Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Event Management Software

Posted 08-27-2019 01:08 PM
    Hi Colleagues,

My museum is looking into implementing an event management software for our programs. I'm trying to find a good balance between functionality and cost. We won't be managing our membership program, store sales, or selling admission tickets (we are free admission) through this software, so something like Blackbaud's Altru would likely be more than we need. Are any of you using a package that offers these features? Would you be willing to share any information about the pricing model (by transaction, by licensed user, etc.)?
    • good integration with main museum website - events created in system can be added to website event calendar
    • allows museum to communicate with registrants about any program changes
    • allows museum to sell tickets through website (users pay with credit card)

I'll appreciate any information people can share!

Regards,

------------------------------
    Erin Kernen
    Manager Finance and Administration
    Ackland Art Museum - University of North Carolina Chapel Hill
    Chapel Hill, NC
    AAM Annual Meeting & MuseumExpo, Baltimore, May 16-19, 2024, click to learn more

• 2.  RE: Event Management Software

Posted 04-27-2020 05:12 PM
    Hi Erin, 

Our special events office is also exploring implementing this type of software. Since your posting, did you select a software? If so, would you mind sharing? We are currently using a variety of systems to manage our events (Excel, EMS, Paperless Post, Raiser's Edge) and are primarily looking for an all-in-one system for storing event-specific information, sending virtual invitations, and registering guests online for our private, invite-only events. 

We'd really appreciate any advice you might have. 

Best,

Samantha Niese
    Staff Assistant
    National Gallery of Art
    Washington DC

AAM Annual Meeting & MuseumExpo, Baltimore, May 16-19, 2024, click to learn more

• 3.  RE: Event Management Software

Posted 04-29-2020 01:03 PM

Hi Samantha,

Because the scope of our project was pretty narrow, we ended up having a custom solution built for us by a small firm called Unity Web Agency. They built a system using Wordpress plugins that integrates with our new website. The new website, with the event management system, just launched, so I don't have a lot of feedback on how it's going. But one thing I can say is that Unity was able to work with the university's complicated PCI approval process and the system is compatible with Touchnet, the payment processing gateway that the university requires us to use. We plan to pay an annual maintenance fee that I think is pretty reasonable.

Good luck with your project!

Erin

Erin Kernen

Manager, Finance and Administration
    Ackland Art Museum
    University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill
    Chapel Hill, NC  27599

Erin Kernen
    Manager Finance and Administration
    Ackland Art Museum - University of North Carolina Chapel Hill
    Chapel Hill NC