Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Digitally Sharing Documents

Posted 04-08-2017 05:17 PM

Hello friends,

I was wondering if anyone can point me toward options for sharing collections items online, from the perspective of a small museum. The project I imagine is digitally scanning pages of a journal and posting them on a site that would allow viewers to look at both the original document and additional information, such as source information, notes, transcriptions, and comment. I know there are well-established programs that do exactly this, but from what I've seen so far the recurring subscription fees or the costs associated with hosting it on our own website server are prohibitive.

I am hoping for suggestions for open source / low-cost / online hosted / do-it-yourself ideas, but welcome recommendations for anything if you think it is worth the cost.

Thank you in advance for your thoughts and advice!

Sincerely,

Liz Schultz

Elizabeth Schultz

Executive Director

Oberlin Heritage Center

73 1/2 South Professor Street

P.O. Box 0455

Oberlin, OH  44074-0455

(440) 774-1700

liz.schultz@oberlinheritage.org

www.oberlinheritagecenter.org

AAM Annual Meeting & MuseumExpo, Baltimore, May 16-19, 2024, click to learn more

• 2.  RE: Digitally Sharing Documents

Posted 04-10-2017 08:38 AM

Hi Liz,  Yes, that is a good question, especially from the perspective of a small, low budget collecting institution.  We have been working on an arrangement with the State Library here in Maine to host space on their repository for our digitized collections.  They, in turn, provide a link through the Digital Public Library of America, DPLA, which makes these items searchable on the world wide web.  Perhaps your State Library, or similar institution, might have a similar program.  This still leaves the digitized items in your care, and you can record the metadata, key words, etc., yet makes them available to a much larger audience than might just visit your website.

------------------------------
    Colin Windhorst PhD

AAM Annual Meeting & MuseumExpo, Baltimore, May 16-19, 2024, click to learn more

• 3.  RE: Digitally Sharing Documents

Posted 04-10-2017 09:06 AM
    Hi Liz,

I wonder if it might be worth looking at Getty Scholars' Workspace, an open-source tool intended to accommodate digital surrogates of art historical works & to allow for annotation by users. There's a write up on the Getty Research Institute site:

It's maybe geared toward annotation than display, but worth a look.

Thanks-
    Mark

Project Archivist
    Archival Collections Management, NYU

• 4.  RE: Digitally Sharing Documents

Posted 04-10-2017 10:04 AM
    Hi Elizabeth,

At Spongelab, we create digital platforms that plug into the websites of museums, science centers and non-profits so they can share with their communities and train volunteers. Not open-source or free, unfortunately, but if you'd like to chat about options, drop me line at joseph.wilson@spongelab.com.

Check out Spongelab Corporate - STITCH 

Best,

Joe

Joseph Wilson
    Director, Business Development
    Spongelab Interactive
    Toronto ON

• 5.  RE: Digitally Sharing Documents

Posted 04-10-2017 10:17 AM
    Getty Scholar's Workspace sounds like a great option, I'll have to check that one out! You might also consider Omeka? Open Source software via the Roy Rosenzweig Center for History and New Media.

Omeka
    Omeka remove preview
    Omeka
    Omeka is a free, flexible, and open source web-publishing platform for the display of library, museum, archives, and scholarly collections and exhibitions. Its five-minute setup makes launching an online archive or exhibition as easy as launching a blog.
    View this on Omeka >

Jennifer Joyce
    Interpretive Guide
    National September 11 Memorial & Museum
    New York NY