Open Forum

View Only
Expand all | Collapse all

Increasing frontline membership sales

• 1.  Increasing frontline membership sales

Posted 02-01-2018 08:44 AM
    Hi all,

I wanted to share an article I recently wrote on how to increase frontline membership sales and to see how other organizations have found success around this.  What has worked for you?

5 Ways to Increase Museum Membership Sales
    Linkedin remove preview
    5 Ways to Increase Museum Membership Sales
    I've worked in museums for a long time now and have always been surprised when I see under performing sales teams. Visitors coming to an institution
    View this on Linkedin >

------------------------------
    Conor Hepp
    Director
    Barnes Foundation
    Philadelphia PA
    AAM Annual Meeting & MuseumExpo, Baltimore, May 16-19, 2024, click to learn more

• 2.  RE: Increasing frontline membership sales

Posted 02-02-2018 07:09 AM
    I think one of the bigger problems is how/when you can get a visitors' attention to make them aware of membership and to try to sell them on it once you have that sales-oriented staff. We're often asking front line/VS staff to do so many things and convey so much information all at once to people who don't really want to listen to it and just want to get in to see the museum. And getting no after no after no, is so exhausting that often that staff give up with good reason. Maybe institutions with a dedicated membership desk get different opportunities, but places i've worked the main opportunity is ticket counter or gift shop when visitors are not necessarily predisposed to being receptive. 

That said, educators giving tours you should be required to be aggressive in making this pitch.

Mabel Rosenheck PhD
    Wagner Free Institute of Science
    Philadelphia PA

AAM Annual Meeting & MuseumExpo, Baltimore, May 16-19, 2024, click to learn more

• 3.  RE: Increasing frontline membership sales

Posted 02-02-2018 10:43 AM
    At my previous post we tried this. Our problem was much like the one mentioned: No taking its toll.  Also, many of our volunteers, in particular, were uncomfortable asking people to join, even though we had a good, simple script for the pitch.  You would think that it would be a no-brainer for a local family with kids who are paying half or more of a Family membership on that one visit, not to mention gift shop discounts.  Not everyone is a natural salesperson.

David Beard
    Executive Director
    USS KIDD Veterans Memorial Museum
    Baton Rouge LA

• 4.  RE: Increasing frontline membership sales

Posted 02-05-2018 08:47 AM
    Hi Mabel,

You're absolutely right about getting the no.  Getting shot down over and over again can really take it out of staff (and you).  I have found that a solid incentive program can keep some staff going.  If they can see the cash value for themselves in the one yes, it can make a difference.  I have also seen some success in getting staff to understand the concept of counting down to a yes.  That makes it easier for some.

I'm a firm believer in the importance of all staff understanding the value of membership.  The floor staff and guides should be trained, not so much in how to do a hard sell, but rather how to start conversations with guests in a way that elicits their interests.  If you can get the guest talking about what part of their visit they really enjoyed, you have a better understanding of what the guest values and how a membership can fill that need.

Conor Hepp
    Director
    Barnes Foundation
    Philadelphia PA

• 5.  RE: Increasing frontline membership sales

Posted 02-05-2018 12:02 PM
    Edited by Emily Tremain 02-05-2018 12:03 PM
    I use a game to help my staff feel better about rejection in sales. The psychology behind it is pretty simple - you get rewarded for asking. So if you are trying to get your reps more comfortable with simply asking people to sign up for memberships, this game can be a great way to improve their asks.

Give each rep a small bucket and a bunch of poker chips (or beads, paperclips, etc). Every time they ask for a membership and are rejected, they can add a poker chip to the bucket. At pre-determined times during the day, you will go around and count all the chips in everyone's bucket and give the winner a small reward for asking the most. I call it the "No Game" because they earn rewards for hearing the word no. Small, inexpensive, or cheesy rewards are good, like a branded pen, silicone bracelet, or a postcard.

I started this game when I worked retail and would play it whenever the cashiers would start complaining about being rejected a lot. When played, we would see a modest increase in credit card sales during the first day and a drop off in sales if the game continued over the course of several days. The longer the game went on, cashiers would go from feeling comfortable with hearing the word no to not trying for the sale. Be cautious about over doing it. If you want to try it, I would suggest doing it for a short period during the busiest time of day, or doing it all day once every couple of weeks or months.

Emily Tremain
    Admissions Manager
    Carnegie Science Center
    Pittsburgh PA

• 6.  RE: Increasing frontline membership sales

Posted 02-06-2018 08:18 AM
    Hey Emily,

That's a really interesting method of bolstering the staff and encouraging them to go on!  Did you get any push back from them when you started it?  If so, how long did it last?  I've found there is always a bit of push back when you start these kind of things, but the amount and length depends on how large the change.

Conor Hepp
    Director
    Barnes Foundation
    Philadelphia PA

• 7.  RE: Increasing frontline membership sales

Posted 02-07-2018 11:43 AM
    ​Hi Conor,

Given that it was framed as a game, pushback was pretty minor. I kept the whole thing light and fun. The worst pushback was some cashiers that just did not want to play and didn't keep track with the chips. Given that the goal of the exercise was to make them feel better about hearing no, I wasn't too worried about the one or two people that didn't want to do it.

