Open Forum

View Only
Expand all | Collapse all

AAM 2017 Discussion on Virtual and Augmented Reality

• 1.  AAM 2017 Discussion on Virtual and Augmented Reality

Posted 01-18-2017 12:18 PM
    Hi Everyone,
    I am convening a panel discussion at AAM 2017 on the use of VR/AR in museums as an interpretation tool and for marketing and comms.  It will be on Monday 8 May at 8.45am.
    I just wanted to know what burning questions you would like discussed. 
    We have on the panel:
    Barry Joseph, Associate Director for Digital Learning at the American Museum of Natural History, one of the early adopters of new technologies in galleries and a person who is a fountain of insight into the advantages and pitfalls of using VR and AR in museums.  From Barry, we will have the science communication perspective.
    Marco Castro Cosio, Manager of MediaLab at the Metropolitan Museum of Art.  He will give us the perspective of using VR/AR in an Art gallery setting.  Can it be used to bring art to life?  How do curators respond to the potential for VR in an art institution?
    John Durrant, Creative Director, BDH Design and Direction who will provide us with knowledge of how VR and AR are constructed and the creative process.  How do creative agencies work with museums to co-develop content?

We will look at:
    Is this a train we need to catch?  What happens if we ignore it?  Are we risking being left behind?
    Operations - headsets, mobiles, in-gallery or not - how to manage all of this in a crowded space
    Budget - is it still beyond most museum budgets?  What tech partners are there who might be keen to provide in-kind support to museums?
    Senior Management buy-in - is there full understanding of the potential and the investment requirement?
    Off-site / on-site - how to integrate VR/AR into marketing and on-site engagement
    Is it an effective learning tool?  Is it technology for technology's sake or can it provide something that no other interpretive tool can provide?

Let me know if you have any other questions that these experts can answer or if you have any really good case studies showing the good, the bad and the ugly of VR and AR in museums.

I want to make this session useful to all those who attend so your feedback is invaluable!  Many thanks!
    All the best and looking forward to seeing you in St Louis!
    Lizzy

Lizzy Moriarty
    T: +44 (0)798 097 3266

AAM Annual Meeting & MuseumExpo, Baltimore, May 16-19, 2024, click to learn more

• 2.  RE: AAM 2017 Discussion on Virtual and Augmented Reality

Posted 01-19-2017 09:16 AM
    Topics you plan to cover sound encompassing. I think it would be useful to discuss return on investment (ROI) strategies when developing such projects. I also keep thinking about the lifespan of such projects and what role that plays in development.

Mark

------------------------------
    Mark Osterman, Ed.D.
    Guiding Programs Manager
    Vizcaya Museum and Gardens
    Miami, FL 33141

AAM Annual Meeting & MuseumExpo, Baltimore, May 16-19, 2024, click to learn more

• 3.  RE: AAM 2017 Discussion on Virtual and Augmented Reality

Posted 01-20-2017 07:59 AM
    Hi Mark, many thanks for bringing up the ROI aspect which I will incorporate into the discussion.  Also the long-term aspect - I think new technologies demand new thinking and it is difficult for museums because we think in terms of exhibition development rather than the continuous prototyping that new technologies require. Hope to see you at AAM! Lizzy

Lizzy Moriarty
    Hindon

• 4.  RE: AAM 2017 Discussion on Virtual and Augmented Reality

Posted 01-19-2017 10:11 AM
    Great topic!  We have been discussing this as well and there are some great ideas for use in the museum world.  Under the Operations topic, I would also suggest discussing staffing required for these areas.  There will be regular cleaning and battery replacement (or a steady power supply) required that museum staff will need to assist with.  Also, some AR/VR units can get very warm quickly so a plan might need to be in place to deal with the physical use of the units.  It might also be useful to have someone available quickly who can respond to any tech issues that may come up during operation.  I look forward to hearing more about how others are using this new technology in their museums.  

