Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Translation Services

Posted 01-23-2019 12:55 PM
    Dear Colleagues,

What companies have you used to translate exhibit content for people visiting your museum? I am specifically looking to translate English into Spanish and French.

Thank you!
    Valerie

------------------------------
    Valerie Seiber
    Collections Manager
    The Hershey Story: The Museum on Chocolate Avenue
    Hershey PA
    AAM Annual Meeting & MuseumExpo, Baltimore, May 16-19, 2024, click to learn more

• 2.  RE: Translation Services

Posted 01-24-2019 09:09 AM
    I have used Acclaro (Professional Translation Services | Acclaro
    Acclaro remove preview
    Professional Translation Services | Acclaro
    Acclaro provides top-quality translation and localization services, adapting products and information to help you to succeed in markets around the world.
    View this on Acclaro >
    )  

And Rev.com (Transcribe Audio to Text | Transcription Website - Rev
    Rev remove preview
    Transcribe Audio to Text | Transcription Website - Rev
    Online audio transcription, video captions and document translation services. For immigration, business, legal, academic and personal needs. Transcribe audio to text, create captions and subtitles for videos and translate documents with fewer hassles and better results.
    View this on Rev >
    ) for French translation services.  I have also used Rev for German, Spanish, Chinese and Japanese translations.  Only the Spanish translation seemed spot on and did not need many edits.  

Rev is $.10 a word, Acclaro is $.15 a word.  

Rev is more of a literal translation service whereas Acclaro takes into account cultural interpretation as well.  Both still need a trained speaker to review.  I typically work with my partnering institutions that will receive the translated material to review the content.  They are typically more than happy to review as it is in their best interests to have it right. 

Hope this helps.

Rich

Richard Bradway
    Director of Digital Learning and Engagement
    Norman Rockwell Museum
    Stockbridge MA

AAM Annual Meeting & MuseumExpo, Baltimore, May 16-19, 2024, click to learn more

• 3.  RE: Translation Services

Posted 01-30-2019 03:19 PM
    ​Ericksen came to my attention while I worked at the National Gallery of Art. The company provided good service. With any translation, proofreading by a native speaker is necessary -- just as editorial review is advisable in English. You should make contact with a nearby university or consulate and ask for assistance in checking the translations if the languages are not spoken by members of your staff. Hearst Castle provides brochures in several languages including Hindi, Chinese, and Hebrew. Review by native speakers was essential, and they were delighted to assist us.

Mary L. Levkoff
    Museum Director, Hearst Castle
    Hearst San Simeon State Historical Monument
    750 Hearst Castle Road
    San Simeon CA 93452

• 4.  RE: Translation Services

Posted 01-24-2019 09:52 AM
    Hi Valerie,

I run a small translation company that specializes in translation for museums. Some of my client include the Phillips Collection, Desert Museum, and Ford's Theatre in the U.S., and the Prado and Vatican Museums abroad.

I personally translate between English and Spanish, and I work with a team of colleagues to translate into other languages (including, of course, French). In my experience, museums are better served by individual translators or specialized boutique agencies, since the larger agencies' model involves translating extremely high volumes of text at lower prices, assembly-line style. This works well for certain industries, but since cultural nuance is often extremely important in museum texts, most institutions are better served by someone who can offer individual attention and who is familiar with the museum world (e.g., someone who skims the AAM forum every morning!).

With respect to Richard's comment above, I'd just like to chime in that Rev has a very mediocre reputation among translators. I've never worked with Acclaro, so I can't offer first-hand info on their practices, but I believe their reputation is quite a bit better than Rev's.

Feel free to get in touch (for a quote or just for background info on the best way to go about working with translators): info@kgdtranslation.com or (520) 477-7507.

Kevin

Kevin Gerry Dunn
    Translator

www.kgdtranslation.com
    info@kgdtranslation.com
    (+1) (520) 477-7507

• 5.  RE: Translation Services

Posted 01-24-2019 11:10 AM
    I agree with Kevin that Rev is mediocre...I have used them when time was a constraint or budget was a (bigger) constraint...and needed something quick or cheap.  Everything I do, I run by a native speaker for quality assurance before sending anything out into the Museum.  I would have the native speaker do the translation to begin with but the person typically does not have time to do it, especially if there is a lot to translate.  I typically have more luck getting that person to QA something that was already translated, albeit mediocre, and the person typically does it for free and makes all the corrections.  The end product of doing it this way, makes for a better product given the time and especially monetary constraints.

Acclaro is what my French-Speaking colleagues in France recommended for what I needed to translate for their Museum.  They seem very happy with it.

Richard Bradway
    Director of Digital Learning and Engagement
    Norman Rockwell Museum
    Stockbridge MA

• 6.  RE: Translation Services

Posted 01-24-2019 12:15 PM
    I've used Eriksen Translations for the last few years (after discovering them at an AAM annual conference) and have been very happy with them. They have a museum/cultural practice niche which, echoing the sentiments of an earlier poster, is important--we're an art museum and there's a lot of art-historical terminology used that I don't think a generalist would grasp.

Carrie Sanger
    Manager of Marketing & PR
    Meadows Museum - Southern Methodist University
    Dallas TX

• 7.  RE: Translation Services

Posted 01-25-2019 11:44 AM
    Hi Valerie

I and other colleagues at the Denver Art Museum have used The Translation Team for English to Spanish translation and have been happy with them. With each project they do for us, they get better at understanding our museum "voice." We don't do French to the same extent as we do Spanish, and when we do it is from French to English not the other way around. I have an excellent individual translator who does both German and French into English. Feel free to email me personally at DAM if you think you could use someone like her: lcaruso@denverartmuseum.org

Micaela Novas 
    The Translation Team
    micaela.novas@thetranslationteam.com

Laura Caruso
    Director of Publications
    Denver Art Museum
    Denver CO
    Director of Publications

• 8.  RE: Translation Services

Posted 01-28-2019 11:56 AM
    I'm always in the market for translation services, and currently in need of top-notch English to French. Would be grateful for any names. 

I have a wonderful Norwegian translator, should anyone need a reference.

Audrey

Audrey Walen
    Manager of Publications
    American Federation of Arts
    New York NY

• 9.  RE: Translation Services

Posted 01-31-2019 09:00 AM
    we use MAPA out of Framingham, MA. They are well-priced, accurate, and have an incredible turnaround time. Please let me know if I can put you in touch!

Julie Arrison-Bishop
    Special Projects Manger
    The House of the Seven Gables
    Salem, Mass.