Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Architectural Scrim

Posted 03-06-2017 02:49 PM
    I'm curious if anyone has used an architectural scrim or other fabric as a visual barrier in a gallery space. What product did you use, and what were the difficulties or mounting techniques that you used to create a seamless, taut surface? The samples I've seen from theatrical production fabrics don't have the finish I'm looking for in a situation where visitors will see the material up close, and I'm in the process of requesting samples from various architectural fabric companies, so any feedback on materials is much appreciated at this point. I'm looking for a translucent white material, but would love to see examples of opaque or transparent applications as well.

Many thanks,
    Skye

------------------------------
    Skye Malish-Olson
    Exhibition Designer
    Dallas Museum of Art
    Dallas TX
    AAM Annual Meeting & MuseumExpo, Baltimore, May 16-19, 2024, click to learn more

• 2.  RE: Architectural Scrim

Posted 03-07-2017 11:26 AM
    Skye,

We have done a large scale traveling exhibit for five years as well as several domestic and international exhibits where we used printed fabric walls.  These are great because they can go up and down easily and create a sort of atmosphere for your exhibition.  For mounting, we use velcro.  The fabric we use is installed with the soft side already on it, so we just provide the hook side and tape it to whatever surface we need to install the fabric on.  The velcro allows us to pull and stretch the material a bit to provide a clean face.  I've included a couple pictures with this email to show the install and final pictures of an exhibit that we have done using fabric walls.  Feel free to contact me if you would like some additional pictures.  

Hope this helps!

Matt Patrick
    Exhibit Logistics Project Manager
    Museum of the Bible
    Oklahoma City OK
    matt.patrick@mbible.org

AAM Annual Meeting & MuseumExpo, Baltimore, May 16-19, 2024, click to learn more