Matt Patrick
    Exhibit Logistics Project Manager
    Museum of the Bible
    Oklahoma City OK

• 5.  RE: AAM 2017 Discussion on Virtual and Augmented Reality

Posted 01-19-2017 12:44 PM
    Great relevant and important topic and speakers given how fast developments in AR/vr world are moving. Operational and roi questions critical for museums, also how to avoid short term investment without some form of future-proofing. Suggest those interested also stop by the Eti/videro booth at AAM to explore the ecosystem that can manage old and new technologies under one operating system. I very much look forward to this session!
    Audrey

Audrey O'Connell
    Audrey O'Connell + Associates
    audreyoconnell268@gmail.com

• 6.  RE: AAM 2017 Discussion on Virtual and Augmented Reality

Posted 01-20-2017 08:03 AM
    Hi Matt,
    It sounds as if you have some experience of operating new technologies in museums and those are really good issues to be aware of as they all add to the cost.  It would be great if you have any examples and can come to the session to give us some of your experience...  Hope to see you there, Lizzy  

Lizzy Moriarty
    Hindon

• 7.  RE: AAM 2017 Discussion on Virtual and Augmented Reality

Posted 01-23-2017 05:00 PM
    I think that AR has huge potential for revealing lost places. Neighborhoods ripped up for highways, ancient cities now a pile of rubble, that sort of thing. But the ROI discussion must start with the question of if people will use it. So far, I haven't heard of much that uses handheld technologies that gets more than about 5% usage. If you have a million visitors a year, you may decide that 50,000 users is good ROI. The Colosseum in Rome, for instance. But if you're the majority of sites, that's probably not good enough.

But I'm making a big assumption about usage percentages, based on old conversations. I'd suggest that you and your panelists should discuss actual data on use, what keeps it low, and what might make it higher. The first part of that--data on use--will require some homework in advance.

Excellent topic. I look forward to the results.

Steve Boyd-Smith
    Creative Director
    106 Group
    Saint Paul MN

• 8.  RE: AAM 2017 Discussion on Virtual and Augmented Reality

Posted 01-24-2017 05:55 AM
    Hi Steve,
    Your point is a good one and if anyone has any stats that we can share in the session about up-take of VR or AR in museums that would be really useful.  Most of the examples that I know of regarding use of VR etc. in museum are through programming activities with specific audiences rather than use in the galleries where visitors can use it or not at their choice.  
    If anyone has any evaluation for us to discuss, please let me know ahead of the session so that we can incorporate this useful feedback and discuss it.
    The ROI issue will always be front of mind for all of us, particularly in budget-stressed times.  Perhaps it is a very long-term ROI in that if Museums don't engage with the new technologies that their audiences are using outside the museum, will we eventually find our methods of communication don't engage our publics?  The flip side of that coin is that there is a role for museums to be a different space from normal life and an escape from all the 'push' technologies that surround us.
    Everyone, please feed in any experiences you have that might be useful for the discussion - my email address is below ...
    Thanks Steve, see you at AAM,
    Lizzy
    lm@lizzymoriarty.com

Lizzy Moriarty
    Hindon

• 9.  RE: AAM 2017 Discussion on Virtual and Augmented Reality

Posted 01-24-2017 08:19 AM
    The National Underground Railroad Freedom Center launched a VR program about six months ago and is apparently having great success with it. Rich Cooper is the head of museum experience there. http://freedomcenter.org/rosaparksexperience

Sarah Jencks
    Director of Education and Interpretation
    Ford's Theatre Society
    Washington DC

• 10.  RE: AAM 2017 Discussion on Virtual and Augmented Reality

Posted 01-29-2017 07:00 PM
    Hi Sarah,
    Yes, I tried it out at AAM last year on the developers' stand.  I'll get in touch with the museum to see if they have carried out any evaluation on it yet.
    Looking forward to seeing you at AAM,
    Lizzy

Lizzy Moriarty
    Hindon

• 11.  RE: AAM 2017 Discussion on Virtual and Augmented Reality

Posted 01-24-2017 08:34 AM
    One aspect of VR/AR that doesn't usually get discussed is how effective it can be for internal training.  Most museums whom are considering adding VR displays are usually looking at it from inside out in hopes that it will draw more visitors in, or add a premium value to admission.  The adverse of that is the training, and enhancement of knowledge of your staff.  VR can be used to simulate new exhibits, and allow volunteers and attendees to interact and learn about new exhibit components in ways they couldn't before making for more educated and knowledgeable people in your environments.

