Open Forum

View Only
  • 1.  Monthly Membership Reoccuring Membership

Posted 11-19-2019 06:54 PM
    Hi Friends!

This past year we have converted to Altru and we are looking into charging a reoccurring monthly fee option for our basic membership levels. Does anyone have any experience with charging monthly fees? Or setting something like this up in Altru? What do you wish you knew when you set it up? Do you find a problematic number of people abuse this system? How has it impacted enrollment into your membership program? Any numbers on renewal improvement? 

I can't find much data on this anywhere. Any help, input or reference to someone who would know would be much appreciated!

------------------------------
    Maria Rose Reynolds
    Manager of Member Relations
    Cleveland Museum of Natural History
    Cleveland OH
    AAM Annual Meeting & MuseumExpo, Baltimore, May 16-19, 2024, click to learn more

• 2.  RE: Monthly Membership Reoccuring Membership

Posted 11-20-2019 08:20 AM
    Hi Maria!

I remember a lot of folks talking about this at bbcon. I know the Portland Museum of Art in Maine does something like what you're talking about and they seemed to think it worked great. If you're not already in touch with them, let me know and I can connect you.

I'd also recommend posting your question on the Altru Community if you haven't already (I didn't see it but may have missed it) https://community.blackbaud.com/products/altru

Best,
    Kiku

Kiku Langford McDonald
    she/her/hers
    Database Manager
    RISD Museum
    Providence RI

AAM Annual Meeting & MuseumExpo, Baltimore, May 16-19, 2024, click to learn more

• 3.  RE: Monthly Membership Reoccuring Membership

Posted 11-20-2019 11:16 AM
    Maria,  You might check with the California Academy of Sciences in SF.  They were talking about doing this and their model included charging a larger price up front (perhaps three months worth of membership) so that if someone did jump ship after the first visit, they would have at least captured enough revenue to have covered the admission price of that visit.  Check with Mindee the membership leader there to see how that is going.  mkashiwagi@calacademy.org.

Dana Hines

Dana Hines
    Vice President Membership Marketing

Membership Consultants, A Gabriel Group Company
    Earth City MO
    Dana.Hines@gabrielgroup.com

• 4.  RE: Monthly Membership Reoccuring Membership

Posted 11-21-2019 09:34 AM
    Yep, CAS has a Installment Plan membership w/ automatic renewal.  Modest 1st payment and lesser 11 mo. payments there after.  We've integrated (somewhat painfully) w/ both Gateway and new Tessitura.  Mindee or Miranda can help you.

Melissa Felder
    Chief Revenue & Marketing Officer
    California Academy of Sciences
    San Francisco CA

• 5.  RE: Monthly Membership Reoccuring Membership

Posted 11-21-2019 11:19 AM
    Thank you Melissa!

Maria Rose Reynolds
    Cleveland OH

• 6.  RE: Monthly Membership Reoccuring Membership

Posted 11-21-2019 11:19 AM
    Thank you so much Dana!

Maria Rose Reynolds
    Cleveland OH