The best way to encourage everyone to participate was playing it for short periods of time. I would typically roll it out for one or two days, and start playing it right before our midday rush. I would count chips every 2-4 hours, depending on shift length. In a retail store with 4-5 cashiers working at one time, that meant that I would award prizes 3-4 times per day. Depending on how busy your ticket counter is, you might only count chips twice a day. We also didn't play it that often. When we were busiest, I would have them play one day every couple weeks. When we were slow, it would only be when I heard cashiers complain about getting rejected a lot, so maybe one day every couple months.

I hope that answers your questions!

Emily Tremain
    Admissions Manager
    Carnegie Science Center
    Pittsburgh PA

• 8.  RE: Increasing frontline membership sales

Posted 02-06-2018 11:19 AM
    A board member can up with the idea of a rain check and since instituting a few years ago, it has worked well for us. The rain check is given to guests and if after touring the museum, they have a change of heart about becoming a member, they can get a refund on admission and apply that towards a membership.

Marcia McKelvey
    Director of Administration
    Vesterheim Norwegian-American Museum
    Decorah IA

• 9.  RE: Increasing frontline membership sales

Posted 02-07-2018 08:40 AM
    Hey Marcia,

Getting something in the guests hands is always a great idea.  Do you give one to every guest or just those that are potential upsells?  What kind of message is on the rain check?

Conor Hepp
    Director
    Barnes Foundation
    Philadelphia PA

• 10.  RE: Increasing frontline membership sales

Posted 02-05-2018 11:38 AM
    ​Great article, Conor!   Membership on-site sales is so important!  We help a lot of clients with this process, and with the training aspect, too.  I would add a couple thoughts to this:

- Incentives work for the people buying the membership as well.  When we go on site to work for a client, we insist that there be a giveaway for anyone who joins - and environmentally friendly tote bag, a water bottle - things that people will use everyday.   It is amazing what power "Free" has on people's decision making!  Plus it make the sale easier for people who may be shy about making the ask.
    - Another great tactic, is to have the sales people work in front of the ticket counter, to greet and begin the ask before someone even lays out their money for tickets.  Being first with the ask is important.
    - Remind staff who may not feel comfortable with "selling" that they are actually doing people a favor by mentioning membership - a way to save money, visit more often, and enjoy more of what your museum offers.  Also, to be a success at on-site sales, you will only sell membership to 2% to 4% of the total non-member visitors - so getting a no is not rejection, just part of the conversation. And who knows, a no today could be a yes later.

Dana Hines
    President & CEO
    Membership Consultants
    Saint Louis MO
    dana@membership-consultants.com

• 11.  RE: Increasing frontline membership sales

Posted 02-06-2018 08:22 AM
    Hey Dana,

Awesome points!

Question about the free something issued when a membership is bought:
    Has anyone that you know of studied the effects of this giveaway on the revenue per person in the museum shop?  Does it seem to have any real effect?

Conor Hepp
    Director
    Barnes Foundation
    Philadelphia PA

• 12.  RE: Increasing frontline membership sales

Posted 02-06-2018 09:37 AM
    ​We approached our Guest Services Managers about an incentive for the staff to sell memberships, however, HR and the Managers did not think it was a good idea to implement some sort of competition and reward.  We do hold membership training when there are new employees and if any employee feels they need a refresher.  I believe that most of the staff are enthusiastic about our museum and its uniqueness, any other suggestions on how to get them enthusiastic about selling memberships?
    Thanks,

KarenLee Parmelee
    Membership Associate
    Grounds For Sculpture
    Hamilton NJ 08619

• 13.  RE: Increasing frontline membership sales

Posted 02-08-2018 11:17 AM
    Hi Karenlee,

I have actually found competition not just ot be a great motivator, but also team building.  We have a sales board in the office so that everyone can see each others numbers.  Not only do the top sellers keep a tab on the board to try to get higher, the team really seems to encourage those that either are struggling or new.

Conor Hepp
    Director
    Barnes Foundation
    Philadelphia PA

• 14.  RE: Increasing frontline membership sales

Posted 02-08-2018 06:07 PM
    Hi Karenlee,
    I manage a traveling membership sales team, and we offer sales trainings as well. I think it's good to hold periodic trainings, regardless of how long the employee has been there - for example, a new exhibit opening is a great time to refresh everyone on not just the exhibit information, but on the benefits of membership. We really focus on the purpose of membership and the benefits - when employees really grasp the advantages of being a member, often they find themselves wanting to share this great information, and then it's not 'sales', it's 'helping'. We use role playing as a tactic to improve familiarity with the benefits. 
    Best,
    Karen Mariani
    Membership Consultants

Karen Mariani
    Membership Consultants
    karenm@membership-consultants.com
    (314) 771-4664