I find often people will return more often because of heightened customer service and knowledge than to try out a VR experience.

On the exhibition side, it's also important when incorporating VR to make sure that it flows seamlessly with your exhibit.  Often times VR experiences are one-off experiences, and although they are cool, or innovative, people tend to try them once, then move on.  It's critical that the experiences tie into the exhibit well, as well as your web properties.  You want to give people a reason to have to come back to the VR experience multiple times.  If it's a game, it's easy to layer in different easter eggs, achievements, or points that you can then tie in to rewards in your gift shop, or online store, or admissions to create a closed loop for your visitors.

Feel free to contact me if you have any other questions about VR, or technology in general!

Michael Mackay
    Manager, Sales & Marketing
    Spongelab Interactive
    Michael.Mackay@Spongelab.com
    Toronto ON

• 12.  RE: AAM 2017 Discussion on Virtual and Augmented Reality

Posted 01-25-2017 01:07 PM
    Thank you for sharing about this trending technology!  I would consider The Franklin Institute as organizations to look at how they are using VR, they have a mobile app anyone can download free, as well as two different ways of engaging in-gallery:
    Virtual Reality
    The Franklin Institute remove preview
    Virtual Reality
    The Franklin Institute's newest attraction brings science to life like never before. Virtual reality-the use of technology to create an immersive experience that can be explored or interacted with-allows visitors to experience environments and take actions not possible by most.
    View this on The Franklin Institute >

I also highly recommend this talk at Museum Computer Network 2016 that covers the VR trend, with many museum professionals adding to the conversation (including me):
    MCN2016 - NMC Horizon Report

YouTube remove preview
    MCN2016 - NMC Horizon Report
    The NMC's Horizon Report, created with input from many MCN members, has helped museums and universities set priorities for technology planning, research, and practice since 2010 (go.nmc.org/hzmu). The 2016 edition, due to be released in May 2016, contains several topics making their debut, such as information visualization and virtual reality.
    View this on YouTube >

Miranda Kerr
    Manager of Digital Learning
    John G. Shedd Aquarium
    Chicago IL

• 13.  RE: AAM 2017 Discussion on Virtual and Augmented Reality

Posted 01-29-2017 06:56 PM
    Hi Miranda, many thanks for this.  I've just checked out the Franklin Institute website - very comprehensive and easy to navigate and a really good idea to help people better understand VR.  This is such a good example of introducing visitors to VR in general and using it as an interpretive tool.  
    I'd really like to provide some overview of evaluation that has been carried out with visitors as that will be most useful to museums who haven't tried it yet.  Do you know of anyone who has done some in-depth evaluation?  I suppose VR itself is so new to visitors that they may well respond to that rather than the content ...
    Hoping to meet you at AAM!
    All the best,
    LIzzy

Lizzy Moriarty
    Hindon

• 14.  RE: AAM 2017 Discussion on Virtual and Augmented Reality

Posted 01-29-2017 07:07 PM
    Hi Michael,
    You make a very valid point about embedding VR into exhibition content so that it is not just a one-off gimick.  Difficult to do I think.  If you have any good examples, do come along to the session.  It will be useful to discuss depth of content/expense because the budget issue is something that has come up a lot with new technologies.
    I'd also be interested to hear your views on obsolescence and how to mitigate against it.
    All the best and see you in St Louis,
    Lizzy

Lizzy Moriarty
    Hindon

• 15.  RE: AAM 2017 Discussion on Virtual and Augmented Reality

Posted 01-30-2017 08:52 AM
    Hi Lizzy,

It does take some planning before hand on how to integrate the VR experience/game, but implementing game mechanics that encourage replay is actually quite simple.  

