Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Summer programs

Posted 04-23-2020 03:46 PM

Hi AAM community,

As with many museums, my Education department, as well as the entire museum, is looking at programming during the summer.  We are discussing appropriate steps and alternate schedules to take in regards to our camp program.  My questions to the museum community are: What format is your institution considering for camp?  What other programs is your institution considering for your visitors (tours, classes, other engagement opportunities)?

Thank you,

Jeanene

------------------------------
    Jeanene Watters
    Museum Educator
    The Cummer Museum of Art & Gardens
    Jacksonville FL
    AAM Annual Meeting & MuseumExpo, Baltimore, May 16-19, 2024, click to learn more

• 2.  RE: Summer programs

Posted 04-24-2020 08:32 AM
    Hi Jeanene,

We have decided to offer a few virtual home school art classes through June and then continue with our regular onsite art camps in July. We have scheduled two additional camps in July in hopes that we can move the current registered participants from June into those camps.  

I hope this helps!

Patricia Dees
    Director of Education
    Booth Western Art Museum
    Cartersville GA

AAM Annual Meeting & MuseumExpo, Baltimore, May 16-19, 2024, click to learn more

• 3.  RE: Summer programs

Posted 04-24-2020 12:13 PM
    We are investigating a virtual summer camp that is different than the free content we've been adding to social media channels. We want to make a clear distinction between the two. In a pre-covid world, we would be offering two camps for two age ranges with a small fee. 

To gauge interest in a virtual camp with registration and possibly at-home art kits, we're putting out a survey to our constituents via e-newsletters and social media channels. This will help navigate some of the unknowns for us, a small academic museum with a regular younger (ages 6-15) audience following year 'round, but especially in the summer months. Our university is not allowing in-person programming, including to the general public, until a later date (at this point, definitely through the summer and possibly into the fall). 

I'm interested in other approaches, too. But this was a place for us to start!

Best,
    Katie

Katie Christensen
    Curator of Education and Statewide Engagement
    University of Wyoming Art Museum
    Laramie WY