Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Public Funds for Private Restoration?

Posted 09-21-2021 04:37 PM

Hello All,

I expect the answer to be "that is not a thing" but I figured I'd do my due diligence on behalf of the community member who asked me this:

Does anyone know of any public funds or granting organization that someone could apply to for restoration of private property? We had a community member who collected something he believes is historically significant – the scoreboard from a local gymnasium that was once the largest in the United States -- and he is looking for funds to get it restored. I would imagine his best bet might be something like GoFundMe, but I told him I would ask the museum community on the off chance there are funds out there for this sort of thing.

Just to be completely clear, he intends to keep this as his private property, possibly displaying it at a business he owns/intends to open.

Thanks!

emailMichelle Nash
    Curator of Collections
    Elkhart County Historical Museum

Facebook28803-200

"Museum collection storage is both a physical space and an ongoing process."- NPS

AAM Annual Meeting & MuseumExpo, Baltimore, May 16-19, 2024, click to learn more

• 2.  RE: Public Funds for Private Restoration?

Posted 09-22-2021 11:41 AM

Michelle,
    I've been looking into this topic as well for a side project. Someone put together this database but I have never used it: https://historicfunding.com/

You or him may want to find out what your state offers for historical preservation. Some states offer tax credits for renovation work if the building is eligible. The federal government has a 20% tax credit for eligible historical preservation sites. If the site can get listed on either National or State Register of Historic Places the options open up considerably. Here is the link to the 20% tax credit: https://www.nps.gov/tps/tax-incentives/application.htm

Good Luck,

------------------------------
    Jeremi Bigosinski, PLA
    Faculty
    Norwalk Community College
    ------------------------------

AAM Annual Meeting & MuseumExpo, Baltimore, May 16-19, 2024, click to learn more

• 3.  RE: Public Funds for Private Restoration?

Posted 09-22-2021 03:48 PM

Thank you, Jeremi, I will take a look at this!

Just to clarify, though, this is not a structure or site, it is an object (a scoreboard). I can see how my query might have made it seem like it was maybe still part of the gym, etc. but it isn't. The gym was refurbished at some point and the scoreboard was replaced – this individual acquired the old board as his private property and is looking for funding resources to get it restored. Has anyone heard of states offering funding/tax incentives for preservation of privately held objects?

emailMichelle Nash
    Curator of Collections
    Elkhart County Historical Museum

Facebook28803-200

"Museum collection storage is both a physical space and an ongoing process."- NPS