For example, we've designed a VR game set in the Victorian era, where the principle goal is to assemble a human skeleton as quickly as possible.  Now this could easily be a suit of armor, or some traditional clothing, or a dinosaur skeleton or something else relevant to your exhibit.  What we find though, is that although people understand the goal of the game when entering the experience, generally the first thing the majority of people do is try to test the limits of their new world.  They pick up items scattered around the room, they try to break things, throw things into the fireplace, and generally try to break the environment and learn it's rules.  It would be very simple to litter the environment with clues, codes, and achievements that visitors would then have to go to the museum's website to redeem to get a prize, or a discount.  That's one possibility. 

You are right though, it can be harder to avoid having the content become stale, due to the restriction of cost to create new VR content.  That again goes to careful planning of the content.  Game designers handle this by having a long term vision of a game, but releasing only the base mechanics in the first build, and then adding on more content on a regular basis based on that long term design.  That type of long-term thinking would be important as well for any type of implementation into a museum in order to help off-set costs of content creation as well as ensure the content keeps evolving over time.

Michael Mackay
    Michael.Mackay@spongelab.com
    Spongelab Interactive
    Toronto ON

• 16.  RE: AAM 2017 Discussion on Virtual and Augmented Reality

Posted 01-31-2017 01:35 PM
    You could plan a way for content to be updated periodically or randomize the environment.  We created an entertainment experience and no two times are the same but that is by design.  

Mike Sorrenti
    President
    VRgen / Gamepill
    Toronto, Ontario Canada
    www.vrgen.com
    www.gamepill.com

• 17.  RE: AAM 2017 Discussion on Virtual and Augmented Reality

Posted 02-03-2017 06:58 AM
    Hi Lizzy,

It's a very interesting topic. I've read in this thread that it hasn't been that common for museums to incorporate this technology into their galleries. I know one example of such a use. Check out the marketing campaign at the Sukiennice Museum in Krakow, Poland: Sukiennice "Secrets Behind Paintings"
    YouTube remove preview
    Sukiennice "Secrets Behind Paintings"
    Agency: Leo Burnett Warsaw Client: PZU S.A. / National Museum in Krakow Brand: Sukiennice Creative Director: Heinze Iwinski Copywriter: Pawel Heinze Art Director: Krzysztof Iwinski Head of Digital: Sebastian Oszczepalinski
    View this on YouTube >

Natalia Keller
    Art Historian, Collections Department Researcher
    Museo Nacional de Bellas Artes
    Santiago, Chile

• 18.  RE: AAM 2017 Discussion on Virtual and Augmented Reality

Posted 02-14-2017 04:47 PM
    Hi Mike,
    It would be good to hear more about how much more it costs to create content that is always new and how you have to plan in order to achieve this.  Randomizing the environment sounds really good.
    Looking forward to hearing more at AAM.
    All the best,
    Lizzy

Lizzy Moriarty
    Hindon

• 19.  RE: AAM 2017 Discussion on Virtual and Augmented Reality

Posted 02-14-2017 04:43 PM
    Hi Michael,
    I just love the idea of the visitors going crazy and testing the environment and trying to break it - just as with mechanical interactives that get a good bashing from visitors too.  It would be good to look at costs of keeping content fresh and introducing new levels of competition into the content.  
    Many thanks,
    Lizzy

Lizzy Moriarty
    Hindon

• 20.  RE: AAM 2017 Discussion on Virtual and Augmented Reality

Posted 02-15-2017 08:32 AM
    Hi Lizzy,

Once the core mechanics of a game, or experience are designed and built, it's relatively cheap to add new content to that existing build, so long as those core mechanics aren't greatly changing.

For instance with the bone builder example, it wouldn't be all too hard to replace the bones with a suit of armour you have to build, or a neanderthal skeleton, or some type of animal skeleton.  It also wouldn't be particularly costly to change the environment either, for instance to mimic a room or hall in your museum to add more immersion.

We also build our games with data hooks embedded in the designs that link directly to our platform technology that give us granular data on how people are interacting with the games themselves.  You can then make changes based on how interactions are occuring in the game, rather than assumptions which could lead to expensive reiterations.

