Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Advice on engaging high school students in summer camp

Posted 01-29-2018 04:54 PM
    Hi everyone, we have the opportunity to engage paid high schoolers and we would like to use their assistant in the summer camp, what are the limitation of using them in the field? I appreciate if you would share your thought.

------------------------------
    Maryam Ghadiri
    Education & Research Director
    Environmental Learning Center
    Vero Beach FL
    AAM Annual Meeting & MuseumExpo, Baltimore, May 16-19, 2024, click to learn more

• 2.  RE: Advice on engaging high school students in summer camp

Posted 01-30-2018 09:28 AM
      |   view attached
    ​I've used high school students as volunteer assistant counselors and in other roles and they've been fantastic. I've found that they key with working with this age range is making the expectation exceptionally clear and getting parent buy-in. I've attached one of the agreements I have students and parents sign for one of our volunteer positions if you're looking for an example.

By the way, if you will be at AAM this year in Phoenix, some of my colleagues and I will be presenting a session on working with teens.

Regina Lynch
    Curator of Education
    Biggs Museum of American Art
    Dover DE

Attachment(s)

AAM Annual Meeting & MuseumExpo, Baltimore, May 16-19, 2024, click to learn more

• 3.  RE: Advice on engaging high school students in summer camp

Posted 01-31-2018 03:21 PM
    Dear Regina,

thanks so much for your feedback and sharing the job description. Unfortunately, I wont be at AAM.

best, Maryam

Maryam Ghadiri
    Education & Research Director
    Environmental Learning Center
    Vero Beach FL