Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Looking for a Textile Curator

Posted 05-30-2017 03:47 PM

Does anyone have a recommendation as to where I should look to post a potential textile curator position? This would be a freelance job in Boston. I also need to know what the going wage is for this type of position. Thank you in advance for anyone who can help.

Barbara Elfman

Executive Director

Metropolitan Waterworks Museum

617-277-0065 ext 13

2450 Beacon Street

Boston, MA 02467

Barbara.Elfman@waterworksmuseum.org

@MetroWaterworks

AAM Annual Meeting & MuseumExpo, Baltimore, May 16-19, 2024, click to learn more

• 2.  RE: Looking for a Textile Curator

Posted 05-31-2017 06:01 AM
    You can send one to Fashion Institute of Technology, Textile Conservation (graduate program) and another to NYU, Costume Studies. There are many freelancing curators of textile. If you are in Boston, send an email to RISD in Providence or Salve Regina University in New Port.

------------------------------
    Kyunghee Pyun PhD
    College Art Association
    KyungheePyunCollege Art Association

AAM Annual Meeting & MuseumExpo, Baltimore, May 16-19, 2024, click to learn more

• 3.  RE: Looking for a Textile Curator

Posted 05-31-2017 09:30 AM
    Dear Barbara:

The best MFA programs in Fiber Arts that come to mind are:  Cranbrook, (Michigan), Art Institute of Chicago; and Savannah College of Art and Design -- and I'm sure all three have a career office or something similar; and I suspect all three have alums in or near Boston.  Also, in NYC is the Textile Arts Center, and they might have a job posting board or internet site for jobs.  Such a growing and exciting area...fun!

best of luck
    mj

Mara Jayne Miller

• 4.  RE: Looking for a Textile Curator

Posted 05-31-2017 10:48 AM
    Here are two resources that might help.  The second link is to a textile conservator in your area.

American Institute for Conservation of Historic and Artistic Works
    Conservation-us remove preview
    American Institute for Conservation of Historic and Artistic Works
    View this on Conservation-us >

Museum Textile Services
    Museum Textile Services remove preview
    Museum Textile Services
    New England's Premier Textile Conservation Studio.
    View this on Museum Textile Services >

Katherine Owens
    Curator of Collections
    Missouri State Museum
    Jefferson City, MO

• 5.  RE: Looking for a Textile Curator

Posted 05-31-2017 11:31 AM
    Hi Barbara,

You can post a notice to the Textile Society of America's Facebook page and/or put one in their newsletter.  Since many of us, myself included, work with costumes as well as with textiles, you can also post with the Costume Society of America, which has , both national and regional newsletters (Boston is in Region I). There is also a moderated costume professionals group on LinkedIn, though you may need to have a group member post the notice for you.  There are many smaller groups comprising textile artists, some of whom also curate, so if your project involved contemporary fiber you may want to circulate a notice to groups such as the American Tapestry Alliance. If you want to concentrate on the greater Boston area, you might also contact the department of costume and textiles at the MFA and ask for referrals to local freelancers.

In my experience, there is no "going rate" per se; it will depend on the nature and scope of the project, your chosen curator's level of experience, and whether you are offering a fixed fee contract or an hourly rate.  Exhibition work is often negotiated as a flat fee (plus expenses if the curator is not immediately local), whereas collection management or evaluation work can be either flat fee or hourly. 

Hope that helps.  If you would be willing to consider a curator who is outside the Boston area, I would be happy to discuss the project with you.

Regards,
    Melissa

Melissa Leventon
    Principal
    [Curatrix Group]
    San Francisco CA