Check out the trailer if you like;
    The Enlightened League of Bone Builders & the Osseous Enigma - Teaser Trailer
    YouTube remove preview
    The Enlightened League of Bone Builders & the Osseous Enigma - Teaser Trailer
    A teaser trailer for our new virtual reality game for HTC Vive, presented at the AR and VR Arcade in Toronto. Now available in the Steam store: http://store.steampowered.com/app/517550/ #ELBBOE - - - INVIVO Communications. Immerse yourself. Visit us at http://www.invivo.com or find us on Twitter @INVIVOcom.
    View this on YouTube >

eCambrian Game Trailer

YouTube remove preview
    eCambrian Game Trailer
    It's survival of the fittest in the Cambrian with the most ruthless test of evolutionary fitness: Dating.
    View this on YouTube >

Michael Mackay
    Spongelab Interactive
    Toronto ON

• 21.  RE: AAM 2017 Discussion on Virtual and Augmented Reality

Posted 02-17-2017 01:23 PM
    Happy to set a call to discuss.  My # is 416 857 4821

Mike Sorrenti
    President
    VRgen / Gamepill
    Toronto, Ontario Canada
    www.vrgen.com
    www.gamepill.com

• 22.  RE: AAM 2017 Discussion on Virtual and Augmented Reality

Posted 02-20-2017 01:08 PM
    Hi Lizzy,

Thanks for starting this thread and putting the panel together! Sorry I'm late joining the discussion, but we just joined the AAM last week so I'm still catching up on various forum threads.

I think the topics you describe cover a lot of the important territory. One addition to that list of items that I think might be helpful would a more general outlook on VR/AR technology. Deciding what VR/AR platforms to design museum experiences for has significant implications on experience design, project cost, and (with technology changing so rapidly) experience lifecycle. There are pros and cons for each platform, and one of the things that we often get questions about from our museum partners is how the VR landscape and audience will evolve - and this ties into the question of "Should we jump on this train now? Or later? And if we jump on the VR/AR train, which of the many trains should we jump on?" (full disclosure: my company is building a platform/ecosystem to help museums and VR developers build, promote, and generate ROI from virtual museum experiences).

Other fascinating topics might include things like experience design strategies, monetization strategies, visitor service implications (particularly for in-exhibit VR), best practices for VR/AR creative briefs, opportunities for VR/AR in development strategies, etc.

Really, there's just a ton of fascinating stuff to discuss. I'm looking forward to the conversations at AAM 2017!

All the best,
    Chris

Christopher Modzelewski
    Immerseum Inc.
    http://www.immerseum.io

• 23.  RE: AAM 2017 Discussion on Virtual and Augmented Reality

Posted 02-28-2017 11:59 AM
    Hi Chris,
    Many thanks for your thoughts - monetizing VR/AR is a really good subject and one that everybody struggles with.  Up-charging in a gallery situation is complicated and on-line monetization does not always generate huge revenues so your experience will be interesting to hear.  I hope you can make it to the session.
    All the best and looking forward to meeting you,
    Lizzy

Lizzy Moriarty
    Hindon

• 24.  RE: AAM 2017 Discussion on Virtual and Augmented Reality

Posted 02-21-2017 09:39 AM
    I'd be really interested in this panel, we are considering AR for a number of things and it would be great to really delve into what that means in terms of experience and cost. Best, Geralyn

Geralyn Abinader
    Creative Producer
    New York Hall of Science
    Corona NY

• 25.  RE: AAM 2017 Discussion on Virtual and Augmented Reality

Posted 02-22-2017 02:22 PM
    Hello Lizzy and everyone else,

There's so much enthusiasm around AR and VR right now. The panel you've organized will surely be informative.

There will also be a panel called Mapping The Territory of Virtual Reality that I've organized for the Museums and the Web conference in Cleveland, on Friday, April 21st. Michael Haley-Goldman from the US Holocaust Memorial Museum, Richard Cooper from the National Underground Railroad Freedom Center, Brian Dawson from the Canadian Science and Technology Museum, and Susan Polton from the Franklin Institute will be on the panel. 

