Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Exhibition Revenue Statistics

Posted 10-15-2018 08:11 AM
    Hello all,

Does anyone know of a source that has statistics on how much revenue is generated from special exhibitions? Would any of you be willing to share that information from your museum, even for just the past two or three years? I know the numbers will probably be all over the place since there are so many variables, but what's important is the total amounts.

I'm trying to put together a picture of how much special exhibitions increase earned income, and would be happy to organize the information and share whatever I learn. 

Best,

Robin
    Robin White Owen
    M: 917/407-7641
    T: 646/472-5145

AAM Annual Meeting & MuseumExpo, Baltimore, May 16-19, 2024, click to learn more

• 2.  RE: Exhibition Revenue Statistics

Posted 10-16-2018 11:49 AM
    That would be great data to have.

------------------------------
    Betty Brennan
    President
    Taylor Studios, Inc.
    Rantoul IL

AAM Annual Meeting & MuseumExpo, Baltimore, May 16-19, 2024, click to learn more

• 3.  RE: Exhibition Revenue Statistics

Posted 10-17-2018 09:20 AM
    There are a few different ways to look at this. I don't think you'll be able to distill it down to a "special exhibits create on average x% higher revenues" - I mean you can, but the math behind it might be a little fuzzy. 

You can check out the Traveling Exhibits Network professional group for resources and info: Traveling Exhibitions Network (TEN)

Lisa Coleman
    Traveling Exhibits Coordinator
    The Children's Museum of Indianapolis
    Indianapolis IN

• 4.  RE: Exhibition Revenue Statistics

Posted 10-17-2018 05:17 PM
    Very similar to a question I asked recently, because my board seems to think there is a magic formula.  It seems that the consensus is that most special exhibits do not enhance revenue to an appreciable degree.  The exception might be a "blockbuster" type of traveling exhibit. Some surveys indicate that your core, permanent exhibits should be the biggest draw. Much depends on the market you are in.

David Beard
    Executive Director
    USS KIDD Veterans Memorial Museum
    Baton Rouge LA

• 5.  RE: Exhibition Revenue Statistics

Posted 10-18-2018 09:44 AM
    I love Colleen Dilenschneider's work on this:

Special Exhibits vs. Permanent Collections (DATA)

Carter O'Brien, LEED AP O+M

Sustainability Manager
    Science & Education
    Field Museum of Natural History
    312-665-7811

Learn about The Field Museum's green building initiatives here:

https://www.fieldmuseum.org/science/conservation/greener-field

• 6.  RE: Exhibition Revenue Statistics

Posted 10-18-2018 10:19 AM
    Thank you, Lisa. I was unaware of the Traveling Exhibitions Network but will definitely check them out. And David, I've read Colleen Dillenschneider's review of the pros and cons of special exhibits which someone posted a link to recently. I know this is a tough nut to crack!  Best, Robin

[Robin White] [Owen]
    [Principal]
    [www.mediacombo.net]
    [robin@mediacombo.net]
    [646-472-5145]