Open Forum

View Only
Expand all | Collapse all

Project management software

• 1.  Project management software

Posted 07-09-2019 06:31 PM

Good afternoon,

Does your museum use a project management software or app to manage the exhibition calendar or related projects? We would like the ability to manage tasks, but we're also looking for a good calendaring function where we can show installation/deinstallation time + exhibition dates, and be able to move the whole lot around on the calendar. Currently we're using Excel, but it's clunky. If so, please share - software/app name, pros and cons, etc.

Many thanks,

Kristi McMillan

Adult Programs Manager | 828.253.3227 x122 | kmcmillan@ashevilleart.org

ASHEVILLE ART MUSEUM | Opening summer 2019 | 2 South Pack Square, Asheville, NC 28801

M PO Box 1717, Asheville, NC 28802 | F 828.210.9826 | ashevilleart.org

AAM Annual Meeting & MuseumExpo, Baltimore, May 16-19, 2024, click to learn more

• 2.  RE: Project management software

Posted 07-10-2019 10:09 AM
    Hi Kristi. Our firm uses SmartSheet to manage feasibility studies, campaigns, etc. I realize it's not the same as managing an exhibition calendar, but I believe it has all the functionality you described.

------------------------------
    Laura MacDonald CFRE
    President
    Benefactor Group, LLC
    Columbus OH

AAM Annual Meeting & MuseumExpo, Baltimore, May 16-19, 2024, click to learn more

• 3.  RE: Project management software

Posted 07-11-2019 09:07 AM
    Edited by Marci Silverman 07-11-2019 09:06 AM
    Hello,

Does anyone use Microsoft products for project management (not Excel)? How about Asana, Wrike, or Freedcamp? I'd love to move beyond Outlook and Excel files to manage more complex projects! Would love to hear who uses what and if they feel it's worth the expense. 

Thanks,
    Henry Cabrera
    Associate Vice President for Visitor Experience
    The New York Botanical Garden
    2900 Southern Boulevard
    Bronx, NY 10458

Original Message:
    Sent: 07-10-2019 10:08 AM
    Subject: Project management software

Hi Kristi. Our firm uses SmartSheet to manage feasibility studies, campaigns, etc. I realize it's not the same as managing an exhibition calendar, but I believe it has all the functionality you described.

Laura MacDonald CFRE
    President
    Benefactor Group, LLC
    Columbus OH

• 4.  RE: Project management software

Posted 07-12-2019 10:38 AM
    We use Smartsheet too and are very satisfied. It's very intuitive and good for in-house/out-of-house collaboration. We've been on Basecamp, Mavenlink, and Teamwork thanks to clients that have brought those to our table and Smartsheet is our favorite. Mavenlink is our least favorite for numerous reasons. Basecamp and Teamwork are quite comparable. Feel free to call if you have questions. No, I'm not a rep for any of these companies!! :)

Matthew Kirchman
    President | Creative Director
    ObjectIDEA
    Salem MA

• 5.  RE: Project management software

Posted 07-12-2019 11:16 AM
    We use Asana for Exhibits project management and Wrike for Email workflow.  Decently happy w/ both.

--
    Melissa Felder
    415-710-0643
    Chief Revenue and Marketing Officer
    California Academy of Sciences

Discover the shape-shifting, color-changing, and ever-evolving nature of skin in the new, multilingual exhibit Skin: Living Armor, Evolving Identity-now open.

• 6.  RE: Project management software

Posted 02-28-2023 05:42 PM

Hi Melissa,

I am looking for other museums using Asana.  Are you still using Asana and curious to know what kinds of projects you are doing in Asana.  We have a variety of projects across departments and are moving our Strategic Plan to Asana.  Curious to learn how you are using.

Thank you,

Allyson

Allyson Johnson
    Gallery Teacher
    Clyfford Still Museum
    Denver CO

• 7.  RE: Project management software

Posted 07-12-2019 11:50 AM
    Marci,

I know our Exhibition Coordinator uses Microsoft Visio for project management but I don't know enough details to tell you how or what other software she also uses.

Kiku

Kiku Langford McDonald
    she/her/hers
    Database Manager
    RISD Museum
    Providence RI

• 8.  RE: Project management software

Posted 07-16-2019 09:31 AM
    We use a combination of Asana and Smartsheet which has worked out good so far. We have used Smartsheet for more of the marketing and communication side and Asana for exhibition and development side. So far we are happy!

Amanda Magoffin
    Crystal Bridges Museum of American Art
    Bentonville, AR

• 9.  RE: Project management software

Posted 02-28-2023 05:44 PM

Hello Amanda,

I work at a small art museum in Denver and we have used Asana for over a year now.  It has been a great tool.  Next step is to add our Strategic Plan into Asana.  Have you heard of any museums using Asana for this?