Each of these institutions has taken a different approach to providing VR experiences to their visitors, and we too will be trying to get as much information in as possible. Our panelists will share the evaluation and data they've accumulated, as well as talking about their 

goals for their projects, the process to get buy in/funding, bumps in the road and outcomes. We'll also explore the issues of managing risk, and working with partnerships.

If you're planning to come to MW2017, please come to this session. 

Lizzy, if you're not there I can share information from this session that you might be able to use.

[Robin White] [Owen]
    [Principal]
    [www.mediacombo.net]
    [robin@mediacombo.net]
    [646-472-5145]

• 26.  RE: AAM 2017 Discussion on Virtual and Augmented Reality

Posted 02-23-2017 05:57 AM
    I'm curious about reports of virtual reality motion sickness (discussed in the New York Times for instance) and what that might mean for how museums use it / access etc...

Jennifer Kingsley

• 27.  RE: AAM 2017 Discussion on Virtual and Augmented Reality

Posted 02-23-2017 09:09 AM
    Hi Jennifer,

Motion sickness hasn't been a major factor so far for us, though it does depend on the equipment you use.  We generally create VR experiences for the HTC Vive, which has very high resolution screens that display content at 120 frames per second.  Some of the other hardware, or using a google cardboard for instance don't have quite the ability to display at these speeds, which makes motion sickness more common.

The other major contributing factor to motion sickness in VR is how the content is displayed to the user.  Some VR experiences push content at users, or push users through content quickly at high speeds, like rollercoaster simulations.  these may be more susceptible.  Other instances have the user in control of their movement and their space in a more 1:1 ratio, like in our Bone Builders game and it seems to be easier for people to adjust to their surroundings without experiencing any illness.  We've even had someone go through the experience who suffers from extreme vertigo without any ill effects.

Generally our biggest issue is that users become accustomed to the VR environment, and try to physically interact with items that aren't actually real, like when they try to lean on a desk in the game.  Usually that problem can be solved through either good content, good exhibit design, or simple clear instructions to each user before they start the experience.

Michael Mackay
    Spongelab Interactive
    Toronto, Ontario

• 28.  RE: AAM 2017 Discussion on Virtual and Augmented Reality

Posted 02-24-2017 06:43 AM
    Hello-

When developing the experience it is very important to test and pull back on some of the motion effects to ensure that trusting visitors are having fun and aren't ill for the rest of their visit.
    While certain experiences may be fun, like a theme park ride, they make many visitors motion sick. Clarity with your developers about what your purpose is for selecting VR and choices during production, should keep your production on track. VR with interactivity may help to ground the experience as visitors are participating and exploring and not just watching.
    Good luck!

Trent Oliver
    Managing Director/Principal
    Blue Telescope Studios
    New York NY

• 29.  RE: AAM 2017 Discussion on Virtual and Augmented Reality

Posted 02-26-2017 11:21 AM
    Hi Jennifer,

It's important to give people some time to get acclimated to the virtual environment they're in before moving them around. If you've made the effort to thoroughly document a real environment or to digitally create one then you'll want to let people explore it until they're ready to move ahead anyway. 

It's  important to choose the VR equipment that best supports the experience you want to create, as others have said.

It will also help to have some sort of physical support - a bar, a wall, a table for people to steady themselves against if they need to. 

Best,

[Robin White] [Owen]
    [Principal]
    [www.mediacombo.net]
    [robin@mediacombo.net]
    [646-472-5145]

• 30.  RE: AAM 2017 Discussion on Virtual and Augmented Reality

Posted 02-28-2017 11:53 AM
    Hi Robin,
    Wow - I wish I could be at that session and thank  you for offering to share findings with me - that would be great and it will mean that we can make our session really up-to-date, particularly with regards to visitor evaluation and, bumps in the road/budgets/finance etc.
    Thank you so much, good luck with your session and looking forward to catching up - are you going to AAM?
    Lizzy

Lizzy Moriarty
    Hindon

• 31.  RE: AAM 2017 Discussion on Virtual and Augmented Reality

Posted 02-24-2017 10:20 AM
    Hi all,

A thought: Audio tour apps can function as a very basic form of augmented reality (ways to tell stories and engage visitors with what *isn't* seen). Audio tours can be a more affordable and accessible option for institutions who might not be technologically nor financially able to develop a site-specific augmented reality-based app. 

