOMA still accept awards from this institution if they don't value our membership?  Why should we be good enough for them when theyndo nothing for us?
    I think their membership should be revoked. 

Michael Kramer
    New York, NY

------------------------------
    Michael Kramer
    Development Officer
    Regina A. Quick Center for the Arts - St. Bonaventure University
    Saint Bonaventure NY
    AAM Annual Meeting & MuseumExpo, Baltimore, May 16-19, 2024, click to learn more

• 2.  RE: SFMOMA non-member

Posted 01-22-2018 02:01 PM

I'm sorry that you had such a disappointing visit. Free/discounted admission has never been a direct benefit of AAM membership; it's always been a voluntary decision made by the museum. We typically recommend that people check at the admissions desk of the museum they'd like to visit. Museum admissions policies change from time to time and the museum will always have the most current information.

We appreciate that so many museums generously offer free or discounted admissions as a professional courtesy to their colleagues in the field, however, it is completely at the museum's discretion.

Marjie George
    Director, Member Services
    American Alliance of Museums
    Arlington VA

AAM Annual Meeting & MuseumExpo, Baltimore, May 16-19, 2024, click to learn more

• 3.  RE: SFMOMA non-member

Posted 01-23-2018 09:16 AM
    I had the same reaction at the Museum of Northern Arizona, where the admissions desk was directly under their Accreditation certificate! In general, I find it far easier to use my ICOM card in the rest of the world than my AAM card in the U.S. Here it is too often a hassle. But thank you to those museums that are gracious and efficient (and often let in my companion too!)
    But I also think that professional courtesy  shields us from the reality faced by our visitors. When you were asked to actually pay $25, you got a sense of how the visiting public has to do a quick cost benefit  analysis under the watchful eye of a museum staff member and a line of folks behind you.

Laura Roberts, Cambridge MA

Laura Roberts
    Principal
    Roberts Consulting
    Cambridge MA

• 4.  RE: SFMOMA non-member

Posted 01-23-2018 09:34 AM
    I've encountered situations where the admissions staff seemingly didn't know about the discounted or free admission, that or policies changed and their website wasn't updated.  One time I asked for free admission and I was told by the cashier that they didn't offer it.  When I went back and checked later, free admission for AAM members was listed on their website.

It doesn't really bother me all that much.  Worst case scenario, you're financially supporting the work of fellow professionals.  If they're willing to let me in for free, then great!  If not, that's OK too.

Geoffrey Woodcox
    Assistant Curator of Collections
    State Historical Society of North Dakota
    Bismarck ND

• 5.  RE: SFMOMA non-member

Posted 01-24-2018 08:54 AM
    Free admission is a nice benefit, but I always pay admission to museums whenever I travel (or visit locally) as a show of solidarity and support for the institution I'm patronizing.  If I'm willing to pay for a nice meal, sporting event, theatre or movies tickets, etc., then I definitely feel I should be willing to pay for a museum experience.  It's a way of "voting" with my dollars to show what I value.  Plus I haven't been to any museum that couldn't use the revenue.

Just trying to re-frame the experience in those cases where one might have to pay unexpectedly.  I certainly think it's appropriate to use the AAM reciprocity agreement for free admission if that's what you want to do.

My 2 cents.

Rena Lawrence
    Assistant Historic Site Supervisor
    Log Cabin Village
    Fort Worth TX

• 6.  RE: SFMOMA non-member

Posted 01-24-2018 04:51 PM
    I know it isn't an "official" benefit of AAM membership, but this is why I posted recently about it too. A list would be helpful to know in order for people to plan/set expectations!

Ray Smith PhD
    Director
    Corita Art Center
    Los Angeles CA