Thank you,

Allyson

Allyson Johnson
    Gallery Teacher
    Clyfford Still Museum
    Denver CO

• 10.  RE: Project management software

Posted 07-15-2019 09:49 AM
    Kristi,

I have had good experience using Basecamp as a project management tool. The platform was flexible and robust and allowed for good document and image management along with general project/exhibition management features. We are now exploring Gantty https://www.agantty.com/en/ at the Lowe Art Museum. We have not deployed the system yet and are in the research phase. The platform is completely free and appears to be pretty robust, though I am not sure it accommodates for image and document uploads as of yet, but certainly is based on the Gantt chart visualization tool/project management method. I have also been exploring Microsoft Planner which comes as an app with Office 365 and offers free project management tools if you have Office 365. This is considered a lightweight project management tool but if you have Office 365 it is worth exploring. In the end you want as much integration as possible across platforms to minimize unnecessary noise and increase participation.

Mark Osterman, Ed.D.
    Adult Learning and Engagement Manager
    Vizcaya Museum and Gardens
    Miami, FL 33141

• 11.  RE: Project management software

Posted 03-01-2023 09:28 AM

I'm afraid AGantty is no longer free for teams, only individuals with a single project. That said, it is cheap.

Tod Hopkins
    Hoptod LLC
    443-472-5978
    todhopkins@me.com

• 12.  RE: Project management software

Posted 07-15-2019 11:05 AM
    Hello Kristi, 

Base Camp is great solution.  Excellent tool for collaboration for Board Members, Staff and other resources. 

Thanks,

Mandi Toutsch
    P: 650-336-3121
    E: mandiltoutsch@me.com
    www.linkedin.com/in/manditoutsch/

• 13.  RE: Project management software

Posted 07-16-2019 10:07 AM
    Hi Kristi,

We have been experimenting with Slack on my team. So far, I think its a great way to conduct collaborative work. It is easy to communicate about specific projects and it has Google Drive integrated so it is easy to collaborate on documents. It is also free to try. 

Megan
    School Programs Manager
    Bell Museum
    University of Minnesota

Megan Earnest
    Bell Museum of Natural History - University of Minnesota
    Saint Paul MN

• 14.  RE: Project management software

Posted 07-22-2019 07:15 PM
    Hi!  We use Trello on my team and are finding it works really well and is easy to use on desktop or phone app.  You can upload photos, links, etc. and tag users when you need them to see something specific.  You can also set up deadlines, alerts, etc. for projects.  We're just using the basic free package and haven't yet felt a need to even consider higher tiers of the app.

Hope that helps!

Heather Cummins
    Gallery Programs Coordinator
    Bell Museum of Natural History - University of Minnesota
    Saint Paul MN

• 15.  RE: Project management software

Posted 07-22-2019 08:16 PM
    We just successfully used Trello for a POS/CRM implementation.  

--
    Melissa Felder
    415-710-0643
    Chief Revenue and Marketing Officer
    California Academy of Sciences

Discover the shape-shifting, color-changing, and ever-evolving nature of skin in the new, multilingual exhibit Skin: Living Armor, Evolving Identity-now open.

• 16.  RE: Project management software

Posted 07-26-2019 10:09 AM
    Many thanks to everyone who replied to this thread!

Kristi McMillan
    Adult Programs Manager
    Asheville Art Museum
    kmcmillan@ashevilleart.org | (828) 253-3227
    Asheville, NC

• 17.  RE: Project management software

Posted 03-01-2023 07:01 PM

I am obsessed with SmartSheet and have used it in multiple ways in my museum and consulting career. Please be in touch if I can answer questions or help!

Julie Arrison-Bishop
    Founder
    MuseumTastic
    Beverly, Mass.

• 18.  RE: Project management software

Posted 03-01-2023 07:15 PM
    I second Julie's recommendation for SmartSheet. 
    At ObjectIDEA it has replaced Excel, FileMaker, and FastTrack. 

Matt Kirchman

President and Creative Director

Planning and Design

617-233-8702

9 Naples Road, Salem, Massachusetts 01970

http://www.objectidea.com/

• 19.  RE: Project management software

Posted 03-02-2023 05:36 AM

We also use SmartSheet to manage client projects and internal processes at Benefactor Group. Among other benefits, our clients can adopt it affordably and it is intuitive to use.

Laura MacDonald, CFRE

(she/her/hers)

Principal & Founder

o: +1-614-437-3000/c: +1-614-668-3863

signature_3317099344 

• 20.  RE: Project management software

Posted 03-02-2023 10:01 AM
    Edited by Brian Hewitt 03-02-2023 10:01 AM

We don't have an agreed upon project management platform institution-wide, but after lots of trials and experimentation (including Airtable, an older version of Wrike, Trello, Jira, and external vendor relationships in Basecamp and Teamwork), we seem to have found some widely agreed upon momentum with Monday.com. The flexibility seems to make it a good fit for a variety of purposes, both in terms of the data fields for tracking and the ways it can be displayed (including calendar and Gantt chart). They do have a substantial nonprofit discount available. 

In my experience, project calendars are maintained better when people are actively using the tool to track their work, rather than a planning document/calendar/tool that's isolated from task tracking.

Brian Hewitt
    Manager, Digital Experience Design
    Corning Museum of Glass
    Corning, NY