Some examples of how audio tours can guide a visitor into an augmented reality:

• Scenario: There is a monument to a Confederate general in the center of a city. The associated plaque addresses the Confederate general, but does not address other issues, such as slavery and racism.
      • An audio tour for that site could provide more thorough information and history. The viewer is left to be able to reflect on the object/space/place, while listening to interpretations that will change the way they view the object/space/place.
    • Scenario: An art museum is is housed in a historic building. The museum wishes to share the history of the building with visitors, but does not have the staff or docents available to lead tours. 
      • An audio tour that focusses on the history of the building (including sound effects and music from associated era's) would activate and enliven the space. This type of supplemental content is a way to tie-in other subjects, like architecture (math/engineering), history, and sociology. 
    I have worked at small museums and currently freelance with an audio guide app, UniGuide. We are currently developing scripts and producing up to 60 minutes of content, per site/institution at no cost, with the hope that institutions would choose to work with us on future tours and content.

If anyone would like to discuss this further, please email me at Lauren@uniguide.me

Best regards,
    Lauren B. 

• 32.  RE: AAM 2017 Discussion on Virtual and Augmented Reality

Posted 02-28-2017 12:03 PM
    Hi Lauren,
    You 'are right - there are many ways of using the senses and we don't have to use all of them with our technology - audio only allows the visitor's imagination to explore the subject.  It is good to remember that we should only use the technology if it really enhances the visitor's understanding/experience.  I hope to see you at AAM.
    All the best,
    Lizzy

Lizzy Moriarty
    Hindon

• 33.  RE: AAM 2017 Discussion on Virtual and Augmented Reality

Posted 05-02-2017 09:48 AM
    Edited by Jennifer Morris 05-02-2017 09:49 AM
    Hi all,

I'm late in joining the thread, but I wanted to bring this website to everyone's attention: Art Glass - Augmented Reality for Cultural Heritage.

ARtGlass is an augmented reality company dedicated solely to cultural heritage sites. They've structured the company in a way that museums have the option to pay nothing up front, in exchange for a greater percentage of ticket sales. This seems like a real plus for museums that want to do something innovative but don't have huge funds sitting around for "extra programming." Looking forward to meeting everyone next week!

Best, Jennifer

Jennifer A. Morris
    Cultural Heritage Partners, PLLC
    Washington, DC

• 34.  RE: AAM 2017 Discussion on Virtual and Augmented Reality

Posted 05-03-2017 05:51 AM
    Hi Jennifer,
    Thanks for posting this really useful tip.  We will add the URL to our list of interesting museum related projects in VR/AR etc.  The list URL will be shared at the session and we will follow up on Museum Junction with a link to it for everyone who couldn't make it to the session.  The list also has resources such as reports on VR in museums, and more general reports on the development of new technologies and their markets. We'd love this to become a live document that people can add to so that museums can see what each other are doing and contact each other about new projects, learning, evaluation etc.
    Looking forward to seeing you in St Louis next week!
    All the best,
    Lizzy

Lizzy Moriarty
    Hindon

• 35.  RE: AAM 2017 Discussion on Virtual and Augmented Reality

Posted 05-04-2017 08:06 AM
    I don't know if anyone is headed up to Canada for CASC 2017 this week, but we're holding a panel on VR in Science Centres that may be appealing to some people here.

CASC | ACCS 2017
    Spongelab remove preview
    CASC | ACCS 2017
    We invite you to join us May 4-6, 2017 at the Canadian Association of Science Centres (CASC) Annual Conference in Toronto. CASC's 15th Annual Conference is expected to welcome over 150 delegates from across our country.
    View this on Spongelab >

Michael Mackay
    Spongelab Interactive
    Toronto, Ontario

• 36.  RE: AAM 2017 Discussion on Virtual and Augmented Reality

Posted 05-04-2017 08:45 AM
    Hi Lizzie,

Fantastic - thanks so much! Very much looking forward to meeting everyone and hearing what your museums are doing with VR/AR next week.

Best,
    Jennifer

Jennifer A. Morris
    Cultural Heritage Partners, PLLC
    Washington, DC

• 37.  RE: AAM 2017 Discussion on Virtual and Augmented Reality

Posted 05-07-2017 09:56 AM
    Dear Lizzie,

I am keen to attend your session on VR/AR.

I am working alongside the villagers of Amaravathi, South India, to address their heritage and development goals attuned to their culture and vision.  Amaravathi is a sacred site and village in Andhra Pradesh Indian state, relating to Mahayana Buddhism, its birth and spread all over Asia. Dating back to 5th C BCE. The Amaravathi Heritage Town hosts significant Buddhist remains and importantly the people who speak Telugu and represent two millennia from the Satavahana Empire on. The town has been designated a new capital zone and as a heritage town with the support of the Indian Government. I am developing it as an ecomuseum of some 300 acres. I was born here and speak the local languages and dialects. I moved back here after 35 years in Australia and Denmark.

I am currently working on co-curating a major exhibition with the daughters-in-law of the village focussing on  Buddhism & Feminism.

I have had several presentations from specialists who are keen to use AR to reanimate the Town and create an immersion in the main museum hub in the village or even the largest Buddhist Stupa in South Asia, which is in the heart of the village. Sustainability, honouring the first voice of women and value for money are the main concern for us. In my very very limited exposure to VR/AR, I find the domain a bit Androcentric. I could be wrong. We are keen to maintain gender parity as we move forward with VR/AR.

I look forward to learning from the session.

----------

Prof. Amareswar Galla, PhD

Chief Curator, Amaravathi Heritage Town & Bapu Museum, A.P & International Heritage Adviser, AP Govt. India.

Email. director@inclusivemuseum.org 

Amareswar Galla PhD
    Executive Director
    International Institute for the Inclusive Museum

• 38.  RE: AAM 2017 Discussion on Virtual and Augmented Reality

Posted 05-08-2017 05:15 AM
    Hi Amar, great to hear from you and welcome to the session where we very much want to discuss the issues of budget and diversity.  We all need a better understanding of how we put the user/visitor first and ensure that the technology serves the purpose and not the other way around. Certainly the tech companies are keen on more content aimed at women to broaden their market. Is this an opportunity for museums to work with them and how?  
    We are following the discussion with a demo in the area outside Room 221 of some tech such as Oculus rift, Holocube and Google cardboard.
    It will be great to catch up on your years since ICOM Rio and hear more about your social engagement projects. 
    All the best,
    Lizzy

Lizzy Moriarty
    Hindon

• 39.  RE: AAM 2017 Discussion on Virtual and Augmented Reality

Posted 05-16-2017 07:27 AM
    Hi Everyone,
    First, just to say a big thank you for your interest in the session.  It was packed out and the questions were really engaging.  I just wanted to follow up with the link to a google doc that we have created which has a tab with simple tips on creating visitor centered VR/AR and another tab with a list of interesting case studies of museums/cultural organisations using VR/AR.  It is a live document so please add to it if you have interesting case studies.  Just a description and the url.  We hope that this will be a useful reference point for museums wanting to find out what is being done and where the sector is taking it.  The link is: Get Hands-on with Virtual Reality!  I hope your travelled home safely and see you at the next AAM!  
    All the best, Lizzy

Lizzy Moriarty
    Hindon

• 40.  RE: AAM 2017 Discussion on Virtual and Augmented Reality

Posted 05-17-2017 08:50 AM
    Thanks for sharing these resource documents. They are very useful as we will be developing a VR platform over the course of this year.

Best,

Mark

Mark Osterman, Ed.D.
    Adult Learning and Engagement Manager
    Vizcaya Museum and Gardens
    Miami, FL 33141